Doom 32X Resurrection

Vic

On 1/28/2023 at 2:32 PM, marwin91 said:

Hello, thank you for your beautiful hack. It is possible to play a CD32X version on emulation ?

LaunchBox can handle Sega CD 32X games, but I've never tried it and I have no idea how it reads the games. It has Doom 32X Resurrection as a 32X game, but no CD music for it. I'm wondering if it's possible to open a custom game which is not present in the game collection of LaunchBox.

CD32X is not the same as 32X+Mode1 CD. CD32X is booting a SegaCD that starts up the 32X in CD mode (everything is running from SDRAM, and there is no cart). 32X+Mode1 CD is a standard 32X cart that detects and starts the CD in Mode 1, which allows the cart to do things like play CD tracks, read sectors from the CD, use the ASIC, etc.

Fusion allows up to 6MB of mapped rom. Picodrive allows larger rom sizes as it's newer. Also, since picodrive is still being worked on, there's a decent chance they may add Mode 1 support.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/16/2023 at 11:30 AM, Vic said:

No plans for EP4 at the moment. I don't think that porting over the whole of what constitutes "The Final Doom" would be worth the effort. The way I see it, TFD was a quick cashgrab on id soft's part and most of the maps in EP4 were substandard.

I have something in the works that should make compiling custom map packs for D32XR considerably easier, so if anyone volunteers to port over EP4, he's going to have an easier time doing that.

I'm confused. Final Doom is the next standalone game after Doom 2, it's unrelated to Thy Flesh Consumed. Not that it's relevant of course, I was just wondering which one you were exactly referring to.

Edited by Individualised

4 hours ago, Individualised said:

I'm confused. Final Doom is the next standalone game after Doom 2, it's unrelated to Thy Flesh Consumed. Not that it's relevant of course, I was just wondering which one you were exactly referring to.

Yeah, I was referring to UD :) Confused the two DOOMs with similarly silly names there!

5 hours ago, Vic said:

Yeah, I was referring to UD :) Confused the two DOOMs with similarly silly names there!

Two Dooms of questionable quality who both claim to be the last release of Doom :P (though I will always defend Final Doom)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Question, weapon sprites are stored in in low resolution, correct? Could these be replaced with sprites from pc doom, so they would look proper in highres mode? Or there simply wont be enough space left?

Yeah, the full res weapon sprites would take additional ~100KiB of ROM space, which we don't have at the moment.

What's the reason for the ROM size limit? Isn't it possible for the 32X to use larger ROMs? The Genesis/SNES eventually broke the 4MB barrier, isn't that possible with the 32X?

And now that i mentioned it, what was so special about the 4MB size limit? Seems like both the 32X and Jaguar don't have released games larger than that and even the Genesis only saw larger games with modern, aftermarket releases. Only the SNES looks like it had a couple of bigger ROMs released back in the day in Japan.

Genesis can adress only 4MB, to get more you need to use some kind of bank switching (sega mapper), which complicates things a bit. And btw there was officially released first party game on 5MB cartridge, the Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers.

Edited by Ganimoth

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

And here's the complete list of the v3.0 changelog, just to save everyone a click for whatever reason.

Spoiler

F37CRR9WcAASNyQ?format=png&name=900x900

Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind? I'm interested!

I'm guessing Fortress of Mystery has been moved to it's proper spot since the slot for Dis actually holds E3M8 now? What about the Jaguar Tower of Babel replacement? The only missing map slot now is Warrens (since Slough of Dispair was added in an earlier update) so I wonder if it has been moved there.

The Jaguar Tower of Babel is now MAP 27 and is one of the secret levels and is now called "Hell Gate". No level has been lost, some are just called differently now.

The game now has 27 levels, 8 plus 1 secret level per episode including a secret exit. Mount Erebus was expanded the most. Some levels have been renamed to avoid confusion with the levels of the same name in the console version.

By the way: My automap is broken and the music in Refinery strangely stops at some point? I use Fusion.

Edited by Marsguy

19 minutes ago, Marsguy said:

By the way: My automap is broken and the music in Refinery strangely stops at some point? I use Fusion.

Broken how?

NVM, found it. A bug that crippled in on the day of the release (

Edited by Vic

The automap no longer appears throughout the game unless you pick up the auto item as seen in the video.

Edited by Marsguy

48 minutes ago, Marsguy said:

The automap no longer appears throughout the game unless you pick up the auto item as seen in the video.

This is now fixed in v3.0a, checkout the DL link over at RHDN

I've had no issues with 2.2b, but 3.0a freezes my Genesis/Sega Cd/32x combo (both the CD1 "Tower of Power" with an original Genesis, and the CD2 variation with a Genesis 2 attached). With the Sega CD attached it freezes right before I attempt to enter the EXIT door on Level 1. I have made it into that door with the Sega CD unattached, but it freezes at the level stats screen (the stats screen will also display as static on the lower half of the screen). During today's testing I also had a couple instances (same location) where the frames per second were perhaps 1 frame per second. Made it to the lever to end the stage, but immediately froze afterwards.

Edit: Also, after renaming my save to match the rom, my completed save is not recognized. I've always been able to use my save on previous versions.

Edit #2: I finally made it past the first stage, but the second stage was nothing but graphical glitches, I could move and hear the sounds, but unable to actually play. I forget the specific name of this issue, but all the graphics are multiplying or painting the entire screen as you move around. This is on a Sega Cd 2 w/32x. Mega Everdrive (Mega SD doesn't boot the game at all - any version).

Edited by Virtual_Davey

13 hours ago, Individualised said:

I'm guessing Fortress of Mystery has been moved to it's proper spot since the slot for Dis actually holds E3M8 now?

That is true.

13 hours ago, Individualised said:

What about the Jaguar Tower of Babel replacement?

It's now the Episode 3 secret map.

Note for anyone curious: I'm the one who ported the boss maps over and rearranged the map order for them.

Edited by Wavy

8 hours ago, Jorge2222 said:

Why there are no sound effects?
I am using the Picodrive core in Retroarch.

Try changing sfx driver in the audio menu (in the game) to PWM. Report a bug to picodrive maintainers.

7 hours ago, Virtual_Davey said:

Mega Everdrive (Mega SD doesn't boot the game at all - any version). 

Which Everdrive version?

Edited by Vic

6 hours ago, Vic said:

Try changing sfx driver in the audio menu (in the game) to PWM. Report a bug to picodrive maintainers.

Which Everdrive version?

Mega Everdrive V1.01 19.03.12

Sounds is working fine for me in Picodrive in RA on pc (PicoDrive 1.99-5703193)

Edited by Ganimoth

18 minutes ago, Jorge2222 said:

There is no option to change the sfx driver.

It only lets me turn it off.

Doom-32x Resurrection-230821-162107.png

Doom-32x Resurrection-230821-162118.png

I think you're confusing sound effects with music. First you said there were no sound effects. Then you demonstrated the music option being set to OFF or FM. So what exactly isn't working, the sound effects or the music? Either way it's a picodrive bug though

UPD: just tried RetroArch on my mac and there's no in-game sounds there indeed. No idea why.. and to really drive it home, it's a picodrive bug. I'm not going to spend days trying to find a workaround for it, only to break something else in the end.

Edited by Vic

Weird, could it be a bug in retroarch on some platforms? I tried both latest stable and nightly RA on Windows, both are using the same picodrive version and sound works just fine for me. Also works on both my linux handhelds running a bit older versions

Edited by Ganimoth

1 hour ago, Jorge2222 said:

There is no option to change the sfx driver.

It only lets me turn it off.

Doom-32x Resurrection-230821-162107.png

Doom-32x Resurrection-230821-162118.png

I'm more concerned about the fact that it looks like a CRT TV with a screen made out of frosted glass...

Edited by Individualised