This is Woof! 14.5.0 (Apr 30, 2024)

fabian

3 hours ago, xelax said:

I had this error playing map 12 of plutonia 2 

R_DrawSpriteRange: bad texturecolumn

I'm using doom_wide mod for status bar and doom2 sprite fix mod, the game crashed during a fight, will check if it happens again

I've encountered that same error playing MAP05 of Pirate Doom 2. Usually happens pretty early in the map, while fighting the enemies in the initial outdoor area. At least for me it seems to be resolution-dependent, since all the crashes I've had have been on my laptop using native resolution on a 1366x768 display (IDRATE reports 1364x640), while I haven't had any crashes on my desktop running 3x resolution on a 1920x1200 display, nor in the few minutes I tried 3x resolution on my laptop.

I just had the same error again playing vanilla DOOM, map e1m3 IIRC, using the same mods and settings. Then I restarted from a save point and I could complete the map. Probably some incompatibility with the sprite fix mod, idk?

On 4/20/2024 at 2:17 AM, Shepardus said:

I've encountered that same error playing MAP05 of Pirate Doom 2. Usually happens pretty early in the map, while fighting the enemies in the initial outdoor area. At least for me it seems to be resolution-dependent, since all the crashes I've had have been on my laptop using native resolution on a 1366x768 display

Thanks for the report, I think we found the bug.

17 hours ago, xelax said:

Probably some incompatibility with the sprite fix mod, idk?

Are you set "native" resolution scale with 1366x768 display?

Posted (edited)

Hey fellas. Question: is there any way to tell Woof! to actually change my desktop resolution when I mess with the "resolution scale" values? 

Some context: been recently replaying some old stuff on a CRT, and I've noticed that unlike the Eternity Engine for example, Woof! does not reproduce the classic horizontal "scanline" effect (for lack of a better term) when playing at 640x480 and below. See here:

Spoiler

EE at 640x400:

EE.jpg.ab3be30265ff0c18fceb847e35b385b3.jpg

Woof! at 2x scaling (which I'm assuming is 640x400):

woof.jpg.6272963ed709b80b76e96245f0677072.jpg

p.s. 1: the artifacts in the second image are the CRT's grille itself, not a horizontal "scanline". 

p.s. 2: the difference in contrast is strictly from the photos - colors look the same in-person. 

I assume this is because Woof! is not changing the desktop resolution itself, which stays at its default value, while EE lets you choose separate render and window resolutions.

It would be cool to reproduce this behavior in Woof! if possible, since (a) these horizontal "scanlines" look more vanilla at the lower render resolutions that the source port seems to be going for by default and (b) CRTs typically support 120hz+ refresh rates at these lower resolutions, so rendering the game at 640x400 while keeping the resolution at the CRT's default (1280x960@70hz in my case) makes it feel less responsive than it could be.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Mike Stu

1 hour ago, Mike Stu said:

Hey fellas. Question: is there any way to tell Woof! to actually change my desktop resolution when I mess with the "resolution scale" values? 

There is currently no way to do this. While resetting the display resolution makes sense on CRTs, it looks bad on modern displays. Perhaps we can add a config-only option.

1 hour ago, rfomin said:

There is currently no way to do this. While resetting the display resolution makes sense on CRTs, it looks bad on modern displays. Perhaps we can add a config-only option.

Yup thought that could be the case - some modern displays may not even support these lower resolutions natively. A config-only option sounds great though, if it's not too much of a nuisance (it really is a minor thing). Thanks for the quick reply! 

15 hours ago, rfomin said:

Thanks for the report, I think we found the bug.

Are you set "native" resolution scale with 1366x768 display?

My screen resolution is 1280x800, IDRATE reports 1279x666, resolution scale is set to native and dynamic resolution is set to off.

Posted (edited)

Thank you for the mouse tweaks on the menu, sorry we keep asking for little things like we are never happy, this is not the case at all since this is already a HUGE improvement BUT is there a way to keep the right click to act as "back" in the menu?

edit:

I noticed it still does but not to exit the Options menu liked it used to, again, not a big deal at all, just wondering. Thank you.

Edited by CacoKnight

4 hours ago, CacoKnight said:

BUT is there a way to keep the right click to act as "back" in the menu?

Yes, it's a bug, I fixed it.

6 hours ago, xelax said:

My screen resolution is 1280x800, IDRATE reports 1279x666, resolution scale is set to native and dynamic resolution is set to off.

The fix is in the master branch. We will make a release soon.

Were SDL mixer and Equalizer considered for Woof?? 

I can't get over how superior The Eternity Engine is for me now with those features.. Sound beyond compare.

Posted (edited)

as a user, I can confirm that Woof supports OGG SFXs

(dsda-doom does not)

Edited by liPillON

It has to be said.

You all really work constantly and diligently on Woof. Nice to see that this source port is so alive and well supported.

Thanks for that 👍

On 4/17/2024 at 1:47 PM, Trov said:

You should check out the Marathon source port 'Aleph One', it has this kind of feature built in (Marathon ALWAYS has -shorttics - esque player angle restrictions internally, but Aleph One totally decouples the camera from it)

It doesn't seem too disorienting to me, I think most people might not even notice it if nobody told them about it.

Essentially with its implementation it feels totally normal except your shots slightly align to fixed angles. It's not a 'smooth transition' between the limited angles - the camera is simply separated from them entirely.

As I mentioned in the post you quoted, I experimented with it and have concerns, but maybe I'll look at it again in the future (I'll check out Aleph One too, thanks for the suggestion). It doesn't feel great to look in one direction, press forward, then have the movement drift slightly to the left or right depending on where the displayed angle lands in relation to the real angle. I hope that makes sense. In the meantime, if you want to casually record demos for Boom wads but prefer longtics, I believe you can make an OPTIONS lump with Boom settings and play using mbf21.

On 4/22/2024 at 5:58 AM, Pixel Fiend said:

Were SDL mixer and Equalizer considered for Woof?? 

I can't get over how superior The Eternity Engine is for me now with those features.. Sound beyond compare.

Can you explain what you mean exactly? Woof once used SDL mixer but due to issues moved to OpenAL Soft, which has been generally excellent by comparison. I noticed there's a 4-band equalizer built into OpenAL Soft already since it's part of the spec. The equalizer settings could be exposed in Woof, but it would probably be config-only. However, keep in mind that there are better external solutions like Equalizer APO (or Easy Effects for Linux).

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ceski said:

Can you explain what you mean exactly? Woof once used SDL mixer but due to issues

Right, thanks for your reply! The most prominent issues were the clicks between repeated sounds and the volume add-up of identical sounds played at the same time. With the switch to OpenAL Soft these issues were immediately resolved and it additionally allowed the implementation of real 3D positional sound, which adds a whole new layer of immersion to the game. 

moved to OpenAL Soft, which has been generally excellent by comparison. I noticed there's a 4-band equalizer built into OpenAL Soft already since it's part of the spec. The equalizer settings could be exposed in Woof, but it would probably be config-only. However, keep in mind that there are better external solutions like Equalizer APO (or Easy Effects for Linux).

I was about to suggest the same. If you feel you need to equalize your game sounds, that's probably a matter of your audio setup and better done at the hardware or operating system level. I don't necessarily see a source port in the position to equalize the game's sounds. 

Edited by fabian

9 minutes ago, fabian said:

I was about to suggest the same. If you feel you need to equalize your game sounds, that's probably a matter of your audio setup and better done at the hardware or operating system level. I don't necessarily see a source port in the position to equalize the game's sounds. 

Although, I have to admit, a little "bass boost" could fit the SSG sound quite well. ;) Anybody remember how that thing sounded in Doom95, where it was played with the wrong sample rate?

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, ceski said:

Can you explain what you mean exactly? Woof once used SDL mixer but due to issues moved to OpenAL Soft, which has been generally excellent by comparison. I noticed there's a 4-band equalizer built into OpenAL Soft already since it's part of the spec. The equalizer settings could be exposed in Woof, but it would probably be config-only. However, keep in mind that there are better external solutions like Equalizer APO (or Easy Effects for Linux).

The midis sound similar to Eternity when I switched from Fluidsynth to Microsoft GS in Woof settings, however I can feel the difference in Eternity. I'll try some external equalizers, maybe that will help. Thanks for the reply.

Thank you for this beautiful HUD setup, by the way.

woof0180.png.b1b6b61d0a205993e19d23fff3f77c0f.png

Edited by Pixel Fiend

I think Crispy does the job already? There isn't stuff like complevels in those games that would requiem an expanded port AFAIK

23 hours ago, El Juancho said:

Sorry if this has been asked before but are there any plans to support Heretic and Hexen in the future?

I don't think Woof will ever support Heretic or Hexen. You should try out International Doom for those games, they're extremely well made, based on Crispy but more feature-full.

Heretic and Hexen are both based on Doom 1.2, so support for that complevel would have to get implemented first. Of course, this was already done in PrBoom+, on which dsda-doom is based. However, this will be a non-trivial task, as the abandoned PRs for Chocolate Doom show. 

In addition to bug fixes, this release is for music enthusiasts. Woof now has native MIDI support on macOS and Linux, incorporating features previously exclusive to Windows. Give it a try with your favorite MIDI software or hardware. A few examples of what's possible:

macOS + Nuked SC-55:

mac.png.c8480e1972eeee29867f244cbf94671a.png

Windows + Roland SC-55:

windows.jpg.c71094d3b4aa765b8f4d739a1087ae8e.jpg

Linux + Yamaha S-YXG50 + Falcosoft Midi Player + Wine:

linux.png.eb2bf9d4b0e29855ca5c1368b65b2185.png

2 hours ago, ceski said:

Windows + Roland SC-55:

windows.jpg.c71094d3b4aa765b8f4d739a1087ae8e.jpg

On a side note, that's Valiant on the screenshot. The best wad out there in my totally unbiased, scientifically proven opinion. 😎 Just saying.

/offtopic

Thank you so much for no-fuss hardware MIDI support on Linux. I'm vaguely aware that SDL2 has problems with that, so I dunno what magic was pulled, but I found my device in the menu and off I went.

15 minutes ago, Spie812 said:

Thank you so much for no-fuss hardware MIDI support on Linux. I'm vaguely aware that SDL2 has problems with that, so I dunno what magic was pulled, but I found my device in the menu and off I went.

Yeah system midi support for Linux is really awesome. Is this through OpenAL?

32 minutes ago, Spie812 said:

I'm vaguely aware that SDL2 has problems with that, so I dunno what magic was pulled, but I found my device in the menu and off I went.

This is done using ALSA. The SDL2_Mixer does not have native MIDI support in Linux, and we don't use SDL2_Mixer anyway. So we wrote our own MIDI support.

Thanks again for another great release!

Is there any way to adjust the word wrapping Woof does with the text on the story screens? Sometimes the split lines take up too much vertical space and they drop off the bottom of the screen. Example from Die Rowdy:

Spoiler

Woof:

woof.png.ea80e67ba232aef78755361405dada83.png

dsda-doom:

dsda-doom.png.976ce6db2cd8fca68a3706020bae1a72.png

In this case the text has been formatted for widescreen, which would not be a problem for me since I play in widescreen anyway, but Woof wraps the text like it's 4:3 and cuts off the last paragraph and a half.