Selaco; an original "boomer shooter" that runs on GZDoom

18 minutes ago, holaareola said:

My point was that room over room in a linedef based setup is 3d architecture via fundamentally 2d tooling, which impacts what kind of architecture is possible without it being a total arse-ache. I wish GZDoom had some kind of true 3d map format to make it an even better base for retro-styled games on PC.

Conversely though, if you think back to the level layout in something like the original FEAR, how much super complex multi-layered architecture was there? If they're aiming for something realistic, GZDoom, especially when combined with the modern UDB tools that let you place 3D floors almost like Brushes in Quake, is perfectly capable of easily creating 99% of geometry you're likely to find in such a setting. 

2 hours ago, nexxtic28 said:

no shaders, no full-3D objects etc

I see Brightmaps, which run on a shader I believe (just one shipped within GZDoom) and your aforementioned .obj models too (which are very much full 3D models), so this statement isn't exactly accurate.  Most people won't care, but as a mapping forum, we're going to be a stickler for accuracy. :-)

Edited by Bauul

6 minutes ago, Bauul said:

Conversely though, if you think back to the level layout in something like the original FEAR, how much super complex multi-layered architecture was there? If they're aiming for something realistic, GZDoom, especially when combined with the modern UDB tools that let you place 3D floors almost like Brushes in Quake, is perfectly capable of easily creating 99% of geometry you're likely to find in such a setting. 

I see Brightmaps, which run on a shader I believe (just one shipped within GZDoom) and your aforementioned .obj models too (which are very much full 3D objects), so this statement isn't exactly accurate.  Most people won't care, but as a mapping forum, we're going to be a stickler for accuracy. :-)

Technically true, but just like Shadow Warrior, Blood or Ion Fury; They are just small voxels that aren't usually bigger than 96x96x96. Except we converted and cleaned them up as .obj's rather than raw .kvx for performance reasons. I can use .kvx to be 'truly authentic', but fucking up the performance of the players just so you can proudly say ''Hey, at least we are authentic!'' is just mean 😋

Touché about the brightmaps! You got me there.

Edited by nexxtic28

I am okay with brightmaps. They usually add more "character" to lights/glowing objects without harming the old school looks.

Ion Fury, for example, also has brightmaps (though in that case, they are fake-brightmaps made by manipulating the color palette)

Edited by ReaperAA

6 hours ago, Maes said:

It's hard to escape that "Doom 3" look, huh?

Probably because of all the Doom3 textures in the shot. Though I expect those will be replaced by original textures as per what Esselfortium said earlier in the thread.

6 hours ago, nexxtic28 said:

Because its not out yet :) We just announced it. No ''brutal doom'' effects, we have created our own gore system entirely through zscript that takes a lot of variables into consideration to make it seem accurate and react accordingly. So don't worry, there will be plenty of splatter and gore. We are trying to be like FEAR, after all! Shotgun gibbing included.

Oh my god, that sounds really awesome. Will it also be really detailed like, enemies slowly falling to the ground after a headshot with their head falling to the ground, their body splashing out blood creating a little pool of blood with the possibiliy to further shred their dead bloody body into little pieces with something like a cruelty bonus? Because that's what I ALWAYS love about Project Brutality/Brutal Doom. And it should also have smaller shreds of meat flying at the wall and slowly running down the wall until it hits the floor with huge still wet blood stains on the walls everywhere, still dropping creating even more but just smaller little blood pools on the ground with this unbelievably satisfying sound, like you can hear the blood falling on the ground and that always makes me smile when I finished a room. And it also should have things like guts flying everywhere around or like pieces of their brain flying around, just like, all those details but that's just a suggestion from me.

7 hours ago, 0o0[ULTIM4TE]L1FE[F0RM]0o0 said:

Does anyone have a download link? I can't find it... and also, does it have really brutal gore effects? Because they are important...

It literally was just announced.

And brutal gore effects are only important if they fit the style of gameplay (like Prodeus). Selaco does not seem the kind of game has to rely on such a mechanic.

4 hours ago, nexxtic28 said:

Technically true, but just like Shadow Warrior, Blood or Ion Fury; They are just small voxels that aren't usually bigger than 96x96x96. Except we converted and cleaned them up as .obj's rather than raw .kvx for performance reasons. I can use .kvx to be 'truly authentic', but fucking up the performance of the players just so you can proudly say ''Hey, at least we are authentic!'' is just mean 😋

Touché about the brightmaps! You got me there.

So, who is all working on this that have a DW profile? I see some names in here that were here when they released the Covid-19 mod and now seeing the discussion on the term Boomer-Shooter, i just kinda ''Heh''ed on that.

Also, Boomershooter, i am sure you have heard of https://twitter.com/boomershooter :)

32 minutes ago, 0o0[ULTIM4TE]L1FE[F0RM]0o0 said:

Oh my god, that sounds really awesome. Will it also be really detailed like, enemies slowly falling to the ground after a headshot with their head falling to the ground, their body splashing out blood creating a little pool of blood with the possibiliy to further shred their dead bloody body into little pieces with something like a cruelty bonus? Because that's what I ALWAYS love about Project Brutality/Brutal Doom.

...Selaco is trying to be FEAR 1 in GZDoom, so advanced AI, horror elements in a near-true day environment.

If you want to play what you describe, then play Project Brutality/Brutal Doom.

32 minutes ago, 0o0[ULTIM4TE]L1FE[F0RM]0o0 said:

And it should also have smaller shreds of meat flying at the wall and slowly running down the wall until it hits the floor with huge still wet blood stains on the walls everywhere, still dropping creating even more but just smaller little blood pools on the ground with this unbelievably satisfying sound, like you can hear the blood falling on the ground and that always makes me smile when I finished a room. And it also should have things like guts flying everywhere around or like pieces of their brain flying around, just like, all those details but that's just a suggestion from me.

This just sounds disturbing more than anything else.

2 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

So, who is all working on this that have a DW profile? I see some names in here that were here when they released the Covid-19 mod and now seeing the discussion on the term Boomer-Shooter, i just kinda ''Heh''ed on that.

''they released the covid-19 mod''. The covid-19 mod was 6 hours of work done by me as a joke. Please do not associate my team with that mod since they had nothing to do with it.

As for the team, other than my writer, I dont know who has a Doomworld profile. Most artists are freelancers, friends or professionals in the industry.

Edited by nexxtic28

5 hours ago, nexxtic28 said:

''they released the covid-19 mod''. The covid-19 mod was 6 hours of work done by me as a joke. Please do not associate my team with that mod since they had nothing to do with it.

...I didn't mean anything negative with this. I just tried to use neutral wording here.

Offtopic, but how does the mod land for you these days?

5 hours ago, nexxtic28 said:

As for the team, other than my writer, I dont know who has a Doomworld profile. Most artists are freelancers, friends or professionals in the industry.

Thank you.

11 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

This just sounds disturbing more than anything else.

Eh, you're not really gonna like Brutal Doom then... but in a very realistic environment, they will probably have really brutal gore effects then if it's supposed to be realistic. And I have never really Played FEAR, but is it fast, like Doom?

Fun fact about realistic gore, the human body does not actually contain over 200 gallons of blood.

7 hours ago, Gez said:

Fun fact about realistic gore, the human body does not actually contain over 200 gallons of blood.

Damn, first Mortal Kombat lied to me in the skeleton body, now Brutal Doom gore it's  unreallistic.   The next thing im gonna learn it's that you can't heal you hurting demons.

7 hours ago, 0o0[ULTIM4TE]L1FE[F0RM]0o0 said:

Eh, you're not really gonna like Brutal Doom then... but in a very realistic environment, they will probably have really brutal gore effects then if it's supposed to be realistic. And I have never really Played FEAR, but is it fast, like Doom?

I'm pressume something like this. Not take my word in this.

https://youtu.be/RtZYPYNQ0YY?t=506

42 minutes ago, jamondemarnatural said:

Damn, first Mortal Kombat lied to me in the skeleton body, now Brutal Doom gore it's  unreallistic.   The next thing im gonna learn it's that you can't heal you hurting demons. 

I'm pressume something like this. Not take my word in this.

https://youtu.be/RtZYPYNQ0YY?t=506

Well yeah, 4000 liters of blood isn't much realistic but shreds of flesh and body parts flying around is realistic after getting hit by the Super shotgun, though. But I usually limit the amount of blood in Brutal Doom because so much blood isn't realistic and you can't see the body parts very good if you have so much blood. And the hit feedback isn't as good because if a pistol shot makes them loose 200000 liters of blood, you won't see the difference between 200000 and 300000 if you use the shotgun instead. Also, in the end, good gameplay is more important than good gore but good gore adds a lot of atmosphere and weapon feedback which is why I usually prefer having them over not having them. But I'm really looking forward to play Selaco. Also, sorry about the thing with the download link, I just noticed that the game isn't finished yet. And will the full game be free? Assuming it's gonna be a WAD for GZDoom, I would assume so, right?

5 hours ago, 0o0[ULTIM4TE]L1FE[F0RM]0o0 said:

Well yeah, 4000 liters of blood isn't much realistic but shreds of flesh and body parts flying around is realistic after getting hit by the Super shotgun, though. But I usually limit the amount of blood in Brutal Doom because so much blood isn't realistic and you can't see the body parts very good if you have so much blood. And the hit feedback isn't as good because if a pistol shot makes them loose 200000 liters of blood, you won't see the difference between 200000 and 300000 if you use the shotgun instead. Also, in the end, good gameplay is more important than good gore but good gore adds a lot of atmosphere and weapon feedback which is why I usually prefer having them over not having them. But I'm really looking forward to play Selaco. Also, sorry about the thing with the download link, I just noticed that the game isn't finished yet. And will the full game be free? Assuming it's gonna be a WAD for GZDoom, I would assume so, right?

A wad could also work standalone in GZDOOM engine, so it's free to put a price for the game, and for the Quality of the screenshots, i hope it's get standalone, will help to diversify the GZEngine =/= Doom.

1 minute ago, jamondemarnatural said:

A wad could also work standalone in GZDOOM engine, so it's free to put a price for the game, and for the Quality of the screenshots, i hope it's get standalone, will help to diversify the GZEngine =/= Doom.

Yeah, that's true. What do you mean by it's free to put a price for the game? I don't really understand that what you're talking about. My question was if the game was going to be free.

9 hours ago, 0o0[ULTIM4TE]L1FE[F0RM]0o0 said:

Eh, you're not really gonna like Brutal Doom then...

I like BD's mechanics. Its history or its ketchup like abundance of gore, not so much.

but in a very realistic environment, they will probably have really brutal gore effects then if it's supposed to be realistic.

Good thing its modelled gore and not photographed/digitized gore. You will look at the latter with a different lens.

And I have never really Played FEAR, but is it fast, like Doom?

Its more horror like (hence the name). Revolves around a girl named Alma and a bloke named Paxton Fettel. It has action though, and lots of it. Enemy behavior is very realistic and 15 years later still in a league of its own. Slow motion is awesome.

But its the shotgun that sells it:

The only shotgun in history that can match Doom's or Dukes. And, dare i say, it packs a lot more body than either of them. Such a dry thumping sound, the way every shotgun should sound.

2 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

I like BD's mechanics. Its history or its ketchup like abundance of gore, not so much.

Good thing its modelled gore and not photographed/digitized gore. You will look at the latter with a different lens.

Its more horror like (hence the name). Revolves around a girl named Alma and a bloke named Paxton Fettel. It has action though, and lots of it. Enemy behavior is very realistic and 15 years later still in a league of its own. Slow motion is awesome.

But its the shotgun that sells it:

The only shotgun in history that can match Doom's or Dukes. And, dare i say, it packs a lot more body than either of them. Such a dry thumping sound, the way every shotgun should sound.

Well, of course real gore would be disgusting but I know it's not real and therefore I can appreciate how much work and detail was put into the gore effects of Brutal Doom. And, we're still playing a very brutal game about killing demons with giant guns so I think it just fits really well into the game atmosphere. And yes, the mechanics of Brutal Doom/Project Brutality are awesome and my opinion, the gore just fits it really well. Also, what do you mean by the history behind Brutal Doom? Is there anything behind Brutal Doom I should know about? You're making me curious now...

And by the way, yeah, the shotgun sound of FEAR is indeed really awesome and satisfying...

6 minutes ago, 0o0[ULTIM4TE]L1FE[F0RM]0o0 said:

Well, of course real gore would be disgusting but I know it's not real and therefore I can appreciate how much work and detail was put into the gore effects of Brutal Doom. And, we're still playing a very brutal game about killing demons with giant guns so I think it just fits really well into the game atmosphere. And yes, the mechanics of Brutal Doom/Project Brutality are awesome and my opinion, the gore just fits it really well. Also, what do you mean by the history behind Brutal Doom? Is there anything behind Brutal Doom I should know about? You're making me curious now...

No, there is nothing you should know about Brutal Doom regarding its history.

6 minutes ago, 0o0[ULTIM4TE]L1FE[F0RM]0o0 said:

And by the way, yeah, the shotgun sound of FEAR is indeed really awesome and satisfying...

That little clip also highlights a little bit how AI works (moving backwards, signalling trouble, and so forth).

20 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

No, there is nothing you should know about Brutal Doom regarding its history.

That little clip also highlights a little bit how AI works (moving backwards, signalling trouble, and so forth).

Okay but what did you mean by that:

33 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

13 minutes ago, 0o0[ULTIM4TE]L1FE[F0RM]0o0 said:

Okay but what did you mean by that:

He means that he likes the game mechanics of the mod but not the over abundance of blood and gore (Though that can be toned down.).

23 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Offtopic, but how does the mod land for you these days?

Thank you.

Sorry for going off-topic.

To be honest, I wouldn't have made that covid-19 mod if I got the idea today. Early March it was still in its infancy and despite how shitty it was, I was trying to make light of the situation by turning it into a joke. It is partially how I cope with things; make a joke about it.

Currently though, far too many people are struggling with this pandemic both mentally, physically and/or financially, that joking about it won't sit well for a lot of people. It is still my preferred way of coping, but with how many people have lost a loved one at this point, it is no longer about what I want or feel. I've been lucky so far, which is unfortunately not the case for many others.

Fuck covid.

Edited by nexxtic28

15 hours ago, nexxtic28 said:

Sorry for going off-topic.

To be honest, I wouldn't have made that covid-19 mod if I got the idea today. Early March it was still in its infancy and despite how shitty it was, I was trying to make light of the situation by turning it into a joke. It is partially how I cope with things; make a joke about it.

Currently though, far too many people are struggling with this pandemic both mentally, physically and/or financially, that joking about it won't sit well for a lot of people. It is still my preferred way of coping, but with how many people have lost a loved one at this point, it is no longer about what I want or feel. I've been lucky so far, which is unfortunately not the case for many others.

Fuck covid.

Thanks for this.

On 12/14/2020 at 8:36 PM, Ajora said:

I really don't understand the hate for the term. I find it kind of amusing, personally. 

I don't care for the term, personally, but I've accepted it as part of the common lingo at this point.

8 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Try reinserting the tweet so the content becomes visible. DW can embed tweets but sometimes wont load them up as is happened here.

Great screenshot tho. Got instant Prodeus vibes.

Epm4DQ1XYAE9EVc?format=jpg&name=large

Looks great! I like the HUD. Clean doesn't even cover it :)

4 hours ago, holaareola said:

Epm4DQ1XYAE9EVc?format=jpg&name=large

Looks great! I like the HUD. Clean doesn't even cover it :)

Oh, damn. This looks really nice!

The billboard has an interesting piece of world-building as well. Apparently the Earth got destroyed or something prior to the events of this game?