Back to Saturn X Episode 3 [WIP]: 5 MAP PREVIEW BUILD ON PAGE 11

I have a different question: though BTSX is for vanilla, will there be a compendium wad with the whole trilogy once everything is out? For ports with mapinfo support.

On 6/7/2023 at 12:13 PM, esselfortium said:

A lot has been happening, for sure. Things kicked off in a pretty big way early last year, after a years-long burnout lull.

Holy Beanis! This is great news. BTSX is an all time fave of mine

5 hours ago, maxmanium said:

I have a different question: though BTSX is for vanilla, will there be a compendium wad with the whole trilogy once everything is out? For ports with mapinfo support.

Seconded - I'd love to see them packaged together.

• 1 month later...

This has been my "big wait" for literal YEARS. I graduated high school, entered adulthood, moved cross-country, all the while E3 was in development.

Love y'all. I'll check this out when I'm done with the current wad I'm playing.

Me: Man, nothing will be more exciting today than the Q2 Remaster!

Esselfortium: *cracks knuckles*

Congrats all! Can’t wait to try it out!

Whatever your personal opinions of BTSX E1/2 are, no one can dispute the top notch production quality of the entire saga so far and I am sure that episode 3 will continue this trend and offer a much more abstract adventure (going by the screenshots seen so far). I look forward to playing this later and thank you to the whole team for offering a taster of what episode 3 is going to be like.

5 minutes ago, s4f3s3x said:

Are these preview maps in final playing order like (actual) MAP01,02, 03, etc...?

Nope, they’re pulled from all over the map list.

Thank you so much for this! A more than welcome surprise since I recently replayed both E1 and E2. BTSX it's been one of my fav wads of all time. Congrats!

Most positively surprising news of the day. Gonna play it ASAP!

1 minute ago, Faceman2000 said:

The download link isn't doing anything for me, anyone else have this problem?

Whenever that happens I usually open the link in a new window and refresh the page.

It's one of those where Chromium based browsers (Chrome, Edge, Vivaldi etc.) determine the download link to be insecure and block the download without telling you, to protect you from yourself.  The usual workaround is to right click and select "Save As", and that worked for me here.

Edited by ENEMY!!!

Literally was not expecting to hear anything regarding BTSX E3 until 2024. Once I read about this news on Discord, I came running here.

1 hour ago, esselfortium said:

Happy QuakeCon, everyone! Have a 5-map preview build of Back to Saturn X Episode 3, because it's been way too long since the last BTSX episode came out!

A UMAPINFO-supporting port is strongly recommended (Eternity, DSDA, and GZDoom should all work), for the correct skies and map-picker menu.

Downloab: Preview Build 1

Textfile

image.png

(Sidenote: E2 Final is still on its way, but a number of critical bugs were found while doing "final" testing for it, because it is truly the project that never ends.)

nice! Now, I have to ask, what does this demo means. (and let's see if you choose to answer)

Does it mean the rest of the episode is almost finished or at least well in late developments stage, and in 5-10 months we will see a Episode 3 release?

Or are those levels almost the only ones finished, and the fact the demo is out now doesn't really mean anything, and realistically the Episode 3 release could be well three years into the future?

Depending of which, I will play them now or I will wait.

Edited by Turin Turambar

The full episode 3 release is planned for 2024. There is a lot more done than this, but we decided against spoiling too much in the demo.

To play, or not to playand wait for the full release instead, that is the question...🤔

Oh, hello weekend!!! Are we delighted to see you don't have any plans in you.

Edited by Uncle 80

Thanks for the sneak peak. What intrigues me is that while BTSX is no stranger to narrative maps, Xaser's demo level here promises an even more expansive take on the concept, namely more blood. The story maps with monsters (as opposed to the hub maps) in this series have mostly been carried by e2m1 & e2m26, although you can count the vague dressing around e1m24 as a story map too. "Creep doctor" seems to be much more ambitious though, so I do wonder if these kinds of maps will be more common in the final episode, in addition to the usual great levels. Regardless, looks dope; I enjoyed clipping around and shooting for a bit, but like some others I'll wait for the full release.

i wonder who bumped the thread this time?

2 hours ago, esselfortium said:

Happy QuakeCon, everyone! Have a 5-map preview build of Back to Saturn X Episode 3, because it's been way too long since the last BTSX episode came out!

A UMAPINFO-supporting port is strongly recommended (Eternity devbuilds, DSDA, and GZDoom should all work), for the correct skies and map-picker menu.

Downloab: Preview Build 1

Textfile

image.png

(Sidenote: E2 Final is still on its way, but a number of critical bugs were found while doing "final" testing for it, because it is truly the project that never ends.)

WTF?!?!!

It looks good.