Archvile appreciation post

He needs to eat something.

Edited by Dubbag

Just now, FEDEX said:

Hey! Don't forget pinkys does have a nice ass too lol :D

This is the Archvile appreciation thread. No pinkies here

The Archvile is quite possibly my favorite monster from the entire Doom series. The thing poses quite a threat where it can turn you into a nice fireworks display and resurrect fallen demons undoing all your work. And it has such a neat creature design as well. Reminds me of Pumpkinhead, actually. 

Just now, PSXDoomer said:

The Archvile is quite possibly my favorite monster from the entire Doom series. The thing poses quite a threat where it can turn you into a nice fireworks display and resurrect fallen demons undoing all your work. And it has such a neat creature design as well. Reminds me of Pumpkinhead, actually. 

Aaaaand you can add some pillars and play hide n' seek with him! 

It's the legitimately scary monster, not by how it behaves but how it looks and sounds like. 

5 minutes ago, PSXDoomer said:

And it has such a neat creature design as well. Reminds me of Pumpkinhead, actually. 

i've actually heard its design was inspired by pumpkinhead

One of my favorite demons & quite unique too. Never hated them & I always thought they make the battles more interesting but I understand why some folks detest it but let me tell you. Medic Commanders from Quake II Ground Zero are way worse. We don't talk about those. lol

11 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Arch Vile “appreciation”, huh? Yeah, I “appreciate” the hell out of them with my SSG...

I like to show them my appreciation by giving them a good old fashioned buckshot shampoo.

I find myself not making a map or encounter without having at least one Archvile in it. The way they can spice up and change the flow of many encounters is just perfect. And they're pretty reliable enemies, their flame attack can be avoided consistently and the damage is almost always the same (and you can negate most of it if you know your Doom meta). They won't attack if you're far enough away, so they can be used as boundary control, guarding half of an arena until you can get rid of them. They are so unique, and so much fun to fight.

Fighting off hordes of them with the BFG is also really fun.

Bloodbath MAP04

Capture.PNG

Detrimental MAP01

asdf.PNG

Edited by Dunn (& Dunn)

I like the arch vile for the gameplay reasons (speed, boundary control, high hit-points, revive fallen monsters etc) and also for the fact that in my environmental storytelling understanding of Doom, the arch vile would be a priest.

Archie crumples up into a satisfying bloody heap on the floor as he squeals in pain after tasting the double-barreled blast of justice delivered from my Super Shotgun. I don't really panic like I used to when he shows up, but he's always a priority target destined to turn the heat up, figuratively and literally, in the midst of intense combat scenarios. I love the Skinny Pyromaniac, honestly. Especially when he's dead. >:^)

Edited by Biodegradable

I like the idea of a custom monster version of an arch vile, with some kind of deadly melee attack.

One of the many stand-out things about the vile is how fast it is.

Imagine if it was that faster, or faster, and did not stop to flame you, but just ran constantly to get close enough to lay its hand on you so it could suck your life force. 

Edited by Steveb1000

1 hour ago, Steveb1000 said:

Imagine if it was that faster, or faster, and did not stop to flame you, but just ran constantly to get close enough to lay its hand on you so it could suck your life force. 

That reminds me of the salt vampire in Star Trek. :D

I don't like the looks of the archvile...something like an evil wraith would be great...a robed demon-sorcerer...The mechanics are very interesting. I tried to use the archvile's raise-dead-demon action with hell knights & barons, but the archvile's sprite got mixed up in the knight's normal frames...Why not a Doom3 hell baron's looks with a different colour...gray...black?