Nugget Doom 3.1.0 (updated May 16th, '24)

Alaux

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Alaux said:

if you have Menu Backdrop set to Dark

Yep, that was it, no idea when and why I changed it. Thank you.

And thanks for Eternal Doom, working perfectly now.

Edited by CacoKnight

I don't know if this has been suggested before, but I think it would be cool to have an option to replace the stat labels with icons instead of the usual boring letters. I made this example in Paint 3D using the icons of the unity port.Suggestion.png.44e181a05ca73b64781cbb5277fb652d.png

10 minutes ago, Siglev_ said:

I don't know if this has been suggested before, but I think it would be cool to have an option to replace the stat labels with icons instead of the usual boring letters.

I like the idea. However, we don't have many pixels to work with (the letters are 5x7), and patch scaling is something that I haven't figured out yet. Regardless, I'll try to keep it in mind.

Posted (edited)

Here are some icons I just made, 7px high, you (or anyone) are welcome to use them if you want. I could narrow them down if you want but the Doom small font has variable width letters so I figured it would be OK. They're derived from Doom assets obviously so I don't think they can fall under the GPL; in any case I relinquish any kind of ownership/copyright/etc. from myself.

Don't know what a better secret icon would be besides a question mark, which you can just get from the Doom font.

ElMpClA.png . KEcFTes.png . Cj4dzfM.png

ifG2m04.png

m2j66VM.png  . OBchgk3.png

Edited by plums

12 minutes ago, plums said:

Don't know what a better secret icon would be besides a question mark, which you can just get from the Doom font.

Some kind of rectangle shaped pink border? Maybe shaped like a key or something?

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, CacoKnight said:

Some kind of rectangle shaped pink border? Maybe shaped like a key or something?

I thought anything with a key had the potential to be misleading. And not all colour schemes use pink (or anything) for secret sectors, though it's still probably a good colour for whatever base icon is used. A pink ? might be good enough.

Edited by plums

Posted (edited)
On 3/12/2024 at 10:43 PM, Siglev_ said:

I think it would be cool to have an option to replace the stat labels with icons instead of the usual boring letters.

On 3/15/2024 at 5:46 PM, plums said:

Here are some icons I just made

Done in these commits: 1, 2. Take a look:

Spoiler

nugg0030.png.107fbc0e978eea83594ba8eb537b7624.png

Do note that the graphics aren't built in; you have to provide the graphics yourself.

Edited by Alaux

Posted (edited)

Nice! Looks even better with the Doom font for the HUD, IMO.

MRlupXx.png

Here's the wad with those icons for anyone else, upgrade to the latest git (here for Windows as of this writing; you might need a github account) and pop 'em in your autoload folder.

edit: I brightened the outside teeth on the skull just a bit, after seeing these screenshots

Skull with red eyes: hudicons1.wad

Skull with black eyes: hudicons2.wad

edit 2: Alaux when I don't load the icons I get K/K/K instead of K/I/S, an especially unfortunate initialism

updated git link to the fixed version

Edited by plums

21 minutes ago, plums said:

edit 2: @Alaux when I don't load the icons I get K/K/K instead of K/I/S, an especially unfortunate initialism

Oops. Fixed.

Posted (edited)

Downloaded #354 and it feels a little different, not sure how to explain it, sharper movements? Could be placebo. Also when I clicked the end of the level button on E1M1 it crashed completely.

edit:

Tried a few other times and can't reproduce the crash and again (it was probably and alt+tab issue from earlier), the movement difference might be in my head.

edit:

Crashed again right now on DOOM2 MAP01 when I clicked the end of the level button. No alt+tab done this time at any point.

Edited by CacoKnight

8 minutes ago, CacoKnight said:

Downloaded #354 and it feels a little different and weird, not sure how to explain it, sharper movements? Could be placebo.

I didn't change anything regarding input, but the recent Woof-14.3.0 merge did. However, that means that whatever difference you're noticing in Nugget should also be present in Woof.

12 minutes ago, CacoKnight said:

Also when I clicked the end of the level button on E1M1 it crashed completely.

I tried to provoke the crash for a bit, but nothing happened. Could you send your .cfg?

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Alaux said:

I didn't change anything regarding input, but the recent Woof-14.3.0 merge did. However, that means that whatever difference you're noticing in Nugget should also be present in Woof.

Ohh I see, I don't really use Woof, I test it for a while when a new build or release is up but I wait for Nugget to merge to play.

I kind of didn't touch Doom all day because "life" so I just loaded to see the new invulnerability palette (the one from the port, no wads) and loaded bobbers+rocket launcher and did the levels fast to relax, 100% kills and secrets + end button, crashed twice but I can try again. The first time on E1M1 I paused it and did some alt+tabs but on DOOM2 MAP01 no alt-tabs.

.cfg attached, thank you for checking.

nugget-doom.zip

edit:

Tried 5-6 more games but I can't make it crash anymore, maybe it was loading all the new settings from the new merge?

Edited by CacoKnight

3 hours ago, Alaux said:

Done in these commits: 1, 2. Take a look:

Reveal hidden contents

nugg0030.png.107fbc0e978eea83594ba8eb537b7624.png

Do note that the graphics aren't built in; you have to provide the graphics yourself.

Thank you very much for including this feature in such a short time, I downloaded #354 x64 and it has not crashed with the exit switches or something else for the moment. 10/10

3 hours ago, plums said:

Nice! Looks even better with the Doom font for the HUD, IMO.

MRlupXx.png

Here's the wad with those icons for anyone else, upgrade to the latest git (here for Windows as of this writing; you might need a github account) and pop 'em in your autoload folder.

edit: I brightened the outside teeth on the skull just a bit, after seeing these screenshots

Skull with red eyes: hudicons1.wad

Skull with black eyes: hudicons2.wad

edit 2: Alaux when I don't load the icons I get K/K/K instead of K/I/S, an especially unfortunate initialism

updated git link to the fixed version

Thanks for the icons plums, very well done. 10/10

to be used in place of the "K/I/S" letter-labels: `HUDKILLS`, `HUDITEMS` and `HUDSCRTS` graphic lumps

wouldn't using the Unity port's naming be "more standard"?

that way, people could simply drop the "extras.wad" in nugget's autoload folders

/edit

actually nevermind, I see that the size of these newly-suppported lumps is different, I guess to correctly display them with both built-in fonts (boom and message) 

4 minutes ago, liPillON said:

wouldn't using the Unity port's naming be "more standard"?

that way, people could simply drop the "extras.wad" in nugget's autoload folders

/edit

actually nevermind, I see that the size of these newly-suppported lumps is different, I guess to correctly display them with both built-in fonts (boom and message) 

Apart from that, I feel like the Unity port's lump names are too generic; rather likely to be used by other stuff.

1 hour ago, CacoKnight said:

Tried 5-6 more games but I can't make it crash anymore

I tried once with your .cfg, no crash. Odd.

1 hour ago, CacoKnight said:

maybe it was loading all the new settings from the new merge?

If I'm not mistaken, the changes to the .cfg are only saved when exiting the game properly; if the game crashed, nothing should've been saved, so the next launch should've probably crashed too. No idea what happened, but I hope it doesn't happen again.

8 minutes ago, Alaux said:

the changes to the .cfg are only saved when exiting the game properly

Ohh yep, that makes sense for the second crash too, I noticed in fact the new gray invulnerability didn't save when crashed, I backup the configs etc. so I check inside + bytes.

It should be all good, thank you again.

Congrats on 3.0.0! I've been checking DW and GitHub every morning since Woof 14 dropped. The wait paid off!

I love new intermission screen and night-vision effect!

Way better than boring old ones!

I guess Woof and Nugget now are the ideal ports in terms of balance between classic look / feel and rich customization...

Gonna use fresh version for all wads!

Congrats on the release, I like the new menu a lot! When you refer to voxel support, does that mean that Voxel Doom will work with the port out-of-the-box? If so, how do you set it up?

Another port with native resolution support! Very good work! Maybe i start using it instead of Woof? :P Nice QoL features.

58 minutes ago, Dweller Dark said:

Congrats on the release, I like the new menu a lot! When you refer to voxel support, does that mean that Voxel Doom will work with the port out-of-the-box? If so, how do you set it up?

From what I tested, the .pk3 (cheello_voxels.pk3 if I'm not mistaken) works as is. All you'd have to do is load it.

9 minutes ago, Alaux said:

From what I tested, the .pk3 (cheello_voxels.pk3 if I'm not mistaken) works as is. All you'd have to do is load it.

Thanks, all I had to do was turn the zip file into pk3 and load it. Although the voxels sometimes aren't positioned correctly, like the eyes from SIGIL:

nugg0001.png.9d83583ba2f56829b1e37ab58d1907bc.png

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Dweller Dark said:

the voxels sometimes aren't positioned correctly, like the eyes from SIGIL

That's a map issue: some decorations originally have a single rotation frame, meaning that they look the same no matter where you look at them from, so there's no need to make them face the right direction. These quirks are exposed when providing the rest of rotations for the decoration sprites, or replacing them with voxels or models in general.

Edited by Alaux

10 minutes ago, Alaux said:

That's a map issue: some decorations originally have a single rotation frame, meaning that they look the same no matter where you look at them from, so there's no need to make them face the right direction. These quirks are exposed when providing the rest of rotations for the decoration sprites, or replacing them with voxels or models in general.

So you'd either have to fix the map or do something with the voxels to make them face the right way?

Posted (edited)

OOOO I just noticed the snazzy new screenshot showing off the voxel enemies. Nice move Mr. Alaux

On 10/19/2021 at 2:59 AM, Alaux said:

506257410_Banner128pL2.png.8f20e7b83fe2d06f1af05ef98f447b41.png Icon by @Korp

Nugget Doom is, pretty much, Woof! with some additions, most of which are inspired by or taken from other ports and mods, but with a few of my own ideas.

Take a peek!

nugg0040.png.a22e2b227ebfb142c9ee94fee488c55f.png

Edited by No-Man Baugh