"New year, new URE" - URE:E2 - E2M2 up!

Posted (edited)

Oh no.

I forgot that there's also all that smeared nukage on it and several noticable bullet holes.

I mean.. it's dark and you'll just step over it and be on your way..

..but I know they're there. Or rather.. not there.

Grr.

Edited by Zylinderkatze

It's high time..

..that someone finds the switch and turns on the reactor. Sheesh.

e2m6m1.png

So dark.

Also, this is not the reactor. But we are getting closer.

Also, I have a few ideas for stuff crossing over and such.. like- getting to the reactor in two seperate ways.

It's currently still kind of "floaty", where map progression goes, though.

Let's see where it floats to :D

More already?

As I said, the place is slowly coming together.

e2m6m2.png

Browwwwwwwn.

I also now know why crossing over to this part from the "secret(ish)" passage is maybe a good idea..

It has to do with radiation.

Theoretical update

I didn't map much yesterday, aside from a "proof of concept" kind of thing I wanted to try after watching a playthrough on EduardoAndFriends' channel. It was basically a direct rip of something someone else did in their map.. a very rare, if not a first (conscious) thing for me.

I'm not sure whether mine was "vanilla" and theirs wasn't.. and even though it looked kinda cool, I didn't feel like I could really add anything worthwhile to the concept either way, so I scrapped it again ^^;

During the meanwhilst, I am still tossing around the idea(s) of how & why exactly the reactor at E2M6 is not working and what you actually do to get it back up and running.

I do have ideas, I just need to work out which one(s) work best with the theme, feel most believable and create the most fun interaction. It'll involve sector interaction / doomcute stuff, that much I can say. But that's not really a surprise anymore, with my maps, I guess ^^;

More soon!

Oh look..

..seems like you activated my trap card }:3

e2m6m3.png

I wonder what this button does!

Admittedly, still in progress. But I am not really feeling it today (worked too long, not much energy left) so I am taking a slow day today.

If you are familiar with the default doom textures, you might notice that I am "off the grid". This is FLOOR0_5, which is off by 40x 8y map units from the 64x64 grid. I started moving stuff in this area to work with the way I am using FLOOR4_8 (the metal hexagons).. which is not offset the same way but it aligned for me.. I'm trailing off.

Anyways. This is the way you approach the "maybe a little too close to the reactor core" section. Necessary to give it a kickstart.

But the way you actually get here is the challenge.

I'll try not to make it too "puzzle-y". I think it'll be a challenging fight instead. 

Challenging. As in.. not unfair.

Watch me fail at that :D

But not now.

Later!

Is this the way in?

So I had another idea- this time on how the outside of the very small switch area from the last screenshot would look like.

However, it was more oppressive in my mind so this will very likely still change (a lot). It had lower ceilings and all.. a longer passage leading up to the "door".

But for the time being, I give you this!

e2m6m4.png

It's something!

I think I also want it to look a little more "organic". Yet still mechanic / technical. There need to be more angles that aren't 90°.

Take this as the "before" :)

Heeere we go.

I had had the idea of "pipes" or something looking like connections / cables / what-have-you from / to that control room. As you can already tell in the previous shot.

e2m6m5.png

"When in doubt, use washboards"

Background: I had some trouble with making the walls and the ceilings and floors align while also introducing some more dynamic angles.. so I instead opted for obscuring things, like you can see above.

I'm pretty pleased with this, even if it's just a very small change. That's why I am sharing it ^^

There will also be stuff running along the ceiling and potentially also enbedded in the floor but I wanted to show a first victory.

Posted (edited)

More progress images you say?

Oh.. you didn't? It was me? And I didn't even try to speak in a different voice?

How lazy.

e2m6m5b.png

Sorry I'm not home right now..

If these don't draw your eye, I don't know what will.

Not really feeling like mapping right now, to be honest- but I wanted to put these things in the map and see how they look.

Good. They look good.

At least to me. And that's kind of who I am doing this for in the first place :D

Goodnight for now!

Edited by Zylinderkatze