dsda-launcher [v1.3] + dsda-doom for MacOS

So yeah, apparently the problem comes from the SDL2 update as you suggested @PBeGood4. I tried to replace it with an older version from 2021 and that seemed to fix the issue. Now I can enjoy my native display again : )

Of course I don't know if this rudimentary trick might have some graphical repercussions, but I played a little bit after and it didn't look like it.

Edited by s4f3s3x

11 hours ago, PBeGood4 said:

Why are you using -file? There is a tab to add pwads.

The short answer is you don't but it's usually faster than your designed method. My questions are why do I have to? Why aren't they all automatically available like they used to with the right one selected like it used to be?

What else do you keep having the need to change manually between launches?

I'll explain by example. Take Roofi's recent d2all demo for 180mpv, recorded on prboom+ 2.5.1.4 - https://dsdarchive.com/files/demos/180mpv/67311/180mpv_d2all_51202.zip.

Double click the zip. Double click the lmp.

1. pre v25 dsdadoom. Launcher appears. Review. If iwad not right, drop down list and select doom2. If file not right, click 180mpv in the file list presented (supports type ahead if you have large pwad list in there). Click to launch. Quick, painless.
  2. your launcher + dsdadoom v25. Your launcher appears. The demo is populated. If iwad not right, select it. If complevel not right select it. Now, where does the pwad come from? Rather than having a window with them all listed, I have to click the wads tab. I have to add the wad if it hasn't been added before. To have the same functionality as before I would have to hand add every pwad I have to the list. Then the list has unnecessary info, the full paths are listed. There is no type ahead to get to the pwad in the list that I want. Further, there is no selection process to pick which one or ones to use. Every pwad in the list is added to the launch command which is definitely not what I expect. Finally, the wads are listed not in an alphabetic order but in the order that they were added so it's hard to spot the one you want even if you could select just that one. At the moment to get it launch properly, I have to make sure only the right pwad is in the list and remove all the others, each and every time I swap pwad demos to playback.

Step 2 takes longer than just throwing in a "-file pwadname> entry at the moment.

Another thing, is there a way to see what the command line that will be passed to dsdadoom BEFORE launching? That would be most helpful. At the moment I have do the launch and then see what parameters were passed.

Edited by tmorrow

@tmorrow The lmp you linked does not have a footer. For demos with a footer, the Launcher is autoselecting everything correctly, right?

I understand that having a list with every pwad can be useful, but Im not sure it is the best way to handle hundreds of pwads. I store my pwads in different folders for each complevel, author, etc. When you click the button to add a pwad it will open file explorer on the folder you selected a pwad last from. This should make it easy and fast (not as fast as a list with all the pwads) to select the desired pwad.

On your case I can see how a list is much more appropriate, but I dont think thats true for most users. I'll look into other Launcher to try to find a way to make it better for everyone.

The pwads list cannot be in alphabetical order since the order they are in is important for loading the files correctly.

Not showing the full path is a good idea, I'll do that for the next version.

6 hours ago, tmorrow said:

Another thing, is there a way to see what the command line that will be passed to dsdadoom BEFORE launching? That would be most helpful. At the moment I have do the launch and then see what parameters were passed.

Press the ? button on the left of Launch. If you want to see the complete command, press copy and paste it somewhere.

I thought that this would be intuitive. How do you think I can make it more intuitive?

Thanks for the feedback!

I know it doesn't have a footer, that's why I picked it, to explain the problem when the launcher doesn't pick up a pwad. For demos with a footer, the launch will work provided you review and remove everything but that pwad on the wads tab.

8 hours ago, PBeGood4 said:

Press the ? button on the left of Launch.

My bad. It's intuitive but somehow I got the idea it was the setting from the previous launch, but I see it is for launch you are about to do. It works perfectly.

I understand you have your pwads organised in separate folders. If you add some pwads in say complevel 2 folder, and some author folder under that and then keep playing back or recording demos for it, then it works fine. However, every time you want to change you have to do several things. You have to navigate from that last folder to a new folder. Then you have to add the pwads and finally you have to remove the old pwads. That is not efficient.

I really liked the way the old launcher worked. It suited my needs very well for someone that plays back lots of different demos and is way quicker to launch for me than with the new launcher.

Best of luck with the launcher.

3 hours ago, purplerihno83 said:

Hehe nice...

If you are wondering if libcrypto has anything to do with cryptomining, it does not.
It is an OpenSSL library needed for networking

3 hours ago, PBeGood4 said:

If you are wondering if libcrypto has anything to do with cryptomining, it does not.
It is an OpenSSL library needed for networking

Oh I know but I still find it funny cause an user who isn't that tech savvy may see it and assume the worst lol.

• 1 month later...

Does the loader load wad files from the variables set for the wad folder? It seems it doesn't work unless I put wads into the folder the launcher is.

17 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

Does the loader load wad files from the variables set for the wad folder? It seems it doesn't work unless I put wads into the folder the launcher is.

Could you elaborate? Do you mean the “PWADs Folders”?

1 hour ago, PBeGood4 said:

Could you elaborate? Do you mean the “PWADs Folders”?

So, the history is:

I didn't know this before... but when 0.25 came out and my old config file doesn't work, I have to create a new folder. Then I was told that, I can add an environmental variable about a directory, and DSDA-Doom will read that even I only type "-file XXX.wad". Therefore, now all the WADs are placed in a directory which is different from my 0.25 directory.

I linked *.lmp files to DSDA-Launcher, and it seems the launcher will put in the fields about WAD files etc., so I can play it. However, it seems only filling the WAD files if the WAD files are in the same directory of the DSDA-Launcher, not the ones in the environmental variable.

Not sure whether this is clear enough. Please let me know if this doesn't make sense. Thanks.

8 minutes ago, PBeGood4 said:

@GarrettChan on the latest version, the launcher should be able to find WADs from DOOMWADDIR and DOOMWADPATH.

Are you using these variables? Or are you using PATH?

Hmm, I have to check. Will get back to you when I checked. Thanks.

4 hours ago, PBeGood4 said:

@GarrettChan on the latest version, the launcher should be able to find WADs from DOOMWADDIR and DOOMWADPATH.

hmm, I'm using these 2, and I updated to the latest version yesterday... weird.

Oh, it seems it's because I didn't extract the demo from WinRAR...

Edited by GarrettChan

6 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

Oh, it seems it's because I didn't extract the demo from WinRAR...

Does it work fine if you unzip it?

Both dsda-doom and dsda-launcher have no support for .zip files. It is something that I can add to my TO DO list, but its not a priority.

7 hours ago, PBeGood4 said:

Does it work fine if you unzip it?

Both dsda-doom and dsda-launcher have no support for .zip files. It is something that I can add to my TO DO list, but its not a priority.

It works by inserting %doomwaddir%/xxx.wad so basically it works fine, but yeah, hopefully one day it will support the ones in .zip files. extracting a demo to watch is a bit of nuisance.

Also, just in case you don't know, people were talking about it should auto load .deh as well. I didn't know whether you can distinguish if the .deh is needed, but somebody say the .wad has a footer or something, which I have no knowledge. So maybe this is another thing to add to TODO list?

Thanks.

4 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

Also, just in case you don't know, people were talking about it should auto load .deh as well. I didn't know whether you can distinguish if the .deh is needed, but somebody say the .wad has a footer or something, which I have no knowledge. So maybe this is another thing to add to TODO list?

I didnt know WADs had a footer, I’ll have to look into it.

Thanks for letting me know!

7 minutes ago, PBeGood4 said:

I didnt know WADs had a footer, I’ll have to look into it.

Thanks for letting me know!

It's not the WAD that has the footer, it's the demo. But dehs aren't always in the -file list, they are typically in the -deh list (-file support is more recent). I've also noticed that the launcher doesn't grab those.

45 minutes ago, 4shockblast said:

It's not the WAD that has the footer, it's the demo. But dehs aren't always in the -file list, they are typically in the -deh list (-file support is more recent). I've also noticed that the launcher doesn't grab those.

Yes it currently only searches on -file.

Does -bex also exist? I havent found a spec document about demo footers.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, PBeGood4 said:

Yes it currently only searches on -file.

Does -bex also exist? I havent found a spec document about demo footers.

Thanks

That I'm not sure of; I've never used -bex, and I don't believe I look for such an arg in my DSDA uploads script. HHE files are not supported by DSDA-Doom though.

• 3 months later...
On 6/7/2023 at 11:28 AM, s4f3s3x said:

Any update with the launcher for 0.26 ?

I'll try to try to release a new version this weekend. Just havent found the time to do it yet.

v1.3 has been released

Here are binaries for Windows 64-bit and MacOS arm64 and x64

https://github.com/Pedro-Beirao/dsda-launcher/releases/tag/v1.3

Some of the new features:

- Endoom support

- "PrBoom+ Launcher"-like dialog to help playing back demos without a footer

- .zip support for -file

- Toggle to remember selected parameters

It is recommended that you use dsda-doom v0.26 or later with this release

• 2 weeks later...

I think whenever the file name has a "-" in it, it will not load properly. This demo is from "pg-max.wad", and there's another demo to break is "h2h-xmas.wad", so we do think it's the "-" problem, so please check whether you can fix this problem.

pg01m-00267.zip

9 hours ago, GarrettChan said:

I think whenever the file name has a "-" in it, it will not load properly. This demo is from "pg-max.wad", and there's another demo to break is "h2h-xmas.wad", so we do think it's the "-" problem, so please check whether you can fix this problem.

pg01m-00267.zip

This demo references the file "pg-raw.wad" on the footer, not "pg-max.wad"

footer:

-iwad "doom2.wad" -file "pg-raw.wad" -complevel 2

This demo references the file "pg-raw.wad" on the footer, not "pg-max.wad"

It's a mistake because I ran Max with 4shock yesterday, but the point still stands... I'm just thinking maybe the logic of reading the footer is using "-" to find the important information, so hopefully this could be fixed in the future.

@GarrettChan What do you mean by "it will not load properly" ?

Everything seems fine on my machine.

Although dsda-doom warns "LoadExDemo: demo footer is corrupted"

@GarrettChan What do you mean by "it will not load properly" ?

If I double click the demo to load with the launcher, it doesn't automatically find the corresponding WAD, and I have to manually find the WAD and pick the complevel.

Just now, GarrettChan said:

If I double click the demo to load with the launcher, it doesn't automatically find the corresponding WAD, and I have to manually find the WAD and pick the complevel.

Picking the complevel is not necessary, since dsda-doom finds it itself.

If I have the pg-raw.wad, the launcher seems to be detecting that wad correctly. But again, the footer is not referencing pg-max.wad

The launcher tries to find -iwad, -file, etc on the footer, not "-", so having a"-" in the filename should not be a problem

27 minutes ago, PBeGood4 said:

But again, the footer is not referencing pg-max.wad

God... I told you that was my mistake but I just didn't edit the post :^)

It's always "pg-raw.wad" all along. Maybe you haven't pushed the update or something, I don't know. It's just those 2 WADs with the "-" having this problem, not others.

13 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

It's always "pg-raw.wad" all along. Maybe you haven't pushed the update or something, I don't know. It's just those 2 WADs with the "-" having this problem, not others.

It seems to be working fine on macOS, but not Windows.

I'll try to fix this.

Thanks for the report!