So Long Vertical Mouselook

Recently I decided to play scythe without full mouselook on, I can definitely say that I have seen the light, well, in my opinion at least. So I guess this is the end of my old mouselook ways, I actually find horizontal mouselook more charming now, it also makes older wads feel better for me.

Lol.

I like horizontal mouse look only because I started playing Doom keyboard only (well SNES Doom, but I also had no mouse at first so when I did play Doom I played keyboard only till after Plutonia), and vertical mouse look on keyboard sounds like a nightmare. Also aiming is hard and adding a 2nd dimension to the space I gotta aim at sounds hard, and at this point would feel like a completely different game if I had to do that.

Congratulations on your preference change, personally I could never switch mouse look always on off, I've been playing fps games with modern mouse look for a long ass time, but kudos to you.

The preferences are there for sure. I like to use freelook (horizontal-vertical mouselook) anyday but, I don't mind using horizontal mouselook after all. Also, it's a good thing to say that changing to zero vertical mouselook sensitivity allows for no walking if you move the mouse forward or backwards.

I used to play with freelook too, but, as I began to play with vanilla source ports, I slowly began to play without it. Now I play without freelook and with my XBox 360 controller. (Well, now I am a purist, but when I began, I played a couple of GZDoom mods)

15 minutes ago, SLOTH MARINE (CB) said:

I just can't be trusted with free mouselook because my hands likes to go everywhere

Me neither, I got so used to horizontal mouse look, that whenever I turn on vertical mouse look I feel weird.

As of recently, I also turned infinitely tall monsters on, just gotta get that vanilla flare without actually being vanilla.

Maybe the only game where I use freelook is in Heretic, but not with the mouse, with the keyboard and right joystick when playing with the controller

Probably easier for me to have the horizontal only mouse look preference cause like, I have not played a whole lot of computer games in my life let alone ones you look around and such and before playing doom it had been a few years stretch of me not playing a whole lot of games in general (because I am poor and consoles and games cost money). I think like the one other game on computer I played that has free mouse look around that time had been minecraft and technically The Elder Scrolls 2 Daggerfall but not the way I was playing it (had no mouse so look up and down was bound to 2 buttons I didn't press a whole lot)

1 hour ago, BaileyTW said:

I like horizontal mouse look only because I started playing Doom keyboard only (well SNES Doom, but I also had no mouse at first so when I did play Doom I played keyboard only till after Plutonia), and vertical mouse look on keyboard sounds like a nightmare. Also aiming is hard and adding a 2nd dimension to the space I gotta aim at sounds hard, and at this point would feel like a completely different game if I had to do that.

Actually it's pretty comfy if you bind Q to be look down and E to be look up. It's still not fluid, but it's quick to use when you need it.

People don't realise how detrimental mouselook is. If you're a casual player then I recommend mouselook off to make aiming easier. 

10 minutes ago, rzh said:

Actually it's pretty comfy if you bind Q to be look down and E to be look up. It's still not fluid, but it's quick to use when you need it.

Huh, that makes sense. I'll have to remember that when I'm keyboard onlying some game that expects that.

Well akshully, I play with vertical mouselook only. No horizontal aiming.

All yalls are wrong.

I think getting used to the vertical aiming mechanic makes Doom a unique experience.  Plus seeing the sprites from certain angles looks like trash, so that's why I stick to horizontal only.  Totally understand the people on the other side of that though.

Cool, do what's more comfortable to you, I really only use vertical mouse occasionally and only in GZDoom, because I normally use PrBoom or CrispyDoom but if a wad/mod doesn't work there I'll use GZDoom with vertical mouselook on even if I'm playing a map that I'd normally play with it off