screen capture of 1992-1993

8 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

The first NeXTs were monochrome, yes. Color was later (i.e; by Doom's time). Remember the first NeXT hardware was released in, what, 1988?

Oh, I figured out the monitor. I'm 98% sure it's a NEC MultiSync 6FG.

You make my day!! 

I've ever found nothing so far and you are my saver. Is it a pc? The cube was almost the same size as this monitor which was 21''. If you look at those pics and make a connection between those. So it's impossible that it is a cube from a nextcube. But you're theory needed attention. Thats a 17'' screen.

100.jpg

Edited by bipolarmaximus

Just now, bipolarmaximus said:

You make my day!! 

I've ever found nothing so far and you are my saver. Is it a pc? The cube was almost the same size as this monitor which was 21''. If you look at those pics and make a connection between those. So it's impossible that it is a cube from a nextcube. But you're theory needed attention.

The small pic with the debugger, source code, and Doom running is detailed on the Doom Wiki with source information:

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/File:Doom-development-1994.jpg

Screenshot of John Carmack's NeXT workstation desktop during the development of Doom. The NEXTSTEP build of Doom can be seen running in a 320x200 window above an Objective-C compiler. To the right, the user interface of popular NeXT gdb frontend SuperDebugger can be seen. The code window is examining the function A_TroopAttack in the p_enemy.c source code file. Notably, save and load game features are not yet implemented as evident from the game's menu, and the function in the pictured code does not yet contain a call to S_StartSound for the imp's melee attack, indicating that this was some time near the time period of the press release beta. The icon of Fuzzy Pumper Palette Shop appears on the NeXT toolbar to the far right as a picture of Cookie Monster from the Sesame Street television show. Originally published in Game Developer Magazine Issue 1, January 1994. Low resolution image of irreplaceable historical situation, fair use for related articles.

3 minutes ago, bipolarmaximus said:

You make my day!! 

I've ever found nothing so far and you are my saver. Is it a pc? The cube was almost the same size as this monitor which was 21''. If you look at those pics and make a connection between those. So it's impossible that it is a cube from a nextcube. But you're theory needed attention.

100.jpg

As I said, I'm pretty sure it's a NeXTcube.

You're confused about the size of that monitor though - the NeXT monitors were only 17", not 21". Later on some rebranded 21" monitors were released, but that specific one was 17".

Edited by Dark Pulse

Thx! Why the pic is so low in resolution?

That's the resolution at which it was printed in the magazine.

5 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

As I said, I'm pretty sure it's a NeXTcube.

You're confused about the size of that monitor though - the NeXT monitors were only 17", not 21". Later on some rebranded 21" monitors were released, but that specific one was 17".

I'm not used to inches. :-)

Edited by bipolarmaximus

6 minutes ago, bipolarmaximus said:

I'm not used to inches. :-)

Understandable :P

Keep in mind other factors that are at work in making the NeXTcube seem smaller than it really is:

1) The monitor is on a stand while the Cube would be straight on the desk

2) The monitor is much closer to John; the Cube would be closer to the edge/wall

3) John's body is blocking a comparatively large amount of the Cube

I'm guesstimating its height based off the objects next to it - notably, what looks to be a Far Side calendar (very popular back in the early 90s!) and especially the pictures - the large picture looks like it could be a 8.5x11", fairly standard picture size and about the size of a sheet of paper. In millimeters, that'd be 215.9 by 279.4mm.

Based on that, the black thing looks a bit taller, though the picture is leaning against the wall slightly (or perhaps its own stand). Hence, my estimation is that it'd be about a foot tall - perfect height for a NeXTcube.

Edited by Dark Pulse

3 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Understandable :P

Keep in mind other factors that are at work in making the NeXTcube seem smaller than it really is:

1) The monitor is on a stand while the Cube would be straight on the desk

2) The monitor is much closer to John; the Cube would be closer to the edge/wall

3) John's body is blocking a comparatively large amount of the Cube

I'm guesstimating its height based off the objects next to it - notably, what looks to be a Far Side calendar (very popular back in the early 90s!) and especially the pictures - the large picture looks like it could be a 8.5x11", fairly standard picture size and about the size of a sheet of paper. In millimeters, that'd be 215.9 by 279.4mm.

Based on that, the black thing looks a bit taller, though the picture is leaning against the wall slightly (or perhaps its own stand). Hence, my estimation is that it'd be about a foot tall - perfect height for a NeXTcube.

Agreed, but it's kind of strange just by comparing the size from is head or body. Seems like it's small!

6 minutes ago, bipolarmaximus said:

Agreed, but it's kind of strange just by comparing the size from is head or body. Seems like it's small!

Unfortunately, short of Romero waltzing in here himself and saying "Yup, that was my NeXTcube," guessing is about the best we can do.

At this point though, I'd be rather surprised if it turned out to be something else, and it makes no sense for him to have had it under the desk if he had a regular PC on top of the desk as well.

4 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Unfortunately, short of Romero waltzing in here himself and saying "Yup, that was my NeXTcube," guessing is about the best we can do.

At this point though, I'd be rather surprised if it turned out to be something else, and it makes no sense for him to have had it under the desk if he had a regular PC on top of the desk as well.

You could be Sherlock Holmes. :-)

You could be Sherlock Holmes. :-)

Well, it all adds up. :P

1. It's close to the height of a rather large picture.
  2. It's black.
  3. It's definitely some kind of sticker with the id logo on it.
  4. It's on the opposite side of a monitor, and a DOS-based PC is clearly visible on the other side.

All signs point towards that being the NeXTcube.

Just now, Dark Pulse said:

Well, it all adds up. :P

1. It's close to the height of a rather large picture.
  2. It's black.
  3. It's definitely some kind of sticker with the id logo on it.
  4. It's on the opposite side of a monitor, and a DOS-based PC is clearly visible on the other side.

All signs point towards that being the NeXTcube.

Like I said you are intelligent. I have no knowledge of computers and OS. When my video will be done, I will post it there. It's starting with a visual history of Doom. and it ends with doom eternal with the at dooms gate music. The action is synchronized with the music. It's a creative video montage.

All those "Inspector" floating panels look so much like stuff you'd see in the official Doom 3 editor :)

8 minutes ago, printz said:

All those "Inspector" floating panels look so much like stuff you'd see in the official Doom 3 editor :)

funny.

They kept the same interface for years. :-)

10 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Prob either a workstation or a Nextstation, i dunno.

Definitely not a NeXTstation. My guess is, it's just an ordinary intel PC used to play the game on MS-DOS.

NeXTstation.jpg

45 minutes ago, cybdmn said:

Definitely not a NeXTstation.

I never saw the pic OP was referring to so i just took that he was wondering what the development machines were.

45 minutes ago, cybdmn said:

My guess is, it's just an ordinary intel PC used to play the game on MS-DOS.

NeXTstation.jpg

It could very well be an IBM PS/2 or some sorts.

5 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

I never saw the pic OP was referring to so i just took that he was wondering what the development machines were.

It could very well be an IBM PS/2 or some sorts.

We know for sure, that Romero worked on a NeXTstation at some point, for one DW user bought that from Romero, but that may be from later, when id worked on Quake maybe. The NeXTstation came later, as an cheaper alternative to the cubes.

The other computer does look more like an 386 era PC from Packard-Bell, Compaq or something like this, design-wise.

2 hours ago, cybdmn said:

We know for sure, that Romero worked on a NeXTstation at some point, for one DW user bought that from Romero, but that may be from later, when id worked on Quake maybe. The NeXTstation came later, as an cheaper alternative to the cubes.

The other computer does look more like an 386 era PC from Packard-Bell, Compaq or something like this, design-wise.

I guess ill just use this topic, but i found a 2005 post with a recollection of Romero's then GF about the editor as she made a level for Doom. I figured @bipolarmaximus would want to include that historic cite :)

''I just wish this editor would be more easy to use.. John told me that the editor he created for doom was on NextStep computers ( aprox. 12 years ago) and it was way easier to use than Doombuilder except that it didnt have some of the cool stuff this one has (like the 3D mode and some of other functions).''

• 11 months later...
On 5/23/2020 at 6:26 PM, bipolarmaximus said:

By the way, what was the computer in that pic? I can't read the name of it due to bad resolution.

Late reply / necrobump but it appears to be a Dell 486D/?? workstation. Here's a photo from an eBay auction for a similar machine:

uLaEYEK.jpg

Notice center part of the front of the case looks the same, "overhang" on left hand side, same placement of name badge, and blanking plates both have five vertical "slats".

Some of their older machines also used an almost identical case. Here's the 386-based 333D:

GM7JTbE.jpg

And a 486D/50 some guy on Reddit was showing off:

2rb6b6gujn4z.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&au

Amusingly one of these machines was even still in use in 2008 to run the Hubble Space Telescope.

Now on to the next challenge: what calculator is this that Romero has on his desk? 

SySGXVK.png

8 hours ago, fraggle said:

Now on to the next challenge: what calculator is this that Romero has on his desk? 

SySGXVK.png

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks awfully like it could be a Casio FX-115D.

99F9DAB1-20D6-4462-BA3B-FB31B970A75F.jpg

*Drags on cigarette*

So, was it good for you too?

Edited by Dark Pulse

On 4/30/2021 at 1:33 AM, Dark Pulse said:

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks awfully like it could be a Casio FX-115D.

99F9DAB1-20D6-4462-BA3B-FB31B970A75F.jpg

*Drags on cigarette*

So, was it good for you too?

Where did you get that information? Did you talk to him?

4 hours ago, bipolarmaximus said:

Where did you get that information? Did you talk to him?

I'm not going to bother Romero for something as silly as that. Just some good old-fashioned educated sleuthing and a bit of Google-fu.

I'm still not even sure I'm correct - but if I'm not, it's almost certainly a very similar model. Everything else lines up detail-wise though, so I'd be quite surprised if I weren't (and at the same time, not-so-surprised).

Edited by Dark Pulse

4 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

I'm not going to bother Romero for something as silly as that. Just some good old-fashioned educated sleuthing and a bit of Google-fu.

I'm still not even sure I'm correct - but if I'm not, it's almost certainly a very similar model. Everything else lines up detail-wise though, so I'd be quite surprised if I weren't (and at the same time, not-so-surprised).

Well I asked so many thing in every détails for my future video. 

On 5/23/2020 at 12:07 PM, Dark Pulse said:

Last one is also awfully clean, so that was likely grabbed from a Virtual Machine.

The other three before it are definitely legit, though, and from articles about Doom's development that were written at the time or not long after.

nope. its the real thing he said to me.