This is Woof! 14.5.0 (Apr 30, 2024)

fabian

Are dogs meant to spawn on any map with co-op starts?  I can't get them to spawn with Headless Chicken.

3 hours ago, invictius said:

Are dogs meant to spawn on any map with co-op starts? 

Yes, that's why the maximum limit is 3 dogs.

14 hours ago, Zaratul said:

Yep, looks like the -bsp command helped!

Those are textbook slimetrails, they can happen sometimes when there's a lot of fine linedef detail tightly together (like the little pits you see on the ground), and usually where those lines aren't mostly 90 degrees or 45 degrees.

You can spot a slimetrail on the zigzag bridge in the original E1M1.

3 minutes ago, s4f3s3x said:

What does the -bsp command do? 

Forces a rebuild of nodes. Woof now integrates @andrewj's NanoBSP as an internal nodebuilder, for maps made without building nodes, or optionally for forcing rebuilds for maps with broken/poorly built nodes.

14 hours ago, rfomin said:

Yes, that's why the maximum limit is 3 dogs.

I have no idea why they won't spawn on this one mapset, then.  It's Boom complevel 9.  How do the dogs differ to bots?  They seem to be able to navigate a map better than gzdoom bots.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, invictius said:

I have no idea why they won't spawn on this one mapset, then.  It's Boom complevel 9.  How do the dogs differ to bots?  They seem to be able to navigate a map better than gzdoom bots.

For dogs you need complevel 11 (MBF) or 21 (MBF21). Headless Chicken has a COMPLVL lump forcing Boom compatibility.

It seems like with Woof the lump takes precedence over a command line parameter. Maybe that is a bug? The COMPLVL article on DoomWiki says "The order of precedence is highest to lowest: parameter > lump > config."

If you edit the wad with SLADE and change the COMPLVL lump to say mbf21 (or just delete it) the wad should still probably work fine, and dogs will then work. Just don't use that edited wad for multiplayer with other real humans. Also the dog sprites will look weird because the wad uses an alternate palette, just pretend they've been rolling in sidewalk chalk.

Edited by plums

Posted (edited)

I just wanted to say HUGE thank you to whoever made the new gray invulnerability color/mode, it's a blessing for the eyes.

Edited by CacoKnight

10 hours ago, plums said:

For dogs you need complevel 11 (MBF) or 21 (MBF21). Headless Chicken has a COMPLVL lump forcing Boom compatibility.

It seems like with Woof the lump takes precedence over a command line parameter. Maybe that is a bug? The COMPLVL article on DoomWiki says "The order of precedence is highest to lowest: parameter > lump > config."

If you edit the wad with SLADE and change the COMPLVL lump to say mbf21 (or just delete it) the wad should still probably work fine, and dogs will then work. Just don't use that edited wad for multiplayer with other real humans. Also the dog sprites will look weird because the wad uses an alternate palette, just pretend they've been rolling in sidewalk chalk.

Thanks, I was expecting a much more complex fix.  The dogs just look like they have pink highlights lol

13 hours ago, invictius said:

Thanks, I was expecting a much more complex fix.  The dogs just look like they have pink highlights lol

Welcome. The bug got fixed, if you encounter another wad where you can't use dogs just use -complevel 21 when launching it.

Great patch, i love the new screen wipe effects and my mouse is buttery smooth now.

Reporting an issue seen in the Chex Quest 3: Vanilla Edition thread. It seems that when loading the WAD as an IWAD, rather than an Ultimate Doom PWAD, the UMAPINFO is ignored. In 14.2.0 this is mostly not visible, except that the fourth episode is selectable as a blank menu entry (the UMAPINFO only has three episodes), but in 14.3.0 it displays the Ultimate Doom episode names in DBIGFONT instead.

Posted (edited)
On 3/14/2024 at 3:51 PM, CacoKnight said:

I just wanted to say HUGE thank you to whoever made the new gray invulnerability color/mode, it's a blessing for the eyes.

In addition to this, is there a way to extract that gray color for the invulnerability and use it on other ports in/from the autoload folder?

Edited by CacoKnight

3 hours ago, Shepardus said:

It seems that when loading the WAD as an IWAD, rather than an Ultimate Doom PWAD, the UMAPINFO is ignored.

Right. Thanks for the report, it will be fixed in the next version.

19 minutes ago, CacoKnight said:

In addition to this, is there a way to extract that gray color for the invulnerability and use it on other ports in/from the autoload folder?

@Julia Nechaevskaya did it in grahical editor: gray_invul.zip

Posted (edited)

Awesome, thank you!

From NUTS.WAD

GrayInvulNUTS.png

From Woof!

GrayInvulWoof!.png

I like the Woof! one more but I'll keep both.

Edited by CacoKnight

33 minutes ago, CacoKnight said:

The effect is achieved by generating the gray Invulnerability colormap at game startup from the existing palette (in other words, I believe it would work for modified palettes), then overwriting the corresponding colormap in the colormap lump -- "colormap lump" being a sort of table containing all 34 colormaps.

This sounds like something that a WAD couldn't do; you can only replace the whole colormap lump (which is what the WAD shared by rfomin does), and that may not work with some palettes.

This is truly a blessing, so many times I didn't pick up the "green ball" because I thought it was going to blind me.

Posted (edited)

Yeah.. they look way different, first pic is DSDA and second is Woof.

Is there any way to "fix" this or should I just give up until DSDA adds one too?

DSDA.png

Woof.png

doom05.png

woof0005.png

Edited by CacoKnight

Posted (edited)

The difference between those two may be due to "Carmack's typo," which is present in the Woof implementation of this feature and would result in blues being slightly darker than they should be for "true" grayscale. Should be possible to adjust the invuln colormap you were given to match.

Edit: Wait, I think I got that backwards, did I?

Edited by Shepardus

Oh geez, that's a funny one from John, also funny because the one I like more between the two is the Woof one :)

Posted (edited)

Scratch the above, the difference is not due to Carmack's typo. The palette here is not inverted so the typo would actually make blues brighter, not darker. Rather, I think it's just that a different formula was used for converting colors to grayscale in gray_invul.wad. I played around with desaturating the blue range in Krita using several different methods that Krita offers; the colors in gray_invul.wad look like they were created using the "lightness" desaturation method, while the inverse of the stock invuln palette (which is what Woof's code would generate) is closer to one of the "luminosity" methods (specifically BT.601, the implementation of that is just Woof's code minus Carmack's typo). Here's an article explaining the difference, worth a read for the curious (got the link from the Krita code that I just linked): https://tannerhelland.com/2011/10/01/grayscale-image-algorithm-vb6.html

Here's a COLORMAP I made by just inverting the colors of the stock COLORMAP for the invuln section and reimporting it back into SLADE: noninverted_invuln.zip

Edited by Shepardus

@Shepardus's version is very close - you can compare by loading it into woof, changing Display->Menu Backdrop to Off, then toggling the Invulnerability Effect settings.

For a totally accurate recreation, I converted the Doom palette to a texture and took a screenshot of it with the grey invuln effect on, then cropped/resized/rearranged it on the appropriate COLORMAP row. (Make sure to disable smooth pixel scaling if you try something like this!)

greyinvuln.wad

I used the palette this way (instead of a straight line like in the COLORMAP) because it's easier to avoid distortion/artifacts when you're dealing with the colours in a grid instead of a straight line. (Also I had this wad made already for a different thing.)

ibLOlFG.png

1 hour ago, plums said:

, I converted the Doom palette to a texture and took a screenshot of it with the grey invuln effect on

That is very creative and accurate way to do this 👍

8 hours ago, CacoKnight said:

Oh geez, that's a funny one from John, also funny because the one I like more between the two is the Woof one :)

Me too. I like the Woof one better. It has it's charme that it is not a 100% accurate gray-scale conversion.

The Woof ones have more contrast in your comparision pictures even it is a bit not so bright as the DSDA screenshots.

I like it the way the Woof devs made it.

I don't like the completely bright white screen when getting the invulnerability sphere in vanilla/mbf mode.

What are the conditions for the "Emulate Intercepts Overflow" option to be selectable in the in-game menu? While I already know how to change it in the config (hence why it's off in the screenshot) it would still be nice to know what's going on here

Spoiler

pVD8mgc.png

The screenshot above was taken on compatibility level 3 in the Ultimate Doom, but also playing on complevel 9, 21, or with no parameter set in command-line at all: it still isn't selectable in those instances

8 minutes ago, No-Man Baugh said:

What are the conditions for the "Emulate Intercepts Overflow" option to be selectable in the in-game menu? While I already know how to change it in the config (hence why it's off in the screenshot) it would still be nice to know what's going on here

Looking at the code, the only condition for it to be selectable is for the complevel to be vanilla; indeed, merely changing Default Compatibility Level to Vanilla in the Compatibility menu is enough to make it selectable on my end.

Are you sure that you're not loading any PWADs that could be forcing a certain complevel, or forcing the intercepts setting to a certain value? In autoload, maybe?