Why Was The Combat Shotgun Absent?

A Nobody

I think the Combat Shotgun got omitted from basic Doom 3 because the regular Shotgun was already powerful enough, about as powerful as the rocket blast, just like the SSG in Doom 2. It appeared anyway in RoE, as a higher firepower, more sensibly accurate gun (yeah, contrary to expectations, it's more accurate than the basic SG!). Still, I'm undecided whether that is a good weapon. Sure, it's more likely you score a good hit with it at non-melee range, but if you miss, you're already in trouble, due to the huge reload time. It sucks against monsters such as the Vulgar, who are especially good at keeping a small footprint.

It's an amalgamation of the pump and double barreled shotguns. Largely former, but inherits damage and spread from the latter. That said a spread of 22 is way, way too much, on par with former human accuracy in the original games! Meanwhile ZSec shotgunners have a ridiculously tight spread of 5 which explains why they are as lethal as the OG shotgun guys. I thought making player spread the same to balance things out but then you got a super shotgun that also doubles as a sniper rifle and nullifies the purpose of the machine gun. I was thinking making the spread 11 would still keep things in check with the intended balance, which would be on par with the original SSG radius funnily enough.

Because it would be redundant. They have the pump-action shotty fill the "kiss range enemy eraser" spot, while the "mid-range workhorse" spot is taken by the assault rifle.