[GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom for the PlayStation. Beta 4 Released [11/16/2022]

Any chance of the GZDoom Builder (Custom) tools being ported to Linux? I'd love to make maps for this!

EDIT: I was missing some dependencies and Winetricks wasn't installing them.

Edited by Individualised

I have been thinking, after all the maps are done, should people try to port wads' maps such as Alien Vendetta's or any other to a ps1 style? When I started thinking of it I imagined it would rather have a nice look, mostly to see how far ps1 doom limits can go on these types of maps. Even tho sadly can't test it on my own with the low experience I have on map making, but might try one day if feel inspired to or something, anyways it's a great job what's being pulled out with this project, I hugely like it!

Edited by Colonel Dark

20 hours ago, Colonel Dark said:

I have been thinking, after all the maps are done, should people try to port wads' maps such as Alien Vendetta's or any other to a ps1 style? When I started thinking of it I imagined it would rather have a nice look, mostly to see how far ps1 doom limits can go on these types of maps. Even tho sadly can't test it on my own with the low experience I have on map making, but might try one day if feel inspired to or something, anyways it's a great job what's being pulled out with this project, I hugely like it!

I wanted to do this with some megawads... start with Fava Beans to test, then do the DTWID series, Revolution, Doom Zero etc, in the style of the existing ports of official levels in GEC. I really find the simplified geometry fascinating and want to see it applied more to levels I know. For DTWID2 I even had the idea to convert the Commander Keen levels into normal levels like what was done with Wolfenstein and Grosse in PSX DOOM CE (they possibly might come from The Lost Levels hack first?) I know Plutonia 2 was done a while back but I think they were just straight up conversions with the occasional coloured lighting and necessary simplifications, they weren't as different as some of the levels in GEC Master Edition.

It would be cool to see these as officially part of GEC Master Edition but permission to use these .WADs might be an issue, I know the Doom community is usually pretty open but I can imagine some .WAD authors objecting to it.

Edited by Individualised

Pretty sure GEC's stance on this stuff is that they'd like to stick to stuff id either did, directly approved of (i.e; Final Doom), or ex-id members did (i.e; Romero's extra maps).

Obviously other people can do whatever they please for whatever other mapsets they'd like to try to torture themselves into converting. :P

Edited by Dark Pulse

The only ones I'd want to see is Lost Episodes, Hell to Pay and Perditions Gate, the three commercial packs redone as another *type* of 'commercial' 'what if?' pack

Since I cannot get Freedoom GBA to run on my PSP, I decided to give the Master Edition a shot instead.

At first, I was disappointed that it did not combine the official levels and the "lost levels" into one epic package, but given the history of Doom's PS1 ports, I figured it only made sense that this release would also be a remix of levels from multiple mapsets.

Plus it does feel like an official third Doom game for the Playstation, complete with professional-looking intro videos.

All in all, chapeau!

Edited by Rudolph

10 hours ago, Rudolph said:

I was disappointed that it did not combine the official levels and the "lost levels" into one epic package,

I believe that's going to happen once it leaves beta, not before.

11 hours ago, Danfun64 said:

I believe that's going to happen once it leaves beta, not before.

Thus making the official releases obsolete? Oh my!

Anyway, I finally made it to the second level, which is Sewers, and I noticed the presence of translucent Hell Knights, which I do not remember from regular Playstation Doom. Are those the Nightmare Hell Knights mentioned earlier in this thread or are those regular Hell Knights with the Spectre effect applied to them?

Edited by Rudolph

2 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Thus making the official releases obsolete? Oh my!

Anyway, I finally made it to the second level, which is Sewers, and I noticed the presence of translucent Hell Knights, which I do not remember from regular Playstation Doom. Are those the Nightmare Hell Knights mentioned earlier in this thread or are those regular Hell Knights with the Spectre effect applied to them?

There is the nightmare spectre but based on your description i doubt its that. In which case, that looks like a bug, although it is first encountered on MAP02 in PlayStation Final Doom.

9 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

There is the nightmare spectre but based on your description i doubt its that. In which case, that looks like a bug, although it is first encountered on MAP02 in PlayStation Final Doom.

No? Any enemy in PlayStation Doom can have the Nightmare flag set. This mod uses extensive use of that.

4 hours ago, Individualised said:

No? Any enemy in PlayStation Doom can have the Nightmare flag set. This mod uses extensive use of that.

I stand corrected.

19 hours ago, Rudolph said:

There are various changes here and there. I can assume, it's a playtesting leftover. However, maybe GEC Team is following the same principle Williams Entertainment used when porting Doom to PSX to place the new set of monsters across all maps

On 5/25/2023 at 3:22 AM, Individualised said:

Moreover, the NM and spectre flags is used to add more monster variety because the added maps missing some of monster types due to tech limitations, so that flags did that job.

I am currently playing Master Edition Beta 4 with PsyDoom and I cannot locate the fourth secret in "Slough of Despair".

Is it a bug or a remnant of a previous version? I have found video playthroughs of that map and they appear to feature a secret switch that leads to a secret exit at the very beginning of the map, but I cannot find it here.

Edited by Rudolph

43 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

I am currently playing Master Edition Beta 4 with PsyDoom and I cannot locate the fourth secret in "Slough of Despair".

Is it a bug or a remnant of a previous version? I have found video playthroughs of that map and they appear to feature a secret switch that leads to a secret exit at the very beginning of the map, but I cannot find it here.

Spoiler

It's in the grated wall where the chaingun secret is. Once you've reached the normal exit, you'll hear a sound indicating that the wall leading to the secret exit has opened. It's timed, so you need to quickly go there.

9 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Ah! Thank you.

Is it repeatable or do I have to restart the level in order to try again?

I don't exactly know, you could try checking out first if you're curious.

2 minutes ago, taufan99 said:

I don't exactly know, you could try checking out first if you're curious.

Well, I had saved right before the exit teleporter, but as it turned out, I was not quite close enough to trigger the appearance of the secret switch! So I was able to get it on my first attempt.

Edited by Rudolph

Since this project is only focusing on id approved levels, I thought I'd share the remaining levels that aren't part of this project:

Some of these, like Shawn2, have the beginnings of a full map while others such as E5M1 and MAP36 could be salvaged into a Hell Gate-type Baron of Hell fight level.

• 2 weeks later...

I made it to the port of SIGIL's E5M1. It is well done, but if I turn around when I enter the "castle" area of the map (with the exit teleporter on the second floor), I can see a gap between the wooden floor and the doorsill where I can see through the floor due to the lack of texture.

Edited by Rudolph

• 3 months later...

The fact is found that "Digitized Pain" music track is used two times in a row in consequenced levels Trapped on Titan and The Titan Anomaly. I suggest just to swap levels The Titan Anomaly and The Farside Of Titan, but decision what to do on @Erick194, to swap a levels or change the tracks.

7 hours ago, riderr3 said:

The fact is found that "Digitized Pain" music track is used two times in a row in consequenced levels Trapped on Titan and The Titan Anomaly. I suggest just to swap levels The Titan Anomaly and The Farside Of Titan, but decision what to do on @Erick194, to swap a levels or change the tracks.

Then again, it happens in the official PSX Doom campaign when you take the secret exit in Twilight Descends to The Marshes (both use the track "Corrupted")

On 10/13/2023 at 9:11 AM, Impboy4 said:

Then again, it happens in the official PSX Doom campaign when you take the secret exit in Twilight Descends to The Marshes (both use the track "Corrupted")

But it doesn't mean this is an ok situation (:

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2023 at 2:26 AM, Vita93 said:

Is Sigil II going to be in Beta 5?

likely there wont be a "beta 5", as there are only a few maps left, and if there was, I doubt Sigil II will be in it. you can port it to PSX Doom using the Tools And Projects and a map editor (like Doom Builder PSX).

This also depends on when the last 3 maps will be finished, I guess. IIRC, there are three maps with Icon Of Sin which is converting by the GEC team (not sure how much percent of them is done). And full tools with multiple maps adding support will be released when Master Edition will be done, so there is a point. Even the last three maps still need an additional testing for bugs.

I'm not putting words into GEC's mouth, but I would be pretty surprised if there isn't a Beta 5.

It's not unusual for them to leap from project to project, and leave some of them sitting dormant for months, even years.

38 minutes ago, Tarvis said:

Imagine...if one more set of levels were ported, PSX Doom would come full circle.

That's a very nice point, although it will require some work with the engine to achieve the level of Doom 64 for Doom 2, and I'm not sure if it's possible to feet Mother Demon boss in there. I assume, some monster has to be substituted. On the other hand, it's not necessary to port the final map

Edited by Dimon12321