Widescreen Assets Pack and Appreciation Thread

13 hours ago, Terraformer9x said:

Just did Eviternity now, I'm not too happy with how the BOSSBACK turned out so I'll just hope someone in the future does a better job.

TITLEPIC.png

CREDIT.png

BOSSBACK.png

STBAR.png

Awesome, I was looking for these

6 hours ago, Terraformer9x said:

Here's some HR2 wide stuff. At this point, I think there should be a repository started for widescreen assets for PWADs.

Sorry if this seems like spam but this thread really motivated me to do a bunch of widescreen stuff today.

I agree, also, don't be afraid to spam with more, I'm loving these.

16 minutes ago, Scuba Steve said:

@Graf Zahl this thread seems to indicate your hash idea for implementing widescreen art might be a good one.

I think it's a good option, but shouldn't be on by default. Then again, this is GZDoom we're talking about, so I don't think passable default settings are much of a priority in this case.

16 hours ago, Terraformer9x said:

Just did Eviternity now, I'm not too happy with how the BOSSBACK turned out so I'll just hope someone in the future does a better job.

TITLEPIC.png

CREDIT.png

BOSSBACK.png

STBAR.png

These look cool, but Eviternity already has an official widescreen STBAR:
STBAR-XX.png.4e1d334366fee30358839379fff9e86a.png
Yes, it actually looks like this :/

1 minute ago, Hitboi said:

These look cool, but Eviternity already has an official widescreen STBAR:
STBAR-XX.png.4e1d334366fee30358839379fff9e86a.png
Yes, it actually looks like this :/

Thankies, yeah I already knew Eviternity had an official widescreen status bar but... I think you can understand why I made my own anyway.

13 hours ago, Terraformer9x said:

Here's some HR2 wide stuff. At this point, I think there should be a repository started for widescreen assets for PWADs.

Sorry if this seems like spam but this thread really motivated me to do a bunch of widescreen stuff today.

TITLEPIC.png

INTERPIC.png

HELP.png

STBAR.png

Now you gotta do base Hell Revealed, in all its ugliness

But yeah, widescreen assets for various cacoward winners and popular things is hardly spam; think of them as bringing them into the modern age, when almost all of us have widecreen monitors. 4:3 is a relic of the past, and stuff these days SHOULD be making widescreen versions themselves. I've been quietly making upgrade patches for old stuff to make level names appear and fixing minor bugs, widescreen versions of the internal art is just another cool bonus :)

1 hour ago, Devalaous said:

Now you gotta do base Hell Revealed, in all its ugliness

But yeah, widescreen assets for various cacoward winners and popular things is hardly spam; think of them as bringing them into the modern age, when almost all of us have widecreen monitors. 4:3 is a relic of the past, and stuff these days SHOULD be making widescreen versions themselves. I've been quietly making upgrade patches for old stuff to make level names appear and fixing minor bugs, widescreen versions of the internal art is just another cool bonus :)

I'm excited to see those level names, as they're very much needed for classics like Scythe. I'd do it myself but I've always been hesitant as then I'm unsure of what to put for the story text.

As for 4:3 being a relic of the past, I would say that 4:3 assets should absolutely not be left behind, as then it starts cutting of legacy support. Widescreen assets as an optional addon for a modern experience is a better mindset if you ask me.

Speaking of Scythe, I made UMAPINFO file for Scythe 2 with episode selection and level names:doom01.png.9861b9848584b713b3fabaf9de7145c9.png

Of course, we don't have “official” episode titles, but I still like to replay my favorite episodes using this menu.

scythe2_um.zip

Edited by rfomin

22 minutes ago, rfomin said:

Speaking of Scythe, I made UMAPINFO file for Scythe 2 with episode selection and level names:doom01.png.9861b9848584b713b3fabaf9de7145c9.png

Of course, we don't have “official” episode titles, but I still like to replay my favorite episodes using this menu.

scythe2_um.zip

I woulda called them along the lines of:

Dark Ages

Empires of Sand

Industrial Evil

Excess

Casali's Last Stand

The Ninth Circle

But either way, this is pretty damn cool. I forgot, which source ports support UMAPINFO? I know GZDoom/ZDoom and the recent PrBoom-plus fork support it, is there any others?

2 hours ago, OpenRift said:

I'm excited to see those level names, as they're very much needed for classics like Scythe. I'd do it myself but I've always been hesitant as then I'm unsure of what to put for the story text.

As for 4:3 being a relic of the past, I would say that 4:3 assets should absolutely not be left behind, as then it starts cutting of legacy support. Widescreen assets as an optional addon for a modern experience is a better mindset if you ask me.

Honestly, im likely to just put a line in a MAPINFO that skips the default Doom 2 text screens.

Its frustrating enough trying

to separate all the text

into lines that will display

just fine on vanilla doom

just like this.

If a wad's story is defined in a text file, I encourage others to write stuff out for them, but otherwise I'd rather skip the process entirely. I also need to learn how to do all the various INFO types. Sigil is neat, as it has almost all of them inside it to study. An ideal upgrade pack should have support for all ports, afterall.

And yeah, im not saying 4:3 support should go out the window, as that's literally all that the older more archaic ports and exes can support, just that 16:9 should be the standard today, as I don't think 4:3 monitors are even being sold anymore. I've definitely not seen one in NZ for a long time. Ideally wads these days should come with widescreen graphics in addition to the 4:3 stuff. D64ID2 comes with widescreen status bar wads for example.

5 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

But either way, this is pretty damn cool. I forgot, which source ports support UMAPINFO? I know GZDoom/ZDoom and the recent PrBoom-plus fork support it, is there any others?

DSDA-Doom, Woof, Doom Retro

1 minute ago, Devalaous said:

Honestly, im likely to just put a line in a MAPINFO that skips the default Doom 2 text screens.

Its frustrating enough trying

to separate all the text

into lines that will display

just fine on vanilla doom

just like this.

Well I'm also thinking about vanilla mapnames via, since that's usually how I do it when it comes to that.

2 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

D64ID2 comes with widescreen status bar wads for example.

Yeah, I did that exact same thing when releasing TWANGO1.

1 minute ago, rfomin said:

DSDA-Doom, Woof, Doom Retro

Ah cool. Yeah, Woof is my main Boom/MBF port these days, because it's essentially Crispy MBF at this point. Plus it has support for the widescreen stuff, so ;)

3 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

Yeah, I did that exact same thing when releasing TWANGO1.

Which reminds me...

DOOM0001.png.0e9ea937300fdb383f32fdce80b85950.png

Might as well put my own widescreen assets here :P

twango1_ws.zip

3 hours ago, Terraformer9x said:

Got a motherload to unpack here, here's DTWID and DTWID Lost Episodes. Rest of the stuff such as animation frames for the maps are in the ZIP. There is also an 'ultimate' version of the TITLEPIC as well.

TITLEPIC.png

CREDIT.png

WIMAP0.png

WIMAP1.png

WIMAP2.png

TITLEPIC.png

DTWID_Widescreen.zip

Awesome man, great stuff.

4 hours ago, Terraformer9x said:

Got a motherload to unpack here, here's DTWID and DTWID Lost Episodes. Rest of the stuff such as animation frames for the maps are in the ZIP. There is also an 'ultimate' version of the TITLEPIC as well.

TITLEPIC.png

CREDIT.png

WIMAP0.png

WIMAP1.png

WIMAP2.png

TITLEPIC.png

DTWID_Widescreen.zip

Awesome. Did you know that same artist did a TITLEPIC and BOSSBACK for D2TWID? I dunno why it wasnt used, but its viewable here https://www.deviantart.com/kracov/art/Doom-Screens-314071679

On 5/17/2021 at 8:41 AM, Devalaous said:

Awesome. Did you know that same artist did a TITLEPIC and BOSSBACK for D2TWID? I dunno why it wasnt used, but its viewable here https://www.deviantart.com/kracov/art/Doom-Screens-314071679

I actually didn't know there was additional art, but I may not do them only because they're not used. Time will tell though.

Anyway, I'm bumping because I gave another attempt at making Eviternity's BOSSBACK widescreen. Sorry if the seams seem a little noticeable here, I tried to the best of my ability to make them not noticeable but the edges of the original version have pretty drastic changes in the last bunch of pixels that it's hard to make look right when extending.

BOSSBACK.png

Well, im gonna use them for my custom version of the midtwid pack for d2twid :p

Been looking through my Doom Launcher setup and theres a lot of wads that would easy to widescreenify, especially stuff like Jenesis. It looks SO much better not having those edges with black bars.

Also sorry for slacking on making the wads with the ready-to-use assets, been busy the last few days on a different modding project

With GZDoom's 4.6.0 release, I was dismayed to find out that Doom Launcher's method of running the Deathkings expansion did not cause the Deathkings widescreen graphics to actually load up. So I extracted them from GZDoom's files and put them in a wad for Doom Launcher to load up alongside Deathkings, and now I have them working externally. Credit goes to Nash for the graphics.

Will get to making the other ones soon, except for Eviternity; I cant seem to figure out the palette stuff there.

<removed old version>

Edited by Devalaous

Oh dear, triple post.

I have caught up at last; here is a collection of zips with wads ready to use the widescreen assets posted so far, except for Eviternity; I just cant get that to work because apparently I am stupid.

Included is Hexen and Heretic, with credit to Nash Muhandes; Hexen comes with my music fix for Effluvium and Maze restoration. Heretic is in two versions, so that people can go back to the original titlepic if they want to. Also included in the Kick Attack folder is a little fix I made that gives it a dehacked/mapinfo lump. Original Doom 1 Kick Attack is not covered.

Eventually I want to gather a big zip of these and publish with a credits text file, as Nash rightfully requires crediting him (These are just quick files so far, so a proper version will come.)

I also am splitting all widescreen status bars into their own wads; NightFright's excellent fullscreen status bar mod for GZDoom breaks with any widescreen bar, so keeping these external is ideal.

[Files removed: Outdated]

Edited by Devalaous

Good to see work being done on popular mods! :) Yeah, the hash-based replacement thing would really come in handy for GZDoom...

4 hours ago, Devalaous said:

I have caught up at last; here is a collection of zips with wads ready to use the widescreen assets posted so far, except for Eviternity; I just cant get that to work because apparently I am stupid.

In that case, I might as well upload my own.

Eviternity_ws.rar

For the record, I just converted the images in Slade while having Eviternity's palette loaded into the wad.

10 minutes ago, Trilby Trillion said:

In that case, I might as well upload my own.

Eviternity_ws.rar

For the record, I just converted the images in Slade while having Eviternity's palette loaded into the wad.

Thanks for that. I don't have a full grasp of Slade's features yet, but I generally learn quickly. So far ive only been using Slade for xINFO, Dehacked and regular palette conversions.

Nash uploaded some new art for the Frost Shards that will be added to GZDoom's next version. Instead of waiting that long, here's new versions

[Files removed: outdated]

Edited by Devalaous