what the fresh hell is this?

msx2plus

Question

so this is a new one on me - at  some point, i don't know when, but this block of ground stopped rendering and it's just sky / whatever exists underneath the ground nearby now. it's not a full sector, just a small chunk - the sector exists, the sectors around it exist, and i can't seem to find any way to debug this strange missing shape.

only happens with hardware rendering, it's filled in software.

Screenshot_Doom_20210815_234657.png

Clipboard01.png

Edited by msx2plus

8 answers to this question

This has happened to me in UDMF maps when I have a lot of vertexes that are off grid.  Whenever it has happened to me I usually set the grid to 1 pt and select all the vertices in the area and use the snap to grid command.

whatever this fixed itself somehow lmao, i had some fake "missing texture" ladder stairs in the sector and removing them and re-adding them seems to have fixed it. what a mystery!!!!

1 minute ago, VanaheimRanger said:

This has happened to me in UDMF maps when I have a lot of vertexes that are off grid.

oh shit that makes enough sense yeah - i had been rotating a few of my prefabs weirdly and must have done some weirdo micro-rotating along the way. i'll keep it in mind, thanks for the tip!

Just now, msx2plus said:

oh shit that makes enough sense yeah - i had been rotating a few of my prefabs weirdly and must have done some weirdo micro-rotating along the way. i'll keep it in mind, thanks for the tip!

Yep that's exactly what happened to me, lol.  I built a curvy organic cave area, then moved it somewhere else, then this started happening.

usually when this happens to me, it's enough for me to just move one of the surrounding vertices or two, then rebuild the nodes. think that's always done the trick!

As others stated this is most likely related to off-grid vertices. I'll add to the points of others by saying there's a very helpful tool in UDB: Map Analysis Mode. In there you'll find a lot of check boxes with various important things to check the map for that can cause issues in various formats. Among them is the "Check off-grid vertices". This would automate your process of checking for those as it handles all vertices in the map. It's a good idea to run this once before releasing the map. The mode is under "Mode" tab on the top panel. Shortcut by default seems to be F4.

Edited by IvanDobrovski

What tango said. Rebuilding your nodes is a tried and true method of fixing weird rendering bugs. Usually fixes my problems, at least, and I also primarily map in UDMF (well, I did, before I became addicted to abusing vanilla).

8 hours ago, IvanDobrovski said:

As others stated this is most likely related to off-grid vertices. I'll add to the points of others by saying there's a very helpful tool in UDB: Map Analysis Mode. In there you'll find a lot of check boxes with various important things to check the map for that can cause issues in various formats. Among them is the "Check off-grid vertices". This would automate your process of checking for those as it handles all vertices in the map. It's a good idea to run this once before releasing the map. The mode is under "Mode" tab on the top panel. Shortcut by default seems to be F4.

this is great to know! auto-aligning all the off-grid ones breaks a few pieces of the map (using closely layered lines for visual effects) but in most cases it seems like a good call. i'm certain it would be a more pressing issue outside of UDMF, naturally