uh.... is this a false positive?

Boomslang

11 minutes ago, Boomslang said:

I downloaded this from the chocolate doom wiki, been playing it for a few weeks and this shows up. is this a false positive?

unknown.png

Crispy Doom has been noted to return virus alerts, but that's a false positive. You could upload it to virustotal to be certain.

Tagging @fabian here because i recall that this very annoying issue got fixed, but it seemingly returned?

Just now, Redneckerz said:

Crispy Doom has been noted to return virus alerts, but that's a false positive. You could upload it to virustotal to be certain.

Tagging @fabian here because i recall that this very annoying issue got fixed, but it seemingly returned?

Oh

when updating crispy doom, does it remove saves like it does with GZ?

REDIT:

it doesn't

Edited by Boomslang

I've hearing a lot of people getting (false) virus alerts from Chocolate Doom forks. I'm not gonna update any of them until I hear that this problem has been fixed for good.

59 minutes ago, Boomslang said:

this is where i got it from btw http://latest.chocolate-doom.org/

That server doesn't run Windows and there's virtually no chance(*) that it would be compromised to give you viruses. Anything you get is a false positive.

(*) Yeah ok, the chance isn't exactly 0, but fairly close.

Yep, happens to me all the time when I run Crispy. It's ANNOYING. But I've been using it for weeks now and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. false positive absolutely.

Windows Defender kept quietly removing the .exe of Crispy 5.9.2 for being a virus, so when I finally got wise to what was happening, I just let it through the firewall and my computer is still alive to tell the tale.

3 hours ago, Lippeth said:

Windows Defender kept quietly removing the .exe of Crispy 5.9.2 for being a virus, so when I finally got wise to what was happening, I just let it through the firewall and my computer is still alive to tell the tale.

I had this happen but with the Crispy setup file...not the executable itself, but the setup file...windows defender is drunk.

It's a false positive, i thought this was solved. Add an exception to defender, seems RUDE is not affected as i use an older compiler.

21 hours ago, Boomslang said:

I downloaded this from the chocolate doom wiki, been playing it for a few weeks and this shows up. is this a false positive?

unknown.png

Yes. The same thing happen to me when I first ran it. Scanned it for viruses and returned negative.

Yes, it's a false positive. If your antivirus does this please stop using it.

21 hours ago, Gothic said:

I've hearing a lot of people getting (false) virus alerts from Chocolate Doom forks. I'm not gonna update any of them until I hear that this problem has been fixed for good.

There is nothing to fix - the problem is in the antivirus that falsely detects a virus. As I've been telling people repeatedly, stop using garbage software like this.

There's no practical way that this can be "fixed for good" because even if I was to waste a bunch of time trying to figure out why these .exe files are being mistakenly identified as infected and hack together a workaround, it's entirely possible that next week the .exes will start false matching another virus signature and the whole stupid thing will start all over again.

If your position is you're not going to update because your broken antivirus tells you to be afraid of these files then that's your choice. My position from the start has always been that I'm not going to waste any of my time trying to work around other people's broken software they insist on using.

1 hour ago, fraggle said:

As I've been telling people repeatedly, stop using garbage software like this.

Unfortunately, the garbage software comes with and is enabled by default in Windows 10.

Antivirus software has always been a mixed bag on whether it's actually useful, though this particular one is pretty easy to accept given its inclusion in the OS.

I wonder if all these virus threats are a ploy to make you buy certificates to sign your executables. A signed executable is a verified executable.

Could be. It's near impossible to viably build MacOS software without paying Apple (users are just blocked from running it), and Windows is heading down the same path too.

Unlike some people here on this thread I never get virus alerts when playing with Crispy Doom but I downloaded the file that @Boomslang was trying to download and put it on VirusTotal...Cattura2.PNG.cce7ecf367ea622f7826e13cd6004a37.PNG

Edited by TenenteZashu

50 minutes ago, printz said:

I wonder if all these virus threats are a ploy to make you buy certificates to sign your executables. A signed executable is a verified executable.

33 minutes ago, chungy said:

Could be. It's near impossible to viably build MacOS software without paying Apple (users are just blocked from running it), and Windows is heading down the same path too.

It extremely isn't, otherwise it would be affecting the people who could actually afford to get executables certified first and foremost. Not niche hobby programs. 

On 9/27/2020 at 3:35 PM, chungy said:

That server doesn't run Windows

I myself gravely dislike Windows - I don't think I'll ever go back to it, I'm very happy with Linux and it's a lot more convenient overall - but just because it isn't Windows doesn't mean it's malware free. Heck, major distributions (and their repositories) are targeted by malware all the time!

3 minutes ago, Gustavo6046 said:

I myself gravely dislike Windows - I don't think I'll ever go back to it, I'm very happy with Linux and it's a lot more convenient overall - but just because it isn't Windows doesn't mean it's malware free. Heck, major distributions (and their repositories) are targeted by malware all the time!

Indeed, with tech you should never assume you are safe from anything.

6 hours ago, fraggle said:

If your antivirus does this please stop using it.

People using antiviruses in 2020?

I was gonna say that dumb people can't shield themselves from the urge of 'winning a new iPhone' in that flashy little rectangular banner, but to be fair dumb people always have, and always will, exist.

11 minutes ago, Eric Claus said:

Indeed, with tech you should never assume you are safe from anything.

More precisely, with computers, as they're essentially black boxes and you never know exactly which instructions go through them.

To be fair, though, security in Windows is a joke. It's also a moot point anyway, since today, you waiver all privacy in the Terms of "Privacy"; the checkbox means "upload everything about me and do whatever with it, jerk off to it if you want". Yet, you checked the box, therefore it's all your fault, you bastard.

1 hour ago, Gustavo6046 said:

but just because it isn't Windows doesn't mean it's malware free

The post you are replying to acknowledges this.

1 hour ago, Gustavo6046 said:

major distributions (and their repositories) are targeted by malware all the time! 

Now this raises a big ol' [citation needed]. Attacks have happened, but they are sufficiently rare that they can be counted on a single hand for basically the entire history of Linux distributions.

Edited by chungy

On 9/29/2020 at 4:15 AM, Gustavo6046 said:

Heck, major distributions (and their repositories) are targeted by malware all the time!

Attacks on desktop Unix systems (except maybe macOS, but I would argue the same for it) have been relatively rare as compared to Windows.

I must admit I'm always curious why the autobuilds server triggers false positives. My own compilation on Arch Linux never seems to trigger it.

VirusTotal.png.b82e0a46eb5e1f4e71f5778ca4ad5d13.png

On 9/28/2020 at 8:59 PM, chungy said:

Now this raises a big ol' [citation needed]. Attacks have happened, but they are sufficiently rare that they can be counted on a single hand for basically the entire history of Linux distributions.

Fair enough. Yes, they are rare, but they do happen¹, and there usually are victims.

¹ https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/05/ubuntu-snap-malware

² https://www.zdnet.com/article/new-hiddenwasp-malware-found-targeting-linux-systems/

³ https://www.zdnet.com/article/eset-discovers-21-new-linux-malware-families/

Still, keep in mind that, if this were Windows, those wouldn't be three citations, but 300. It's easy to judge Linux for the multiple times it has been targeted by malware attacks, and forget the hundreds of attacks that have plagued Windows systems (especially those with the slightest bit of Internet connectivity). In fact, I think Linux and its community do an overall good job at maintaining security and keeping attackers at bay.

Even the fact that I was so easily able to find some citations with mere search queries, that is to be expected: anything can be found if you search enough.

Edited by Gustavo6046

There’s hundreds if not thousands if not millions more windows users than Linux desktop so there’s bound to be more cases even if Windows was more secure.