Community Chest 64

37 minutes ago, Immorpher said:

Hello everyone! I am posting this plan of action in case anyone objects or would like to help out. @styd051 and I are planning to port this collection to Nightdive's official remaster and the Nintendo 64. Here's what we're planning:

• First @styd051 will port the maps to the Remaster. Which sometimes requires changing how switches are set-up, sometimes widening sectors to fit the enemy sizes, and debugging macros.
  • Second, I will port @styd051's work to the N64, which sometimes requires fixing macros, and additional "no occlusion" flags.

Here's some additional things were hoping to do:

• Fixing bugs which can softlock the player and other potential progression bugs
  • Adding a brief storyline (akin to the size of the original Doom 64's storyline)
  • Adding a few additional maps from the community to make it a fuller set.

Let me know what you think!

Awesome, let me know if you want me to make changes to my map.

Edit: It's ashame this never got 32 new maps but I guess 23 is not bad at all.

Edited by Bob9001

Sounds great! I might humbly suggest to perhaps revise some of the map order - Beneath the Clay, MAP02, is one of the greatest D64 maps ever made, but it's also a very beefy map for a MAP02, and MAP04 by the same author is significantly shorter. Also, besides the secret and softlock bugs (I'm pretty sure all of these are documented on the DoomWiki, but we may have missed some), there were also some problems with the infamous "I SUCK AT MAKING MAPS" texture showing up in unintended places: I definitely recall this happening in Introger towards the end, and in Death Gate in one of the rooms with shotgunners I believe, but there's likely more examples.

4 minutes ago, Dynamo said:

Sounds great! I might humbly suggest to perhaps revise some of the map order - Beneath the Clay, MAP02, is one of the greatest D64 maps ever made, but it's also a very beefy map for a MAP02, and MAP04 by the same author is significantly shorter. Also, besides the secret and softlock bugs (I'm pretty sure all of these are documented on the DoomWiki, but we may have missed some), there were also some problems with the infamous "I SUCK AT MAKING MAPS" texture showing up in unintended places: I definitely recall this happening in Introger towards the end, and in Death Gate in one of the rooms with shotgunners I believe, but there's likely more examples.

don't worry I'm here to fix all the bugs on the maps that I find as I did them during my conversion on Beta64 Remastered and moreover I plan to add new content of the new maps to make a total of 32 maps to the place of 20 maps, it will be a bonus from me

Edited by styd051

21 minutes ago, Bob9001 said:

Edit: It's ashame this never got 32 new maps but I guess 23 is not bad at all.

We'll see if we can get it to 32! There have been a lot of single-map Doom 64 releases. And we have plenty of people to ask to see if they want their maps to be included in this set.

14 hours ago, Immorpher said:

We'll see if we can get it to 32! There have been a lot of single-map Doom 64 releases. And we have plenty of people to ask to see if they want their maps to be included in this set.

Yeah sweet, I had a look over my map a few weeks ago and since i made that about uh 2 years(?) there a few things i could change for the better so let me know if you want me to submit some changes for Map 31.

7 hours ago, Bob9001 said:

Yeah sweet, I had a look over my map a few weeks ago and since i made that about uh 2 years(?) there a few things i could change for the better so let me know if you want me to submit some changes for Map 31.

Go for it ! when you have finished send me your card and I will do the final checks ^^

On 12/21/2023 at 11:12 AM, Immorpher said:

Hello everyone! I am posting this plan of action in case anyone objects or would like to help out. @styd051 and I are planning to port this collection to Nightdive's official remaster and the Nintendo 64.

I did a version of my cc64 map that's compatible with the nightdive port as a standalone release which could be included in the new port

Just for the record my map name is "Doomsday keep" but for some reason i don't understand hardcore_gamer decided to rename it without asking me when he did the compillation, which i really disliked but i only had noticed this until many months after compillation.

I would very much appreciate if the new port used the original name instead of the sloppy rename

Edited by DMPhobos

• 2 months later...

Hey, I've been trying to modify my map but I can't seem to get it to open in Doom Builder and the link to Doom builder 64 is dead now in the first page of links for this thread.

49 minutes ago, Bob9001 said:

Hey, I've been trying to modify my map but I can't seem to get it to open in Doom Builder and the link to Doom builder 64 is dead now in the first page of links for this thread.

Try this fork by thekovic, which now also supports making custom maps for the original N64 engine with some tweaks.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I got the editor to work and it's up and running but now I can't even launch the map via the editor or D64 EX as I get the error message stating: "Exception caught in main".

So now I remember how much trouble I had with D64 ex and trying to playtest as i was making it...

11 minutes ago, Bob9001 said:

Ok I got the editor to work and it's up and running but now I can't even launch the map via the editor or D64 EX as I get the error message stating: "Exception caught in main".

So now I remember how much trouble I had with D64 ex and trying to playtest as i was making it...

I don't know what the problem might be (since the error tends to be rather specific in the context of D64 mapping limitations), but @Immorpher @Neigh Winny @United VirusX might be able to help.

Check out the D64 Compendium as well to find out what might cause the error.

Also, have you used the Remaster and/or EX+ as well?

Posted (edited)

Well originally there was no remaster so I got ex to work eventually but i can't remember what i had to do.

Yes, I've tried both; Remaster just opens and does nothing, no crash no error message etc.

EX opens Doom 64 then when i warp to map 31 I get the above error, or if i launch it from DB64 I get the message in the console instead of in the client.

EDIT: Looking at the crashlog.txt it says memory access violation, so maybe that has something to with Windows 11?

Edited by Bob9001

16 hours ago, Bob9001 said:

Well originally there was no remaster so I got ex to work eventually but i can't remember what i had to do.

Yes, I've tried both; Remaster just opens and does nothing, no crash no error message etc.

EX opens Doom 64 then when i warp to map 31 I get the above error, or if i launch it from DB64 I get the message in the console instead of in the client.

EDIT: Looking at the crashlog.txt it says memory access violation, so maybe that has something to with Windows 11?

@the_kovic said it usually has something to do with something wrong within the map; could be from an invalid macro, bugged sector(s), or just about anything else.

Do you mind giving the map you're working on, just so we can see what's wrong with it? If you're on the D64 Discord server, I think you could also get faster help over there.

Indeed I dont notice a map 31 in the released CC64. Feel free to message it to me and I will take a look!

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, taufan99 said:

@the_kovic said it usually has something to do with something wrong within the map; could be from an invalid macro, bugged sector(s), or just about anything else.

Do you mind giving the map you're working on, just so we can see what's wrong with it? If you're on the D64 Discord server, I think you could also get faster help over there.

Sorry I don't use discord enough to join that server :P

Sent you the map @Immorpher

Edited by Bob9001

• 1 month later...

@styd051 I'm proud to announce I have finished reworking Map 31. Let me know what you think after giving a playthrough.

One thing left to do is make all the switches change texture when activated but I forgot how to do that so apart from that minor detail everything has come along great for my vision :)

Here is the finished map and changelog.

Ancient_Dimension (Final).zip

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
On 4/27/2024 at 11:07 AM, Bob9001 said:

@styd051 I'm proud to announce I have finished reworking Map 31. Let me know what you think after giving a playthrough.

One thing left to do is make all the switches change texture when activated but I forgot how to do that so apart from that minor detail everything has come along great for my vision :)

Here is the finished map and changelog.

Ancient_Dimension (Final).zip

hey Bob9001 i thank you I just resumed the conversion of CC64 remastered recently and it's progressing rather well and don't worry about the switchs textures I will correct them manually ^^

I have a question do you want your map to be map 31 because in the old version it was map 19 if I'm not mistaken

Edited by styd051

2 hours ago, styd051 said:

hey Bob9001 i thank you I just resumed the conversion of CC64 remastered recently and it's progressing rather well and don't worry about the switchs textures I will correct them manually ^^

I have a question do you want your map to be map 31 because in the old version it was map 19 if I'm not mistaken

Hello, yes could you move it to map 31 please.

Only reason it was made map 19 was because the community project fell short of 32 maps like the original OP had envisioned. Hope you like what I've done, I'm very happy with the finished product, it is a mile better than the former map :)

21 minutes ago, Bob9001 said:

Hello, yes could you move it to map 31 please.

Only reason it was made map 19 was because the community project fell short of 32 maps like the original OP had envisioned. Hope you like what I've done, I'm very happy with the finished product, it is a mile better than the former map :)

noted, your map is now map31 in the remastered version !

and of more I also fixed the switches not being animated on your map.

18 hours ago, styd051 said:

noted, your map is now map31 in the remastered version !

and of more I also fixed the switches not being animated on your map.

Awesome, thank you very much.