Places to upload WADs

I like the second one because it generates automatically an SHA-1 sum of the uploaded file and files are not tampered with in any way, so I use it to upload historical files I manage to rescue.

Edited by Diabolución
It is actually ‘an SHA-1 sum’, not ‘a SHA-1 sum.’

To add to this, for a beta or early release candidate for your map, when you expect to make frequent changes to it, DropBox, Google Drive or similar is absolutely fine.

Although note that these have download caps so be careful if your mod is extremely large.

• 1 year later...

I'd also mention https://mega.nz/, the successor of ye olde MegaUpload and my personal favourite depository (its certainly faster for getting downloads from than garbagefire mediafire).

Edited by eharper256

• 1 month later...

Thanks for mentioning this @Diabolución, we will renew that cert and implement an HSTS header shortly 

EDIT: should be fixed now. Crispy and I thank you for the suggestion by the way!

Edited by Doomkid

Edit: Uh, sorry, I'm blind

But at least, iddqd.ru is kinda useful too.

Edited by Dexiaz

• 5 weeks later...

I just went to the forums to find some information about this and you just posted this. Great timing, thanks!

Was also thinking of github maybe.

Anyways, I think this should be a sticky.

Woops, I thought this was posted 5 hours ago, but it was just a reply and it's already a sticky.

Nonetheless a great post!

Edited by Contmotore
correction

• 2 months later...
On 4/26/2021 at 12:11 AM, Doomkid said:

Bumping this to add a link to the new idgames upload as well as to Reelvonic's uploader. More wad hosting sites is always a good thing!

Should remove the Reelvonic uploader now, he's been banned and his uploader website is no longer online.

Edited by Paf

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 3:47 AM, Paf said:

Should remove the Reelvonic uploader now, he's been banned and his uploader website is no longer online.

That man was pretty controversial tbh

• 5 months later...

Yep, Mod DB is great, both the Doom and Doom II sections (I was worried it wasn’t linked in the OP after reading this, but it is)

8 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Yep, Mod DB is great, both the Doom and Doom II sections (I was worried it wasn’t linked in the OP after reading this, but it is)

Yeah, I actually didn't see it which is why I posted, and then I went back to visit all the links you did post and saw that MDB was there the whole time. I wish I could delete my own posts but unfortunately, I cannot so I tried messaging two mods about it n they haven't gotten back or read it yet.

Well, if I'm gonna bump the topic, might as well say something that hasn't quite been said yet.

Mod DB is great because not only is it the Doom WAD place, it's also the mod place for all kinds of games.
GTA, Half-Life, Star Wars Battlefront 2, Postal, etc. so if you're looking for mods for any game, that's a great place.
And of course, the reason I mention it in the first place is because it's home of Brutal Doom.
The most well-known Doom mod of all time comes from Mod DB, which has to give it some merit.
Probably why it's my favourite site for Doom mods.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2020 at 4:15 AM, Doomkid said:

Thanks a lot man. Just one question, is there a way to share a link to a wad in stuff like wadhosting? Is it safe to do that? I'm new at this stuff cause I just joined this site.

• 4 months later...

I’m preparing my map for release and I wanted to create the text file to accompany the map in the zip file, but I was curious about the licensing and distribution aspect of wads. I was using the Doomworld text file generator and came to this question, “Allow adaptations of your work to be shared?” I haven’t publicly released anything I’ve made before, and normally I don’t think it would bother me, but the map is really personal and I would prefer people not make modifications and rerelease it.

How taboo is it to release a map and check the box “Please don’t modify?” Is there a stigma attached to works and authors who don’t share with the greater community? Also, how often do people ever make modifications of existing works and release them?

4 minutes ago, Veddge said:

How taboo is it to release a map and check the box “Please don’t modify?” Is there a stigma attached to works and authors who don’t share with the greater community? Also, how often do people ever make modifications of existing works and release them?

It's your map so you have the right to decide and no one else has anything to say about it.

Sure, I get that, I was more interested in knowing if there have been any negative feelings towards individuals who borrow from the greater community but choose not to give back.

11 hours ago, Veddge said:

I’m preparing my map for release and I wanted to create the text file to accompany the map in the zip file, but I was curious about the licensing and distribution aspect of wads. I was using the Doomworld text file generator and came to this question, “Allow adaptations of your work to be shared?” I haven’t publicly released anything I’ve made before, and normally I don’t think it would bother me, but the map is really personal and I would prefer people not make modifications and rerelease it.

I haven't counted, but I think most wads I've downloaded from /idgames say not to modify them.

It’s ultimately a non binding “please don’t do this” sort of agreement, but I can’t think of a single time where a mapper was shamed for saying “please do not modify” in the text file, and that request is pretty much always listened to by mappers. You’re good!