Nugget Doom 3.1.0 (updated May 16th, '24)

Alaux

I might implement such variants but I'd have to move around the coord and stats widget, thus potentially making other people unhappy.

Then again trying to satisfy every user would be highly impractical, so I guess I'll draw the line here.

As for optionally turn them on/off: that would require editing nugget's source code

It is not possible through NUGHUD alone (this is not zdoom where CVars/InventoryItems are exposed to SBARINFO)

Feel free to edit the wad to your likings, though

To disable the arms widgets you'll just need to set the "x" coordinate to "-1" for each "nughud_arms" setting

Wierd, its not working. After changing coords Your hud does not working. What am i doing wrong?

Spoiler

nughud_arms1_x        -1
nughud_arms1_y        191
nughud_arms1_wide     0

nughud_arms2_x        -1
nughud_arms2_y        191
nughud_arms2_wide     0

nughud_arms3_x        -1
nughud_arms3_y        191
nughud_arms3_wide     0

nughud_arms4_x        -1
nughud_arms4_y        191
nughud_arms4_wide     0

nughud_arms5_x        -1
nughud_arms5_y        191
nughud_arms5_wide     0

nughud_arms6_x        -1
nughud_arms6_y        191
nughud_arms6_wide     0

nughud_arms7_x        -1
nughud_arms7_y        191
nughud_arms7_wide     0

nughud_arms8_x        -1
nughud_arms8_y        191
nughud_arms8_wide     0

nughud_arms9_x        -1
nughud_arms9_y        191
nughud_arms9_wide     0

I've run into a bug with Nugget Doom 3.1.0 @Alaux

Upon exiting a map, Nugget Doom crashes to desktop before loading the stats screen, but only if I use a launcher like ZDL or Doom Runner to load the IWAD (DOOM2.WAD in this case) from a different folder.  If I place DOOM2.WAD in the same folder as the executable & launch Nugget Doom directly, no crash when exiting the map & the game continues as normal.

I went back and tested 3.0.0 & it does not crash when loading IWADs from a separate folder using an external launcher.

I'm on Windows 10 64-bit & I tested on Doom 2 Map 01 with no additional wad files loaded using default settings from a fresh install of Nugget Doom.

6 hours ago, Alaux said:

Done, more or less; I should add toggles for these settings in some menu, optimally the Choose Skill Level one, but since that's not exactly trivial I simply added it as a cheat, in a similar fashion to the FAST cheat to toggle fast monsters.

That's awesome, always good to have more QoL options like these. Sometimes there's very ammo stingy maps where I wish I could blast things more or maybe there'll come a time when a set on UV is just too damn brutal for my skills and could use a crutch for 1/2 damage, so these are very nice to have indeed.

11 hours ago, Alaux said:

You know how the map name is displayed on the Automap? Would it be good enough if I made that little text be displayed momentarily when you enter a new map?

Yeah, that's completely fine.

4 hours ago, Rymante said:

Upon exiting a map, Nugget Doom crashes to desktop before loading the stats screen, but only if I use a launcher like ZDL or Doom Runner to load the IWAD (DOOM2.WAD in this case) from a different folder.  If I place DOOM2.WAD in the same folder as the executable & launch Nugget Doom directly, no crash when exiting the map & the game continues as normal.

Any chance you could try loading DOOM2.WAD from outside the Nugget folder using a .bat instead of a launcher? Also, if possible, I'd like to know the exact command-line parameters that the launchers are passing to the Nugget executable.

19 minutes ago, Alaux said:

Any chance you could try loading DOOM2.WAD from outside the Nugget folder using a .bat instead of a launcher? Also, if possible, I'd like to know the exact command-line parameters that the launchers are passing to the Nugget executable.

So I tried a batch file (nugget-doom.exe -iwad "E:/Games/Classic Doom/IWADs/DOOM2.WAD") & no crash on map exit!  Huh......

Getting the actual command line parameters the launchers use is a bit tricky, here's what I've found so far.

Doom Runner let's you export the command-line parameters to a batch file, the result was this.

cd "%~dp0"
"../../Source Ports/Nugget Doom Fresh/nugget-doom.exe" -iwad "../../IWADs/DOOM2.WAD"

ZDL's "Show command line" option shows this which I had to screenshot instead of copy/paste.

ZDLcmdline.jpg

In addition I also tested Woof 14.5.0 & it also does not crash on map exit when using these launchers.

It seems that the direct links have not been updated; they are still downloading version "3.0.0" instead of the latest "3.1.0".

36 minutes ago, Async Unicorn said:

It seems that the direct links have not been updated; they are still downloading version "3.0.0" instead of the latest "3.1.0".

You're right, I forgot to update them. I fixed them now. Thanks!

would it be possible to make the skyboxes unaffected by FOV? i'm not the biggest fan of how stretched short skies look, and it's annoying to have the skies just cut off to a solid color when playing at 110 fov

40 minutes ago, Donowa said:

would it be possible to make the skyboxes unaffected by FOV? i'm not the biggest fan of how stretched short skies look, and it's annoying to have the skies just cut off to a solid color when playing at 110 fov

Fair enough, I'll see what I can do.

16 hours ago, Rymante said:

Upon exiting a map, Nugget Doom crashes to desktop before loading the stats screen

I just made a little change that may solve it. Could you try an autobuild with it applied? If you don't have a GitHub account (required to download artifacts for some reason), you can use this site.

If that doesn't work, I've more questions:

9 hours ago, Rymante said:

Getting the actual command line parameters the launchers use is a bit tricky, here's what I've found so far.

Have you tried using those parameters through a .bat instead of a launcher? Also, do the launchers collect info like level statistics?

Posted (edited)

OK, my crashing situation has changed since yesterday.

57 minutes ago, Alaux said:

I just made a little change that may solve it. Could you try an autobuild with it applied? If you don't have a GitHub account (required to download artifacts for some reason), you can use this site.

I tried the new autobuild using Doom Runner to launch it and it didn't crash on map exit.  Problem solved right?  Well I I re-ran the test with the older builds of 3.1.0 I had installed, starting with the fresh install at default settings.

No crash.

Then I tried my customized install with custom wads autoloaded.

No crash.

Getting confused, I re-ran these same tests with ZDL.

The fresh install did not crash, my customized install crashed on map exit the first time I ran it, but did not crash the second time.

57 minutes ago, Alaux said:

Have you tried using those parameters through a .bat instead of a launcher? Also, do the launchers collect info like level statistics?

I have not tried this yet, I will later today as I clearly need to run more tests, since this makes no sense now that I can't trigger the crash consistently, whereas I could trigger it every time yesterday.

I am uncertain if ZDL & Doom Runner collect level stat info, I don't think they do.

Edited by Rymante
Forgot to add launcher info

16 minutes ago, Rymante said:

OK, my crashing situation has changed since yesterday.

The way you describe it, it sounds like you're suffering from an issue that's been pestering us for a while; see here.

Anyways, please stick to the autobuild from now on. Just to be clear: did said autobuild crash at all? If not, do report back if it does.

Nugget(3.0.0) also crashed for me for activating an exit but it only happened when I changed on death action to last save, then I went back to the game and on death action was back to default, very strange, I decided to leave it as default and It hasn't happened again.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Siglev said:

Nugget(3.0.0) also crashed for me for activating an exit but it only happened when I changed on death action to last save, then I went back to the game and on death action was back to default, very strange, I decided to leave it as default and It hasn't happened again.

Did you change that setting in the same session that crashed? If so, what happened is that any changes to the settings weren't saved because they're only saved when the program exits properly, which doesn't happen if the program suffers a [program] has stopped working kind of crash.

Edited by Alaux

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Alaux said:

Did you change that setting in the same session that crashed? If so, what happened is that any changes to the settings weren't saved because they're only saved when the program exits properly, which doesn't happen if the program suffers a [program] has stopped working kind of crash.

Yes, I suspected that. I also use doom launcher with -levelstat, no problems so far but when it crashed it didn't save my stats obviously.

Edited by Siglev

@Alaux file-scope variables are automatically zero initialized in C so that part of the fix would not change anything

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Alaux said:

The way you describe it, it sounds like you're suffering from an issue that's been pestering us for a while; see here.

Anyways, please stick to the autobuild from now on. Just to be clear: did said autobuild crash at all? If not, do report back if it does.

I've ran the new autobuild through some more tests.  So far I have tried:

• Running with the IWAD in the same directory
  • Running with my own batch file to load the IWAD from another directory.
  • Running through Doom Runner, then ZDL.
  • Running using the batch file Doom Runner can generate, without Doom Runner running.  (I couldn't figure out a way to replicate this test with ZDL.)

I ran each test multiple times to make sure, I have not yet been able to make it crash on map exit.

I want to try some more tests though, I have not touched the settings or complevels yet, nor tried loading additional wad files.  At this point I should be happy it's not crashing any more, but I more just want to solve the mystery of why it crashed at all, wondering now if it's even a Nugget Doom issue or if it's just something on my PC I overlooked.....

Edited by Rymante
rewording

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, dr.dendrite said:

@Alaux file-scope variables are automatically zero initialized in C so that part of the fix would not change anything

I remembered that later. Still, it's a precaution I'd like to take.

3 hours ago, Rymante said:

I ran each test multiple times to make sure, I have not yet been able to make it crash on map exit.

I want to try some more tests though, I have not touched the settings or complevels yet, nor tried loading additional wad files.  At this point I should be happy it's not crashing any more, but I more just want to solve the mystery of why it crashed at all, wondering now if it's even a Nugget Doom issue or if it's just something on my PC I overlooked.....

Don't sing victory yet: if this really is the issue that's been affecting @CacoKnight and others, then you might just be getting lucky because it's pretty much random -- it's also probably not an issue with your PC. Just keep using the autobuild normally and we'll see.

By the way, both you and @CacoKnight: do you remember if the crashes always happened upon the first exit of the session (i.e. the first time you exited a map since you launched the game)?

Edited by Alaux

13 minutes ago, Alaux said:

do you remember if the crashes always happened upon the first exit of the session (i.e. the first time you exited a map since you launched the game)?

It was definitely the first map exit since launching for me.

7 hours ago, Rymante said:

It was definitely the first map exit since launching for me.

99% sure it was the case for me as well, I have to do some more testing but I have other life stuff that are taking more time now and can't DOOM much but I will soon. Thank you for looking into this.

On 5/19/2024 at 3:11 PM, Zaratul said:

Wierd, its not working. After changing coords Your hud does not working. What am i doing wrong?

have you managed to get this working?

I tried editing my wad (I use SLADE3) and it's working as it's supposed to..

Here are both edited wads: nughud-split-noarms.zip

Oh, i used notebook for editing. :D Next time i use proper tools. And big thx for editing this.

32 minutes ago, Tuapse_cowboy said:

Hi, when will there be support for 5x4 resolution?

Damn that's a tiny monitor

1 hour ago, Tuapse_cowboy said:

i mean ratio 5:4

Doom's original aspect ratio is 4:3, and 5:4 is thinner than that, which makes it not as easy to support. The Woof devs might be able to do it, but I don't think I could.

Like last time, I can only suggest trying stretch-to-fit.

On 5/19/2024 at 9:21 PM, Donowa said:

^^^^^^^^ Massively seconding interest in this, it gets especially icky-looking if you play at a lower resolution scale (like 200%) like me. I combine around 100 FOV with aspect ratio correction disabled for my look so this would be huge 👍👍👍

On 5/19/2024 at 10:21 PM, Donowa said:

would it be possible to make the skyboxes unaffected by FOV?

52 minutes ago, stephyesterday said:

^^^^^^^^ Massively seconding interest in this

It's being worked upon.