How To Add Custom Resources in Boom Format?

Thorogrimm

Question

I've been looking at how to add custom objects and decorations to my wad which is being made in Boom format but I realised that just dragging and dropping stuff doesn't simply work, likely because of 'decorate' which is ZDoom compatible? How do I get it to work alternatively?

6 answers to this question

Well, the problem with DOOM and BOOM is that you cannot add new actors.

But, you can replace existing and unused actors with same named lumps, sprites, sounds, strings, etc.. For monsters and weapons that means replacing every sprite for the rotations. The behaviour of the new actors can be altered, to some extend, with Whacked.

Whereas with GZDoom you can add new actors to your hearts content with DECORATE or ZSCRIPT. See the repository at REALM667.

TeamTNT made a resource pack just for BOOM, called RETRES.wad, which changes some actors. Also, have a look at Eviternity.wad where the authors went to great lengths to make the map compatible with most every sourceport. 

Edited by Kappes Buur

If you’re talking about custom monsters, you must learn how to do Dehacked. If you just want to replace the green column object in DOOM2 with a custom corpse sprite, for example, then you just do a simple texture replacement by dropping in your corpse sprite and changing the name of the lump to be the same as the green column object

On 7/17/2021 at 12:13 AM, Kappes Buur said:

Well, the problem with DOOM and BOOM is that you cannot add new actors.

But, you can replace existing and unused actors with same named lumps, sprites, sounds, strings, etc.. For monsters and weapons that means replacing every sprite for the rotations. The behaviour of the new actors can be altered, to some extend, with Whacked.

Whereas with GZDoom you can add new actors to your hearts content with DECORATE or ZSCRIPT. See the repository at REALM667.

TeamTNT made a resource pack just for BOOM, called RETRES.wad, which changes some actors. Also, have a look at Eviternity.wad where the authors went to great lengths to make the map compatible with most every sourceport. 

Is it possible to convert Decorate to Dehacked?

29 minutes ago, Thorogrimm said:

Is it possible to convert Decorate to Dehacked?

Nope, these are completely different methods of making custom actors, with as far as I know nothing in common.

Basically, there's no easy way, you have to learn how to do it if you really want to. Doomkid has a pretty good tutorial on it up on YouTube.