Pour one out for Internet Explorer

5 minutes ago, [McD]James said:

This might be problematic for South Korea, as it's required by law to use Internet Explorer for all financial transactions. 

It probably will be in the short term, but honestly it's been a long time coming and the people who maintain the myriads of financial, government, university, medical etc. websites that haven't been upgraded in 20 years and insist that IE is the only way to use them must have known that this day would come eventually.  It's gonna be a hell of thing getting them up to speed (lol get it because Internet Explorer) in some cases but...like it's been pretty clearly inevitable for years now

1 hour ago, forgettablepyromaniac said:

Bro their financial statements must be so damn slow how do you use internet explorer for BUSINESS ._.

I suppose they might have the same issue as government sites do in our country - they have made a bunch of software that works only with ActiveX and haven't bothered trying to switch frameworks. In example, government sites in our country use ActiveX plugins and software aimed at it to do digital signatures. I wonder how long it will take for them to move to something else, probably forever, as some of the sites still use IE8 to work.

3 hours ago, [McD]James said:

https://www.wired.com/story/internet-explorer-browser-dead/

This might be problematic for South Korea, as it's required by law to use Internet Explorer for all financial transactions. 

You wouldn't believe how many intranet sites in many businesses still need the IE in order to work, or work properly. I have even seen configurations, where the IE was configured to run in combatibility mode, because many intranet sites there were developed for the IE 8, and never got any needed overhaul.

Sounds like the "death" of Internet Explorer 6 story from the 2010s all over again. Truth is, that old beast is still alive in intranets (LOTS of internal corporate apps were developed for it) and you occasionally find even the odd "Wide Open Internet" website that only renders correctly in it. And yeah, using 6 essentially means sticking with Windows XP...which said intranet/corporate users will also happily do. I didn't know about Korea's compulsory (?) use of IE (probably referring to IE6), but it's possible.

Now, the following revisions (7 and 8) just never gained enough weight/user base to become standards of their own, their only saving "grace" was basically just their technical compatibility with IE6's quirks.

1 hour ago, cybdmn said:

You wouldn't believe how many intranet sites in many businesses still need the IE in order to work, or work properly. I have even seen configurations, where the IE was configured to run in combatibility mode, because many intranet sites there were developed for the IE 8, and never got any needed overhaul.

Well, that is the Difference :)

As long as it is internal, it really doesn't matter if you use the newest Browsers and Operation Systems or DOS based Program.

Many ATMs still use Windows XP or older.

In fast food Restaurants they use DOS for the Display of the Menus they have to preparate.

External use of old Software in Internet is dangerous :>

Edge apparently has some kind of IE compatibility mode.

As for IE itself, in honour of the number of times it screwed up websites I was trying to design, I won't be pouring one out.

Edited by Murdoch

5 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

I thought Edge basically WAS Internet Explorer with a shiny new coat of paint. Y'know, bit of re-branding and such.

The newest one is based on chrom(ium).

So new paint for that haha

Yeah the newest one is Chromium but the original version had it's own rendering engine.

The Intranet in the store I used to work as a side job used Internet Explorer 6 to work properly. I got into trouble for messing with the shortcuts by linking them to the Chrome .exe. I swear they didn't realize it until the moment the Intranet started to behave weirdly for some reason.

Edited by Sunnyfruit

14 minutes ago, princetontiger said:

Doomworld will be all that is left from the 90s!

Nah, the 1996 Space Jam website is still online.

11 minutes ago, princetontiger said:

Doomworld will be all that is left from the 90s!

Haha i think there will be ever something left from the Past.

People love those Stuff, there is something about it to mess around witch old Tech and old Software.

1 hour ago, Sunnyfruit said:

The Intranet in the store I used to work as a side job used Internet Explorer 6 to work properly. I got into trouble for messing with the shortcuts by linking them to the Chrome .exe. I swear they didn't realize it until the moment the Intranet started to behave weirdly for some reason.

There is also another Problem with modern Browser wanting to keep out Websites without HTTPS.

Internal Sites of our Company just to archive some Documents have "no" HTTPS and Chrome shows up Warnings, the Browser just doesn't know that it is internal and that there is no need for Protection (since there are other Protections).

I have in Mind that there is the Intention to stop the Support for non HTTPS Sites at all.

So that will be a Problem too.

1 hour ago, Azuris said:

Haha i think there will be ever something left from the Past.

People love those Stuff, there is something about it to mess around witch old Tech and old Software.

There is also another Problem with modern Browser wanting to keep out Websites without HTTPS.

Internal Sites of our Company just to archive some Documents have "no" HTTPS and Chrome shows up Warnings, the Browser just doesn't know that it is internal and that there is no need for Protection (since there are other Protections).

I have in Mind that there is the Intention to stop the Support for non HTTPS Sites at all.

So that will be a Problem too.

The warnings for HTTP aren’t as intrusive as misconfigured HTTPS I thought, but regardless these kinds of exceptions should have workarounds IT could implement (or an IT team could issue internal certificates and make their intranet secure). It’s a good thing that browsers are pushing for HTTPS everywhere, though, same with getting rid of IE6; companies cheaping out on IT for their internal workflows shouldn’t define the user experience and security of the future

Edited by insertwackynamehere