RDVOX - Voxel/graphics pack oriented to use in Software renderers (Q/L/G/ZDoom, Delphidoom)

21 hours ago, Sylandro said:

It'd be great if you ever consider a similar pack for Doom 64!

What engine does it use?

8 hours ago, GRAU said:

What engine does it use?

GZDoom (sort of).

There's Doom 64 Retribution, which is just a total conversion made for GZDoom, but it's pretty faithful and my personal choice to play D64 because of all the quality of life changes it introduces.

And then there's GEC, which is a modified version of GZDoom that allows running the original Doom 64: 

Edited by Sylandro

• 3 weeks later...

i still have no result for improvement of lostsoul flame in attack state. But now i think about improvement of bfg attack graphics/ anoher thing that is still in progress is a cace with candles, made of skulls) but i got some progress and plan to finish it today. I would like everione to type - which of decorations does he want to see in voxel for the next time.

CandleSkullsA.png.a491b226eb3e0f0c7d41120b442c7523.png CandleSkullsB.png.512f7d5fd7cc0d03eed3c7694e080b39.png

11 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Stop being so awesome, GRAU. Seriously.

I'm not as awesome as was 2 month ago - now i need to spend much more time to earn money. But anyway i want to continue my projects, and RDVOX is primary

12 hours ago, Mike_C said:

tech column would be great to have in voxel

well, sorry, but i see noreason to work over columns - teamhellspawn pack had that and columns are the only things i see no space for imagination. they are round.. cylinder. But may be i will try to make my vision of tech column - who knows?)

Edited by GRAU

19 hours ago, GRAU said:

I'm not as awesome as was 2 month ago - now i need to spend much more time to earn money. But anyway i want to continue my projects, and RDVOX is primary

well, sorry, but i see noreason to work over columns - teamhellspawn pack had that and columns are the only things i see no space for imagination. they are round.. cylinder. But may be i will try to make my vision of tech column - who knows?)

Its funny that you mention Teamhellspawn - They used to have a ZDoom based SVN branch with voxel support. The current link only has voxel models, because ZDoom 2.6.0 added official voxel support in.

• Do you test your voxel work with ZDoom 2.6.0?

However, for a different question on the ZDoom forums i did some digging and found these ZDoom based builds. This ZDoom_Vox is not unlike the current one, its a 2.5.0 based build with an (r0) flag attached to it. Here is the link to that post, perhaps you and @jval may find this useful when testing out voxels pre-ZDoom 2.6.0.

19 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Do you test your voxel work with ZDoom 2.6.0

OFC. I run my pack on zdoom any time i need to make sure it still works and looks nice even without dynlights. I started to add dynlights only after i had excluded most of teamhellspawn voxels from my pack (looks like it was RDVOX 0.21)

and that moment i named it RDVOX

2 hours ago, GRAU said:

OFC. I run my pack on zdoom any time i need to make sure it still works and looks nice even without dynlights. I started to add dynlights only after i had excluded most of teamhellspawn voxels from my pack (looks like it was RDVOX 0.21)

and that moment i named it RDVOX

Great! There was a user on ZDoom Forums that may wanted to help out, but i assume this is not needed given your work?

I hope the ZDoom-Vox (VoxZDoom?) build is of some use to you!

On 3/23/2020 at 4:25 AM, GRAU said:

I would like everione to type - which of decorations does he want to see in voxel for the next time.

Burning barrel, if it hasn't been done already. Have only looked at the screenshots-- look great so far!

On 3/26/2020 at 8:19 PM, Redneckerz said:

I hope the ZDoom-Vox (VoxZDoom?) build is of some use to you!

does it has some difference from classic ZDoom 2.8.1?

On 3/26/2020 at 9:18 PM, Death Egg said:

Burning barrel, if it hasn't been done already

Good. I will add it in 0.4. I wanted to make it a long time before, but each time something stopps me (despite the fact that I already have an explosive barrel and I could just repaint it!)

21 minutes ago, GRAU said:

does it has some difference from classic ZDoom 2.8.1?

It likely does, because its a pre-release build of code that went official in 2.6.0, and its based on ZDoom 2.5.0.

It may serve as a interesting test case: To see if  your code also works on that unofficial build. It likely won't though because its experimental stuff, but if it does, you could then list support for it for those users that still have that build around. *

*Although we should assume most users atleast have the latest ZDoom, there will always be cases that just rely on one build and never bother checking forward - Despite 2.6.0 being 8 years old.

Its a fringe case, obviously, but like i said, it might be interesting to experiment with it - VoxZDoom did exist for a very long time before things got official, so no doubt that users used it back then for their own mods/works/whatever.

If it was an experimental build that only existed for a few weeks or so before being official, i would not have linked to this.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. I am still at work over this skull-cake... Well i have some proplems with imagining it's backside, but i dont want to make it mirrored, so it may take a bit ore time. I decided to start in parallel the burning barrel on the next week. Now skulls look so:

candleskulls.png

Well i have tried it on the map... Looks like i have to make the shadow on the skulls more contrast somewhere. To make more dark spots between or under some of skulls

Screenshot_Doom_20200422_113926.png

And i have also improved (at my opinion) the saturated green color - now this gradient looks a bit more saturated. Look yourselve - what i got:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20200422_115235.png.60e6adf933cd02f1c36e76fad12f790a.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200422_115320.png.0187349e227f0002cb90178bca7a9700.png

Screenshot_Doom_20200422_120821.png.320e2176db71eb51f9e3c07b590ff114.png

Edited by GRAU

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all! I'm here with some fine news! Today i had some free time and i decided to pause with skullcake and looked over other sprites to voxelize. I liked this baby:

Spoiler

chainsaw1.png.e0ea99aaf08d3ea11e564301b0af47ce.png

chainsaw2.png.a55b8988557695347531d57d9df0938d.pngchainsaw3.png.39103739eac74b2f0d4e1390108bfe3b.png

chainsaw4.png.7b83670c4c1a4463f7a2684abaa96fea.png

I know - this does not look 100% like sprite, but i tried not to copy 1 to 1 but to understand 1) the angle the saw on the sprite is positioned to the player 2) how really could it look from another side.

Here are some more images, i have improved this model, addad some details.

Spoiler

Screenshot-Doom-20200519-231605.png Screenshot-Doom-20200519-231606.png Screenshot-Doom-20200519-231611.png Screenshot-Doom-20200519-231621.png

Screenshot-Doom-20200519-231626.png

Also i plan new blood effects for version 0.4, bfg effect, and may be make some tests with gibs whe killing lets say imp.

Edited by GRAU

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like i have something to show! I still don't like the way this fire acrs, the barrel looks ready:

Screenshot-Doom-20200611-014120.png

Spoiler

Screenshot-Doom-20200611-014125.png

Screenshot-Doom-20200611-014733.png

Screenshot-Doom-20200611-014754.png

Edited by GRAU

here is some video demonstrating the fire in barrel and some other things

Added later:

Screenshot-Doom-20200612-015407.png

Spoiler

Screenshot-Doom-20200612-015434.png

Edited by GRAU

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all! I have improver blood effect. Another one thing id BFG shot, now it has reworked explosion animation, i even recorded video to show it and some other minor improvements:

• 4 weeks later...

I got some progress over candle-scull kind of cake) It as enough heavy to imagine some of its parts as 3D, and i still have some thing to do with ot but the finish is near

skullcandles_1.png

skullcandles_2.png

I'd like to have more time for it(( The job takes too much time.. Sometimes i imagine - if it was 1997 now and i could work in 3D Realms for example))) I would be happy to have voxels as job, but what if i dont know really how that could be? what if i disliked it soon if voxeling was my priima job?)))) Looks like i have to release RDVOX-0.40 without adding any more goods to this release

• 4 weeks later...

Well,looks like the RDVOX 0.40 for zdoomports is ready but i need to apply all he same changes to DelphiDoom version of RDVOX, before the release. And i want to show you something fresh thatisnot going to be included to RDVOX 0.40

pinky-pre.png.3f5c585cc572405ddf5c2dd59c03c095.png