NaNoWADMo 2020 - The month-long mapping challenge!

My total tally for this past month's work is 15 "complete" maps, plus some scraps for future work.  "Complete", again, meaning that there is a complete path laid out through the level, including the size and shape of all major areas.  

That's roughly a map every couple of days.  Not bad, if you ask me, and I know you did.

An actual release of a project with these maps is probably still a month or two away at a minimum, but I'm now confident it can happen someday, assuming we're all still alive.

Aaand that's a wrap in the last time zone I'm aware of! I'm blown away by what I'm seeing so far and promise to check all of it out once I've got my own project out the door. Thanks again to everyone who participated or just spectated, and especially to the folks who took this as their opportunity to dip their feet into mapping for the first time. You're all the best.

I'm a little late in getting this all put together into a single WAD, but here are the two levels that I was able to finish, of my planned eight, for Mictlan Calling:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ywngkwf24rid6z/nw20_a1.wad?dl=0

The maps are in Boom format, compatibility level 9, and this project requires the 32in24-15 texture pack as compiled by @esselfortium; my intention at this point is to incorporate the textures from the resource pack once I know which of them I'm actually using, i.e. once all eight maps are complete.

Let me know if there are any problems; I feel like I will definitely want to revisit this to tidy up some texture work and flag linedefs as secret or hidden appropriately to make outdoor areas a bit less of a kerfuffle of random lines, but for now it's in what I would consider to be a mostly playable state.  Difficulty settings are implemented, most of my testing was done on Hurt Me Plenty.

I ended with 27 playable maps, 6 of them fully detailed, 1 map that needs more playtesting, and other 4 just started. I'll be posting on a new thread later today.

Edited by Gothic

I managed to get 25 maps done for this, figured I'd post the thread here too.

All of these are speedmaps made in around 2-8 hours, with various themes.

The maps are in boom format, -cl9. Didn't have time to make difficulty settings, though I'm going to add them in a later update most likely.

Thanks for running this @Ryath , I really enjoyed myself.

Many thanks to @Ryath for providing the organisation and impetus for this for the third year running; it's a great opportunity for me to feel out my limits, better understand what I can and can't do, and just create freelyfor a while.

I was pretty busy this October (exam week comes to mind), but I did make a wad with a couple of maps. I will expand them in the future, and only the first map is 100% playable. I hope I will finish the first episode.

IWAD: DOOM.WAD

EPISODE: 1

NUMBER OF MAPS: 2

premonition.rar

Feels bad for not actually releasing anything, but like I said on the discord, I *did* manage to input more sectors than this entire summer so this is still a victory! See you next year, probably!

Apologies for late posting. I didn't make any more maps other than the one that I posted earlier in October. I got busy about halfway through the month and didn't really do much after that. I'm going to continue working on my miniwad and hope to have it out before Christmas.

Here is a very rough layout of my next map:

Spoiler

Capture.PNG.afd8a7c3f84fac2ab764f89c4fed75d9.PNG

An here is the map I scrapped. I pretty much gave up on it after a day or two, I'm pretty sure it was the layout that I didn't like. The map doesn't  even have an exit but I wanted to post it anyway because I'm going to recycle the aesthetic and music for a later level. Community Chest 4 textures are needed.

Toxic Processing(Scrapped).zip

Unfortunatly I couldn't get anything done in October. Maybe next year I'll be more motivated/skilled towards mapping

On 10/31/2020 at 4:46 AM, Omniarch said:

The wad is called Thy Flesh Removed, originally intended to be full E4 replacement for Ultimate Doom.

Anyway, here's the download: thy_flesh_removed.zip

I liked this even though it's so far beyond my skill level - particularly the blood swamp level is really creative, having the player gather resources to be allowed to exit instead of relying on keys!

On 11/1/2020 at 4:57 PM, DukeOfDoom said:

I was pretty busy this October (exam week comes to mind), but I did make a wad with a couple of maps. I will expand them in the future, and only the first map is 100% playable. I hope I will finish the first episode.

premonition.rar

I really liked this! It's a great start to a techbase episode with good use of height variation and some interesting layouts.

On 10/30/2020 at 11:04 PM, WashingMachineEnthusiasts said:

Well, we're a fair way off having a megawad, but we've decided to keep going until at least the end of the year to try and get one. In the meantime, we'll release a demo in the next few days of what we have. Here's some screenshots.

Reveal hidden contents

tt_smite.jpg.4dac1e1d99b1496c846f3ea3ab1d0e44.jpgtt_retox.jpg.58324d9c885f40b3f337ba3c73b71e1f.jpgtt_realm.jpg.fc72e52b7929c120d72726f472de2c1a.jpgtt_poison.jpg.07cab5b0c29031d9183fe8c0b9e843f1.jpgtt_love.jpg.8f7db750a269b80b6161387c06bf2dde.jpgtt_karmack.jpg.ba86cda785ec01e770362259426fec67.jpgtt_jungle.jpg.7bb1617922b149d27996c974de34c7b7.jpgtt_feast.jpg.f0f2e5f9098ea4a1c6785f352fc1dee9.jpg

Due to various circumstances, this will be posted on the coming weekend instead of now as promised. Sorry for the delay.

It's just the one map, but I achieved my goal of mapping every day and managed to get a finished product I'm happy with. Thanks for the WadMo @Ryath

4 hours ago, DavidN said:

I liked this even though it's so far beyond my skill level - particularly the blood swamp level is really creative, having the player gather resources to be allowed to exit instead of relying on keys!

Thanks for giving it a go! Watching someone else play through these maps is very helpful, especially with commentary. Blood Marshes is the map I'm most proud of out of the set, though E4M3 'The Box' would have been interesting if only I could have figured out how to do more than just the hub. FYI, you can get the BFG on E4M6 by pressing all five of the demon-face switches hidden throughout the map. Each one raises those poles in the BFG room by 8 map units.

Congratulations to everybody who has something to share so far! I'm hoping to finish my project by the end of the year, but have four or five maps to make beforehand for various other things. It's a fun process, even if I'm yet to really achieve anything within it, and I'm glad to see it thriving!

On 10/30/2020 at 11:04 PM, WashingMachineEnthusiasts said:

Well, we're a fair way off having a megawad, but we've decided to keep going until at least the end of the year to try and get one. In the meantime, we'll release a demo in the next few days of what we have. Here's some screenshots.

Reveal hidden contents

tt_smite.jpg.4dac1e1d99b1496c846f3ea3ab1d0e44.jpgtt_retox.jpg.58324d9c885f40b3f337ba3c73b71e1f.jpgtt_realm.jpg.fc72e52b7929c120d72726f472de2c1a.jpgtt_poison.jpg.07cab5b0c29031d9183fe8c0b9e843f1.jpgtt_love.jpg.8f7db750a269b80b6161387c06bf2dde.jpgtt_karmack.jpg.ba86cda785ec01e770362259426fec67.jpgtt_jungle.jpg.7bb1617922b149d27996c974de34c7b7.jpgtt_feast.jpg.f0f2e5f9098ea4a1c6785f352fc1dee9.jpg

Here's the demo: