Sprinkled Doom - 3.4.1 (updated June 12th 2022)

Gibbon

On 9/25/2021 at 10:32 PM, davocular said:

Someone should make a Chocolate Doom32 and call it Chocolate Doom Plus Plus Plus.

Lets make it a whole formula: Chocolate Doom Divide Times Plus Minus.

Or what if we can get formula's that would make an equation that runs Doom. Essentially that would be procedural code generation as seen in the Demoscene.

I'd love to see how such a take on Doom would be though. A mathematically computed version of Doom would be incredibly small since it generates everything at near run time.

Doing it from Choco is a good idea, if anyone does do it.  I love how it is very inoffensive with the code.  Very generic and it is great to borrow bits off of it.

I guess if anyone did do it, they'd have to call it MineDoom :)

53 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

Doing it from Choco is a good idea, if anyone does do it.  I love how it is very inoffensive with the code.  Very generic and it is great to borrow bits off of it.

I guess if anyone did do it, they'd have to call it MineDoom :)

It would in a way be possible since there is the source code.

But you would need to write a lot of procedural code that tell the computer things instead of assets that already exist.

So:

• ''This is a texture with the following colours, the following height, the following width. It carries this particular name and it is included in a WAD file, so look up the part that concerns the loading of WADS'' quite literally.

And then do this for everything. So instead of placing a WAD, it would have to define at runtime what a WAD file is and that it should look for Doom2.WAD because procedural generation of WADs is something else than automatic generation of WADS as seen in Oblige.

Doom would be rather small, in fact Descent has had a similar looking scene in this DOS demo that is 4 kilobytes.

Pretty impressive.  It definitely would be smaller, maybe on the order of MB not KB but yeah, you'd have to find the right person to do it.  That is a lot of complex math and sledgehammering this into the Doom engine would be a ginormous undertaking.  Maybe one day someone would.

Double post, but an update.

I today used the AXDOOMER's version of Chocolate Doom Plus and tried out Equinox.  Equinox failed for the same reasons at the same points, so I consider this 'on par' with that version.  Not sure what the issue is here since it was stated the goal is to be a modern version of that port.  Crispy handles it better as it removes completely all visplanes, whereas this one simply ups them.

Also (and I don't mean to reference myself) but if you want a 'retro' source port that plays Equinox, then ReBOOM Experimental also handles it perfectly fine.  Crispy or that are your best bets at Equinox fun.

EDIT:

Sprinkled Doom 3.1.0 Released!

Win64 Binary: https://github.com/atsb/chocolate-doom-plus-plus/releases/tag/3.1.0

Changes:

1. SIGIL support (-sigil flag)
  2. Fixed SIGIL Spider Mastermind / Cyberdemon ending the game early if killed
  3. Removed the auto add save game name and reverted to Chocolate Doom 2.x style of adding the name yourself

One change I neglected to mention.  I removed all GUS, Fluidsynth and native midi code as I can't support these if there are bugs.  I really am not interested in sound code at all and so I left OPL in for music and SDL for sound effects.  Still sounds better than my DOS computer in 1994.  Since there was reports that it was broken (likely dependencies) and on Windows I don't use them, so it had to go.

Edited by Gibbon
adding new release

Oh cool, I didn't know we had a thread for this. Yeah, this is definitely a much-needed port for testing Doom32-compatible WADs. Any plans to add support for No Rest for the Living, since you've already implemented Sigil support?

4 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

Oh cool, I didn't know we had a thread for this. Yeah, this is definitely a much-needed port for testing Doom32-compatible WADs. Any plans to add support for No Rest for the Living, since you've already implemented Sigil support?

What support is there for that?  I have only played it a little but it is an average PWAD right?  It worked with the -file nerve.wad.  Or you mean to auto find it and run?

Edited by Gibbon

It has map order shenanigans, but DSDA has had a patch for a while that moves the maps so that the secret exit is on map15, so that version should be fine with this.

2 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

What support is there for that?  I have only played it a little but it is an average PWAD right?  It worked with the -file nerve.wad.  Or you mean to auto find it and run?

Well I mean like having the game properly end after completing Level 8 (NR4TL's final level), allowing a secret exit on Level 4, par times, automap names, music order, stuff like that (see xttl's thread of the original EXE hack).

Also I'm testing the port's Sigil compatibility, and it doesn't seem to be working properly. The title graphic and music play fine, but once the demos begin it plays the wrong MIDIs and also you can't pick Sigil in the episode menu (IDCLEV doesn't work either in that regard).

15 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

Well I mean like having the game properly end after completing Level 8 (NR4TL's final level), allowing a secret exit on Level 4, par times, automap names, music order, stuff like that (see xttl's thread of the original EXE hack).

Also I'm testing the port's Sigil compatibility, and it doesn't seem to be working properly. The title graphic and music play fine, but once the demos begin it plays the wrong MIDIs and also you can't pick Sigil in the episode menu (IDCLEV doesn't work either in that regard).

I see, I doubt I will add that, it is just feature creep and is not in scope for this.

The Sigil support was limited to the E3M8 issue, since Doom Plus limits allowed Sigil to work, I got a report about that bug.  It was easy enough to fix so I did it, but the support goes as far as being able to play it and ending it correctly.

I got the Sigil option in the menu, when using the compat version.

Edited by Gibbon

1 minute ago, Gibbon said:

I see, I doubt I will add that, it is just feature creep and is not in scope for this.

The Sigil support was limited to the E3M8 issue, since Doom Plus limits allowed Sigil to work, I got a report about that bug.  It was easy enough to fix so I did it, but the support goes as far as being able to play it and ending it correctly.

I got the Sigil option in the menu, when using the compat version.

Ohh, so it's only compatible with SIGIL_COMPAT. I'd say perhaps taking a look into RUDE and seeing their implementation since that's able to support the E5 version.

Just now, OpenRift said:

Ohh, so it's only compatible with SIGIL_COMPAT. I'd say perhaps taking a look into RUDE and seeing their implementation since that's able to support the E5 version.

Sigil Compat is designed for all non ZDoom source ports, the main Sigil WAD is only for ZDoom and its derivatives.  When using COMPAT, you will find it works pretty nicely :)

Just now, Gibbon said:

Sigil Compat is designed for all non ZDoom source ports, the main Sigil WAD is only for ZDoom and its derivatives.  When using COMPAT, you will find it works pretty nicely :)

Actually, the main Sigil WAD is still a limit-removing WAD, it just occupies the Episode 5 slot. So pretty much any limit-removing source port with E5 support will run it (see Crispy Doom and RUDE), also there's xttl's SIGEXE which brings Sigil to DOS. I dunno, I think it would be cool to have this fork of Chocolate Doom not only emulate Doom-plus/Doom32, but also other cool EXE hacks as well like the ones I mentioned.

47 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

the main Sigil WAD is only for ZDoom and its derivatives.

Technically it's for any port that understands at least one of the *MAPINFO lumps it contains and that explain the episode is in the E5Mx slots.

Indeed, but there is a reason there is a compat version ;)

I'll take a look but really I don't see any issue with not having a 5th episode, it isn't a big deal.  Obviously Choco doesn't understand those lumps. The aim here is to stay on relative parity with mainline Choco. But yeah, I'll see if adding that is a small thing or not.

Edit: So I added the required things (and also sounds for 4th episode from crispy).  I removed my SIGIL flag as it wasn't needed anymore and I'm giving it a good test.  Likely it will be in the next version, no ETA though.  There are some things I have to smooth over first, it isn't just a copy/paste job.

Edited by Gibbon

2 hours ago, Gibbon said:

There are some things I have to smooth over first, it isn't just a copy/paste job.

Well obviously. That's why I'm not a programmer ;)

On 9/9/2021 at 10:46 AM, Lol 6 said:

Sorry for the absolutely stupid questions I'm gonna make, but, does it have DeHackEd support? And, do I need to use the same console commands I usually use for chocolate-doom?

Hide contents

Yes, right?

But, can it run Doom?

Edited by Paf

• 1 month later...

Ahhh, Sprinkled Doom.  So only a few updates

1. Merged latest fix from Chocolate Doom master

I decided against the non-compat SIGIL support.  It would be a pain to do and isn't what this source port is for.  SIGIL Compat with the -sigil flag is fine.

I will also be providing 32bit versions for the first time (first time I've touched a 32bit compiler since 2008!).  Just so it's accessible to those with truly shitty computers :)

EDIT: done

Confirmed also in task manager that it is running in 32bit mode.  This isn't a new version, just the latest git with a fix from Choco.  I have a few things in a private branch on my gitlab that I'm working on for it.

Edited by Gibbon

On 9/19/2021 at 4:14 PM, P41R47 said:

any chance for win32 version?
I went to download it and then i realise i can't run it :/

Win32 dev build of the latest commit (Nov 10 2021):

sprinkled-20211110-w32.zip (Mediafire)

sprinkled-20211110-w32.zip (Google Drive)

Built with console output support. The 16 required DLLs are included.

Edited by Never_Again
updated commit date

@Never_Again - could you also do another 32bit build of the latest commit from today? :) it contains a fix that @rzh mentioned.

PS. thanks for these builds, it really helps those without 64bit systems.

On 9/19/2021 at 3:14 PM, P41R47 said:

any chance for win32 version?
I went to download it and then i realise i can't run it :/

I know it's a relatively old post, but now there's a win32 build ;)

On 9/30/2021 at 6:02 AM, Gibbon said:

One change I neglected to mention.  I removed all GUS, Fluidsynth and native midi code as I can't support these if there are bugs.  I really am not interested in sound code at all and so I left OPL in for music and SDL for sound effects.  Still sounds better than my DOS computer in 1994.  Since there was reports that it was broken (likely dependencies) and on Windows I don't use them, so it had to go.

I was just about to ask about this and decided to read through everything first to see if there was a reason it was removed. Even though the lack of native MIDI is a deal breaker, I plan to check back every now and then in case you ever decide to reintroduce it. Other than that this is a solid port, but it makes my Sound Canvas very sad.

Sorry that I removed them, but I don't use any sound mods, supporting them would also mean having to maintain those dependencies and Fluidsynth on Windows is a real s*** show to get working.  

I am not a sound person at all, I don't even know what a sound canvas is :)

• 2 weeks later...

So some news:

I've seen the latest commits from Choco and to be honest, I'm not a fan.  The fact I removed most of this in Sprinkled has left me with a problem, to either cherry pick and manually apply commits or to break away from upstream.  So I've chosen to stop pulling commits from Chocolate Doom as of now.

Sprinkled will still be both Choco and Vanilla compatible, that will never change, but I will focus on fixing bugs and getting it to a really vanilla state (Doom never had some of the bindings and sound fonts that Choco has).

I will also focus heavily on Hexen fixes as there were some bugs that are fixed that were not fixed in Choco.  Hexen is a way better game than Heretic (IMO) and it never gets a lot of attention.

Edited by Gibbon
typo

1 hour ago, Gibbon said:

I will also focus heavily on Hexen fixes as there were some bugs that are fixed that were not fixed in Choco. 

It would be fair if you could forward these fixes to the Choco issue tracker or (even better) submit PRs.