Nugget Doom 3.1.0 (updated May 16th, '24)

Alaux

8 hours ago, Alaux said:

Moving on, NUGHUD has been extended quite a bit; most importantly, it now supports some custom fonts, and allows to relocate pretty much every single HUD element.

Here are some examples (first one courtesy of @liPillON):

BTW thank you for showcasing this!

Since we're here, let me drop a few links to my other NUGHUD-powered projects:

https://github.com/liPillON/nughud_fullstbar (the stock statusbar for screensizes larger than 7)

https://github.com/liPillON/nughud_modern (a modernized layout for the crispy fullscreen hud)

https://github.com/liPillON/nughud_minimal (the already showcased hud, it supports gzdoom too!)

14 hours ago, Alaux said:

Alright, thanks. Before replacing them, though...

@Deil, if you have a GitHub account, try downloading either of the builds here. Otherwise, try this 32-bit build (I don't know if you use 32 or 64 bit, and there's a limited attachment quota so I can't upload both). Let me know if the FluidSynth issue is solved.

Yep, just tried, runs smooth as a butter, loops perfectly.

Edited by Deil

12 hours ago, Deil said:

Yep, just tried, runs smooth as a butter, loops perfectly.

Alright, thanks!

Everyone: I've replaced the Windows builds of the latest release with static MSVC builds. If you have any issues with FluidSynth, try using those instead.

On 1/9/2023 at 10:49 PM, Oplexitie said:

Ok, I really like this source port, it keeps the vanilla plus feel of Crispy and Woof, while being a lot more customisable. The NUGHUD feature is awesome, it really sets this source port apart from Woof, and I had a lot of fun making my own HUD (as you can see with the screenshoots).

Altough, I did encounter a pretty distracting bug when using Doom4Vanilla...

During the weapon switching animation, for a just a bit you can see the weapon stutter up too far from where its supposed to be. It's very visible when you turn off the HUD, and see the hand cutting off. From what I've tested, this seems to be an issue unique to Nugget, that was introduced after 1.8.0.

nugg0000.png

nugg0001.png

Could I get a download for your HUD? It looks absolutely good.

8 hours ago, wuunds said:

Could I get a download for your HUD? It looks absolutely good.

Thanks ^^ ! And sure thing -> huds.zip

Although quick warning, you'll need to use D4V to use the first hud.

Custom fonts weren't a thing when I made the huds back then.

Hey everyone.

It appears that the existing Debian Package of Nugget 1.14.0 was lacking FluidSynth support. In light of this, the package has been replaced with a fixed version.

Same download link as before; here it is (direct download link).

Edited by Alaux

A small graphical bug:

nugg0000.png

The pistol isn't marked in the hud in the latest stable release of Doom Nugget

Edited by Walter confetti

On 6/8/2023 at 7:13 AM, Walter confetti said:

The pistol isn't marked in the hud in the latest stable release of Doom Nugget

Fixed, thanks for the report!

uuuh I've just seen that 800p and 1600p resolution support has landed on github

too bad the automatic builds are broken 

could that be fixed? woof had the same problem and solved a couple of days ago

4 hours ago, liPillON said:

too bad the automatic builds are broken 

could that be fixed? woof had the same problem and solved a couple of days ago

I already merged the fix used in Woof's repo, but for some reason it's still failing. Either it already broke again, or something's wrong in Nugget's repo. We'll have to see.

8 minutes ago, Alaux said:

Either it already broke again, or something's wrong in Nugget's repo.

It's broken again, now it's a 505 link to gitlab.xiph.org. I think we should wait a bit.

@liPillON I've re-run the failed workflow jobs for the latest commit. They were successful this time around, so automated builds are now available.

3 hours ago, Alaux said:

@liPillON I've re-run the failed workflow jobs for the latest commit. They were successful this time around, so automated builds are now available.

awesome!

quickly tested them on my i7 1260p using eviternity map26 starting area

on battery, framerate is pretty stable at around 65/80fps when rendering @800p and falls at around 30/35 when rendering @1600p

will try later on AC power

5600X and capped fps here, it looks perfect and holds 35fps steady on 4x and 8x in some big Eviternity and Ancient Aliens maps. What a killer feature to have. Can think of several WADs I'd like to revisit now, and perfect time to start Lost Civilization. Mega thanks to everyone who worked on this!!!

18 hours ago, Alaux said:

14 hours ago, liPillON said:

quickly tested them on my i7 1260p using eviternity map26 starting area

on battery, framerate is pretty stable at around 65/70fps when rendering @800p and falls at around 30/35 when rendering @1600p

on AC power results are pretty much the same

I've noticed however that the "renderer resolution" settings does not seem to be initialized at program startup: i've set it to "2" in all my cfg files but when I launch the game, the actual resolution is still 400p

the settings menu report it as 800p, but I need to change it to any value and then set it back to 800p to actually get the desired resolution

6 hours ago, liPillON said:

I've noticed however that the "renderer resolution" settings does not seem to be initialized at program startup: i've set it to "2" in all my cfg files but when I launch the game, the actual resolution is still 400p

the settings menu report it as 800p, but I need to change it to any value and then set it back to 800p to actually get the desired resolution

ignore this issue, my launcher was appending the "-hires" parameter to the command line

this was forcing nugget to use 400p rendering, ignoring what the cfg settings

• 3 weeks later...

In the Extra Gibbing option, is there a way to deactivate the gibbing for the chainsaw and just let the super-shotgun be able to do it? It just feels off for me.

Either way, one of my favorite source-ports, nice job.

6 minutes ago, Karnasis said:

In the Extra Gibbing option, is there a way to deactivate the gibbing for the chainsaw and just let the super-shotgun be able to do it? It just feels off for me.

As of now, there's no way to fine-tune it. It's just a toggle: either no forced gibbing for any weapons, or forced gibbing for the Berserk Fist, Chainsaw and SSG, no inbetweens. Giving a choice for each weapon would require either three separate settings, or to make the current setting have 8 possible values; a bit too many options either way, in my opinion.

10 hours ago, Alaux said:

As of now, there's no way to fine-tune it. It's just a toggle: either no forced gibbing for any weapons, or forced gibbing for the Berserk Fist, Chainsaw and SSG, no inbetweens. Giving a choice for each weapon would require either three separate settings, or to make the current setting have 8 possible values; a bit too many options either way, in my opinion.

Eh, fair. It just feels weird to chainsaw a demon and see him explode, although punching a demon into a bloody explosion is also weirder but commonly acceptable in the Doom Universe TM, and besides, I would not want this source-port to become the options menu hell that GZDoom is.

8 minutes ago, Floowand said:

For some reason the brightmaps option cant be selected

That should be happening because 1) you're playing a WAD that provides brightmaps of its own, 2) Nugget's default brightmaps aren't being loaded (check your autoload folders), or 3) Strict Mode is enabled. Could you check each of those things?

It was the second option, apparently the linux version does not come with the content of the autoload folder, I had to download the windows version and paste the content in the corresponding place.

8 minutes ago, Floowand said:

It was the second option, apparently the linux version does not come with the content of the autoload folder, I had to download the windows version and paste the content in the corresponding place.

By "Linux version" do you mean the Debian Package?

Yeah, that one.
The autoload folder is created on .local/share/nugget-doom but there are not folders or archives (the umaps, bloodcolor.deh,etc)

Edited by Floowand

2 minutes ago, fabian said:

There is a Nugget Doom debian package? Who maintains this? 

As mentioned in the GitHub releases and the release posts here, @Maribo is the one who provides them.

1 minute ago, fabian said:

Ah, I see. Are you aware if the official woof-doom package? 

I wasn't, but to be fair I'm not familiar with Linux and related systems at all.

7 hours ago, Floowand said:

Not sure why this would happen, I'll look into it when I have time. (Sorry if this affected anyone else).

3 hours ago, fabian said:

There is a Nugget Doom debian package? Who maintains this? 

I encountered a couple of people who use Linux but aren't very comfortable building their own software, so I offered to build a package for them. I think Alaux asked if it would be fine to include it with the official releases and I agreed, so I've been building them for a couple of versions now. Admittedly I don't test it as rigorously as I should (as seen here with the autoload folder issue and the previous accidental build without fluidsynth support), which is totally my bad. Sorry for the confusion.

Why won't Nugget Doom simply merge with Woof?, from what I can tell these are pretty minor additions that could just as easily be a part of the Woof project. If there's one thing Doom doesn't need, it's yet another fork. (Not to insult the author, these are nice additions to be sure)

Edited by CaptainMuskrat