What Keyboard Do You Use? Post Your Keyboards!

One I made myself.

I've always played FPSes with the arrow keys for movement, starting from Doom/Quake and moving forward. Keyboards from that time were "101" key layouts, with no extra keys between ctrl/alt or anywhere on the bottom row. I've used that same style keyboard layout for forever, and I'm too stubborn to change now - no WASD for me. I've always used my pinky to reach keys for weapon switching, like the rightmost alt/ctrl/shift/enter/forwardslash/backslash keys, for example. Since I still play some FPSes, the layout was non-negotiable. I don't want to have to deal with pressing the Windows or print key.

When I was looking to upgrade to a modern mechanical keyboard a few years back (and PS/2 -> USB), I found that there were no "simple" keyboards that fit my needs - 101 key layout (ESPECIALLY no keys between ctrl/alt), no lights/displays, the proper physical key spacings, and so forth.

I researched everything for a few weeks, then I ordered all the parts and then built it over a few nights. I only wish I had found a MUCH heavier key - even the Cherry MX blacks (advertised as one of their heaviest keys) are too light compared to the old keyboard. It wasn't a model M, but was in the same class. If I find a heavier switch, I'll just have to de-solder the setup and install the new ones.

I still use the old early-90s-era PS/2 101 keyboard occasionally, but aging plastic and other components means that anything over real light use could damage some internal key supports again, and I've opened up that keyboard for repair jobs enough times to just not want to deal with that anymore.

IMG_6790e .jpg

WIN_20210608_23_25_13_Pro.jpg.fe99fae7c5df5bfb9a3acf66d53fa0fe.jpg

Well, i have this broken thing that cannot even be named as a keyboard.

Also forgive me for the low quality image, i don't have a phone so i used my webcam.

Saitek Eclipse II.

1.jpg

I've been using it for quite a long time; the arrow key caps are showing signs of wear, probably from playing a lot of Doom/Doom II (my older brother believes that may be the case!), and one of the hinges under the keyboard broke a bit. But it's still working great!

o7r1eo.jpg

Das Keyboard with Cherry MX Blue switches and custom caps (grey/purple/green - lighting is a bit weird since I was in my kitchen).

Next time I get caps, I am totally making it look like the Space Cadet keyboard, though. Wish someone would make a modern one that uses USB :(

Did someone say keyboards?! I've got three of them myself. I got into mech keebs back in 2019.

yTr2PgL.jpg

From left to right: Royal Kludge G87 with imitation Cherry MX brown switches (Tenkeyless), Akko 3068 with Cherry MX Blue switches (Compact/68%) and the workhorse of the trio, Leopold FC750R with Cherry MX Blue switches (Tenkeyless). Both my Leo and Akko are currently sporting different sets of keycaps for the time being:

dHaOzJL.jpg

15 hours ago, Jello said:

I've just used the factory keyboards my entire life, and Dell actually makes some pretty sturdy factory keyboards. I was using my last one for almost seven years. However I had noticed some of the keys feeling soft, not responding, and plenty of the markings were wearing off. Particularly around my WASD keys, E was gone, F was gone. It still worked okay, just because you can't see the marking on the key doesn't mean you don't know what it is.

But due to a noticeable softness and unresponsiveness in some of the keys, I decided to buy a new keyboard. Since I don't plan on getting a new PC any time soon.

So I ended up going with an ONN "Gaming Keyboard" that I got at the local Walmart back in March. I've never owned a mechanical keyboard before, the last time I've used a "mechanical keyboard" was on an actual typewriter. I used to think it was fun typing out the words and definitions for my spelling quizzes in first grade, before we had a useable computer. I like it though, apparently the keys are supposed to last for fifty million keystrokes, which according to Digitalcitizen comes out to around 97 years. 

e665f4f3-7eae-4b8b-96d2-0385883417c0.fc7

And for $45, I can't complain at all. It seems like a strong, sturdy keyboard that's going to last me for a long time. My only real issue is the backlighting, which I fucking hate with a passion. Luckily it does come with software that allows you to change the colors and intensity; the major downside is I've never found a way to completely turn the lights off without selecting each individual key and setting the lighting to off. So it's doable, just irritating if you don't want light. But you can also set a number of lighting options for each key, if that's your thing.

The only other thing that took some time getting used to is the noise. But over the last few months either I've gotten used to it, or the keys have loosened up a bit and they don't clack quite as loudly as they did at first. But regardless, I think if I ever need to buy a new keyboard for some reason, it'll be a mechanical. Hopefully one without all the damn lights. And the software it comes with has a ton of different options for customizing it for different tasks or games with multiple profiles, and creating keyboard shortcuts for different tasks. I'll probably never use them, I've gotten along for almost thirty years with my keyboard just being a keyboard. But if you're looking for something like that, it's pretty decent. And for $45, I think it was worth the money.

If only I could find a way to disable the backlighting on my MSI 1660 Super. I really don't need my GPU oscillating various rainbow colors constantly while my computer is on. But I have found no software method for disabling them, and I'm not going to pull the LED's off the card.

I have the same keyboard. In the ONN software, instead of selecting individual keys, drag a box around all the ones you want to change/turn off. Great keyboard for the price but I hate the rattling spacebar. 

13 hours ago, leejacksonaudio said:

I use one of the old original Microsoft Natural Keyboards. The closest thing to it I could find is the picture of the current model on Amazon. I don't have the top row of buttons, and my keys are laid out a tad bit differently.

71V3DbiEJfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Most probably you got this one then:

Microsoft-Ergonomic-Natural-Keyboard-Eli

Mine is a mechanical Cherry G80-1000 with very nice haptic feedback. It is ultra-robust, ultra-reliable, never failed me. Easy to open for cleaning, every single key is detachable. Also, can be used as a weapon to fend of trespassers. :) I need to get rid of all the dead bodies sometimes. ;)

okm4FcQ.jpg

My mouse is a Logitec G9 laser mouse. Came with two different grips, weight management, variable laser polling rate, and a profile system. They never built anything like that ever after.

71-VEw5EoSS._AC_SX679_.jpg

4b5d15ab121a3de7896055f5d17f1423.jpg

Edited by deus-ex

1 hour ago, deus-ex said:

Most probably you got this one then:

No, that's not it. My layout is closer to the picture I posted, especially when it comes to the arrow keys and the home/end/page up/etc. keys.

27 minutes ago, leejacksonaudio said:

No, that's not it. My layout is closer to the picture I posted, especially when it comes to the arrow keys and the home/end/page up/etc. keys.

How about this one?

EuCT_c7XAAQng6V.png?format=png&name=orig

My keyboard (which I'm not going to show) proves that I can design huge, non-linear levels without confusing the player - I'm all about leaving those breadcrumbs!

(I'll show myself out...)

Edited by Caco Bell

10 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

I have the same keyboard. In the ONN software, instead of selecting individual keys, drag a box around all the ones you want to change/turn off. Great keyboard for the price but I hate the rattling spacebar. 

I knew that. What makes you think I didn't know that? Of course I knew that, I'm not a complete idiot you know!

And now I'm off to feel like a complete fucking idiot. Thank you Magic Mushroom Man, you just made my life so much more bearable. Well, I mean it's not a life changing revelation, I can stand the lights if they're turned all the way down. But it's still irritating. Thank you again.

And yeah, for the price it's pretty decent. How long have you had yours? I haven't really noticed any specific rattling in my spacebar, although to be fair this is my first mechanical keyboard, so maybe I'm just not sure what they should sound like. It does feel slightly looser than the other keys, due it it being the longest key on the board, but I haven't really noticed a specific 'rattle'. We'll see.

But thanks again for pointing that fix out. I just didn't think that you could drag over the entire keyboard and change all light functions like that. I even researched online, and read and reread the manual, never saw that suggestion anywhere.

Edited by Jello

s-l1600.jpg (not mine)

I've had the Microsoft Internet Keyboard for 21 years and honestly, it's all I need in a keyboard. Just need to pop out the keys and give it its yearly (and overdue) cleanup.

Mouse is a Logitech G500 that I've used for close to 10 years. It's fine for my uses save for a glaring flaw: the microswitches flip out and release when I hold down, so I can't drag and drop files or highlight text or go full-auto. I've had to open up the housing and mess with the fiddly bits quite a few times. It's been several months since I last did that, but I'm afraid even mentioning it might jinx the mouse so... shit. Bells and whistles are nice and all, but what good is a mouse that can't even click correctly?

Mousepad is some cloth pad I got a few years after the keyboard, and I'm thinking of replacing it. A bit of the rubber part is breaking down and leaving a mess, and I find that my pinky likes to rest on the pad surface and rub up against it. Whatever replacement I find needs to have a low friction surface.

IBM Model M (1991). Inmortal, precise and noisy. Love it.20210610_094011.jpg.224e32b386e1ff7a8a3c4d3c1d97bd84.jpg

(I know, needs cleaning)