Community Chest 64

This seems interesting, could someone tell me the differences between doom builder x and doom 64 builder?

I may consider making a map from DOOM 64 :)

22 minutes ago, StevenC21 said:

@Bob9001 Different engines. Doom Builder X is designed for ZDoom, whereas Doom 64 Builder is for the Kex Engine.

That's somewhat of a misnomer. Doom64 Builder is designed for Doom64. There is no Kex map format. 

17 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

That's somewhat of a misnomer. Doom64 Builder is designed for Doom64. There is no Kex map format. 

But we're not making maps for Doom 64 Engine. It's an imitation engine by Kaiser. So technically @StevenC21 is right

Right, so can you still do most things in that editor compeared to the normal doom builder, which is what I was trying to ask, didn't know how to word it.

9 hours ago, Antnee said:

Doom 64 Excuse me, but do you have a minute to talk about the dark lord: A Community Project (Collectors Edition - Remastered)

I hope this was a joke title and not going to be the real one.

4 minutes ago, Bob9001 said:

Right, so can you still do most things in that editor compeared to the normal doom builder, which is what I was trying to ask, didn't know how to word it.

It doesn't matter anyway because you still need to use Doom Builder 64 to make the level work in EX. Using DB64 is very similar to DB2.

Just now, Bob9001 said:

Well I can't figure out how to run wadgen so I guess I can't do anything at this time.

What directory is your D64ex folder in?

1 hour ago, DeXiaZ said:

But we're not making maps for Doom 64 Engine. It's an imitation engine by Kaiser. So technically @StevenC21 is right

Actually no it isn't. It's an engine built out of a disassembly of Doom64's executable code. It isn't like Doom64, it is Doom64. An imitation would be the Absolution TC or the various ZDoom mods. 

Edited by Edward850

15 minutes ago, Antnee said:

What directory is your D64ex folder in?

The same place I have all my Doom wads and stuff related to Doom

4 minutes ago, Bob9001 said:

The same place I have all my Doom wads and stuff related to Doom

I think they meant if it's in a protected directory, like Program Files or something. If it is, you'll have to execute it as an administrator or move it somewhere else.

Edited by KVELLER

2 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

I think they meant if it's in a protected directory, like Program Files or something. If it is, you'll have to execute it as an administrator or move it somewhere else.

Right.  I put mine directly on the root. 

C:\Doom64ex\Doom64.exe

Edited by Antnee

Just now, Bob9001 said:

No I have my doom folder on my desktop.

Ok- so you have the doom 64 ROM in the same directory as wadgen.exe?

5 minutes ago, Bob9001 said:

Uh well, no because when I installed Doom64ex, it didn't install anything called wadgen.exe

image.png.2fff39cf8c97e18b29714f7a5d47d53c.png

This is what comes in the .zip from the downloads section.  You did grab both the game and the editor, right?

Edited by Antnee

A few other questions I have about Doom 64: 1. why doesn't it have freelook? 2. When I try test a custom map the game crashes and says "see crashlog" why would that be happening?

1 minute ago, Bob9001 said:

A few other questions I have about Doom 64: 1. why doesn't it have freelook? 2. When I try test a custom map the game crashes and says "see crashlog" why would that be happening?

1.) Because it's a true-to-source port.  (But I could have sworn it had mouselook)

2.) Depends on the map.  Post it.

58 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Actually no it isn't. It's an engine built out of a disassembly of Doom64's executable code. It isn't like Doom64, it is Doom64. An imitation would be the Absolution TC or the various ZDoom mods. 

No, you're wrong. Just open the freaking FAQ page:

wFtFFRF.png

IS THIS SO HARD TO GOOGLE INFO ABOUT THIS AND READ FEW WORDS ABOUT "What is the Doom 64 EX?"

It's AN IMITATION, goddamit. And Kaiser wrote it LOUD AND CLEAR.

fef9c56786.png

I also work with Kaiser, I know full well how Doom64Ex works, was built and was disassembled.

It's not an imitation, sorry, the word doesn't fit the use. To argue otherwise would require to argue that Chocolate Strife is also an imitation, and that conceptually is a weird argument. And while it isn't perfect and can't be, spec wise it's basically the same, right down to the map format (minus what Gez mentioned below).

Edited by Edward850

2 hours ago, Edward850 said:

There is at least one difference between a Doom 64 map ripped straight from the ROM and the same wad converted by wadgen, texture numbers. Doom 64 uses simple indices of the texture's position in the T_ namespace; Doom64 EX uses hashes of the texture's name. DB64, being geared for D64X, will read and write hashes only.

Huh, true, I forgot he made that change. So there are some specific format changes, just incase anybody tries to think of a way to write these back to a N64 ROM. :V

39 minutes ago, Bob9001 said:

It does have mouselook. I know it does because I use it!

As far as crashing, who knows. There are a dozen reasons why a Doom 64 EX map might crash. It is a delicate engine to map for.

42 minutes ago, StevenC21 said:

@Nevander Obviously its a joke title. Its just until we get an actually good one.

I think D64EX: Community Chest was a good one.

...But anyone worth their salt will always refer to it as D64EMBDYHAMTTATDL:ACPCER

8 minutes ago, Antnee said:

I think D64EX: Community Chest was a good one.

If we can't agree on any name, we should stick to this.