CatacombGL - source port for the Catacomb 3D games

Arno

On 4/16/2024 at 5:44 AM, taufan99 said:

While we're at it, would you consider adding an option to allow the Catacombs Trilogy to playback the unused Too Hot music file in the game data? Y'know, it's kinda lonely without in-game music there, even if it's a 16-second song with a repeated 8 bar in its entirety (lol).

Thanks for your suggestion. The Too Hot to Handle music file from Catacomb 3D (and Keen 4) is indeed present in the game data of every Catacomb Adventure title. It's relatively easy to allow playback as an option. I've added it to my todo list.

@WhiteMagicRaven Thank you!

I would also be very much interested in playing a widescreen HD version of Hovertank 3D. But I don't see myself developing it anytime soon, due to the required effort. What's also a hurdle is that the game data of Hovertank 3D is currently not available as either shareware/demo or a commercial package. Requiring players to obtain the game data from abandonware sites is not my idea of a smooth user experience.

If anyone's wondering, the rights to Hovertank 3D were bought ten years ago by someone from Germany, but so far that didn't lead to a commercial release. Hopefully that will change some day.

3 hours ago, Arno said:

@WhiteMagicRaven Thank you!

I would also be very much interested in playing a widescreen HD version of Hovertank 3D. But I don't see myself developing it anytime soon, due to the required effort. What's also a hurdle is that the game data of Hovertank 3D is currently not available as either shareware/demo or a commercial package. Requiring players to obtain the game data from abandonware sites is not my idea of a smooth user experience.

If anyone's wondering, the rights to Hovertank 3D were bought ten years ago by someone from Germany, but so far that didn't lead to a commercial release. Hopefully that will change some day.

I agree. I find it surprising that no one has so far found the Hovertank 3D situation such a big shame, other than those who have already known and could/can only shrug about it. Pretty sure @Blzut3, who initially suggested that the game be made open source, wouldn't be happy about this, right?

53 minutes ago, taufan99 said:

I agree. I find it surprising that no one has so far found the Hovertank 3D situation such a big shame, other than those who have already known and could/can only shrug about it. Pretty sure @Blzut3, who initially suggested that the game be made open source, wouldn't be happy about this, right?

My opinion doesn't hold any particular weight, but if you want to know anyway I'm honestly fairly indifferent.  I would like to see Havoc (Rene) get around to doing something with Hovertank and Shadow Knights, but I'm happy enough with the source code being published and the rights holder being a known entity.  To that end I probably should have asked Rene for a copy of the Shadow Knights source code for safe keeping but honestly didn't think he would sit on things for so long.  Hovertank is in an arguably better position than Keen Dreams is (locked up behind delusions of grandeur), although that situation is mitigated by the fact that the game data is shareware.

In case you're not aware, Havoc collaborated with me on porting the Catacomb II code base so I was in regular contact with him at the time.

That's a good point, @Blzut3.

From a game preservation point of view, the source code has indeed top priority, since it has the highest risk of becoming lost forever. That's taken good care of in case of Hovertank 3D.

With regards to the game data we at least know that there are many copies floating around. And if someone really has the interest, time and knowlegde to develop an HD version of Hovertank 3D, the rightsholder is known and can be contacted so perhaps an arrangement can be made.

16 minutes ago, Arno said:

That's a good point, @Blzut3.

From a game preservation point of view, the source code has indeed top priority, since it has the highest risk of becoming lost forever. That's taken good care of in case of Hovertank 3D.

With regards to the game data we at least know that there are many copies floating around. And if someone really has the interest, time and knowlegde to develop an HD version of Hovertank 3D, the rightsholder is known and can be contacted so perhaps an arrangement can be made.

I think I know a guy who's making a game directly inspired by Hovertank 3D... (While we're at it, I'd like the mod to split the topic, so that the thread doesn't get too derailed.)

On 4/16/2024 at 6:44 AM, taufan99 said:

While we're at it, would you consider adding an option to allow the Catacombs Trilogy to playback the unused Too Hot music file in the game data? Y'know, it's kinda lonely without in-game music there, even if it's a 16-second song with a repeated 8 bar in its entirety (lol).

I'm wondering, does that also include the Catacomb Apocalypse? Reason is that, assuming the information currently given in the following page is correct, it has an IMF file matching the length of Too Hot to Handle's IMF, only that it's filled with empty instructions: https://vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php/Too_Hot_to_Handle

I had the same observation as @SiFi270. I don't think that Wiki page is correct, at least not with respect to the version of Catacomb Apocalypse that is shipped with the Catacombs Pack.

7 hours ago, SiFi270 said:

I checked all four games in WDC and the one in Apocalypse sounds the same as the others.

3 minutes ago, Arno said:

I had the same observation as @SiFi270. I don't think that Wiki page is correct, at least not with respect to the version of Catacomb Apocalypse that is shipped with the Catacombs Pack.

So the info isn't correct, at least not for v1.01. What about another version? I know that The Catacomb Abyss had at least 3 versions out (shareware versions 1.12 and 1.13, plus registered v1.24); The Catacomb Armageddon had a version titled "Curse of the Catacombs", while The Catacomb Apocalypse had one named "Terror of the Catacombs".

2 hours ago, NY00123 said:

So the info isn't correct, at least not for v1.01. What about another version? I know that The Catacomb Abyss had at least 3 versions out (shareware versions 1.12 and 1.13, plus registered v1.24); The Catacomb Armageddon had a version titled "Curse of the Catacombs", while The Catacomb Apocalypse had one named "Terror of the Catacombs".

I just opened the game data of Catacomb Abyss v1.13, "Curse of the Catacombs" and "Terror of the Catacombs" in WDC. They all have that same music file, with sound and all.

I also tried Catacomb Abyss v1.12, but unfortunately WDC couldn't open it, so I'm not sure about that one. Nevertheless, I'm still positively surprised about the range of game versions that WDC can work with.