Nugget Doom 3.1.0 (updated May 16th, '24)

Alaux

This is now my favorite source port for Vanilla-ish Doom. Would be great if there was support for Heretic and/or Hexen.

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2024 at 2:06 PM, Alaux said:

By the way, both you and @CacoKnight: do you remember if the crashes always happened upon the first exit of the session (i.e. the first time you exited a map since you launched the game)?

It was the first map 100%. I thought about it last night and every time I went back to play the same map after it crashed it never happened again.

Edited by CacoKnight
better wording

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I've had game crashes at random on map exit, currently still on 3.0.0 as I thought this was a problem that affected the latest update. Doesn't matter if it's the first level or the second to last, it runs on chaos logic. For example MAP06: Open Season of TNT crashed on exit, the first five never did. I would hate to be the one who is trying to pinpoint exactly why this is happening. It's enforced a practice for me to save my game before I leave a level.

Edited by Lila Feuer

1 hour ago, Lila Feuer said:

I've had game crashes at random on map exit, currently still on 3.0.0 as I thought this was a problem that affected the latest update. Doesn't matter if it's the first level or the second to last, it runs on chaos logic.

Sorry, but this is a bit unclear to me.

I'll repeat myself for clarity: it seems that this crash only happens the first time you exit a level since you launched the game, regardless of which level in the WAD that is.

So, did the game crash for you after having exited other levels successfully in the same session? Again, a session in this context goes from when you launch the game (that is, nugget-doom.exe) to when you close it.

I've launched WADs and not had MAP01 crash on exit, not that it can't but it's not 100% for me like it is for CacoKnight. But I've had other maps crash during the same play session.

Just to show how random it is, I exited MAP10 of 1killtng and no crash (my session lasted from the same map) on first attempt. Reloaded my game and exited a second time, no crash again. Reloaded a third time and exited, crashed.

I'm suffering from the same crash issue in the first map of abscission, every time i press the level end switch it just crashes me back to desktop, i tried putting doom 2 in the same folder as well but it just has the same crash.

On 6/1/2024 at 7:44 AM, gayzad said:

This is now my favorite source port for Vanilla-ish Doom. Would be great if there was support for Heretic and/or Hexen.

I never tought about it, now I also want it, lmao

@Foxstiel @Lila Feuer could you download and use the autobuild mentioned in this post? I'm not sure if it fixes the crashes, but at least @Rymante -- the only one whom as far as I remember has used that build -- hasn't reported crashes with it.

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2024 at 7:33 PM, Alaux said:

saw this got rejected, i think that most of the goals are reasonable except for "must rotate consistently with the current FOV"
i don't think that i'd be focusing on the precise alignment of the sky relative to the scene when i'm looking around; if i was, i'd probably focus more on how the sky isn't a cylinder (which shows through with how the top of the sky still appears as a flat line; it makes it feel disconnected from the rest of the scene)

Edited by Donowa

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Alaux said:

@Foxstiel @Lila Feuer could you download and use the autobuild mentioned in this post? I'm not sure if it fixes the crashes, but at least @Rymante -- the only one whom as far as I remember has used that build -- hasn't reported crashes with it.

I wasn't able to crash MAP01-04 of doom2.wad during some quick stress tests (repeatedly loading and using ten times in a row), but I did just crash MAP05 on my second try of the exit. Interesting. I crashed it again too on a new session but it took the third attempt to do so. It appears to be easily replicable.

OK I just tried MAP05 exit twenty times in a row because now I can't get it to crash on third try at all, if it helps I started a new game. I can't tell if there's like "bad data" being cached that could potentially spring on any map on a fresh game start or not (excuse my grotesque lack of programming lingo.)

I'll report more as I continue tests using doom2.wad, assuming the wad in question does not really matter. Though due to format differences I should probably try doom.wad too.

E: Could not crash the entirety of that D2 session, no idea what changed.

Edited by Lila Feuer

I remember I had a crash as well, maybe 2 or 3 times, non-official wads, at the end of the level, iirc right before the stats screen should appear. But they were months apart and I never saw any pattern in them.

1 hour ago, Deil said:

iirc right before the stats screen should appear.

You mean that the screen melted and you got to see the intermission screen, and it crashed before showing the stats?

Couldn't reproduce the crash so far. Do you guys have any fancy features enabled?

@CacoKnight @Deil @Foxstiel @Lila Feuer @Robo_Cola @Rymante @Siglev

That's a lot of mentions... anyways: I already forgot which OS's you're using, but if any of you is using Windows 10/11 x64, please try this build; it may just be the key to helping me solve this crash.

To clarify: when the game crashes, a log should be generated. Said log is what I need to track down the crash, so please send them over as soon as you get them.

I can't make the debug build crash, I tried maybe 15 games and nothing. It have to wait until it happens randomly but I don't play much right now, it might take a while, hopefully someone else will be able to generate a nice log.

On 6/18/2024 at 6:02 PM, Alaux said:

You mean that the screen melted and you got to see the intermission screen, and it crashed before showing the stats?

Either mid-melt, or when the background was already there, but before the stat numbers show up. Last crash was so long ago, can't be sure.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Deil said:

Either mid-melt, or when the background was already there, but before the stat numbers show up. Last crash was so long ago, can't be sure.

For me it was right when it starts melting, 1ms melting and crash.

Can I use "-verbose > _log.txt 2>&1" with any build or I need that particular one posted by ceski?

Edited by CacoKnight

1 hour ago, CacoKnight said:

Can I use "-verbose > _log.txt 2>&1" with any build or I need that particular one posted by ceski?

I'm not sure, but what I do know is that normal (non-ASan) builds won't output the info that I need; ceski's build is special, so to speak.

(Using Windows 10)
Ok I just got the ASAN build to crash on Map 01

...Buuuuut like an idiot, I forgot to use the batch file, so my efforts were wasted as I don't see a log file anywhere on my computer.  Regardless, it does seem to still be crashing.

Interestingly, I initially started up E1M1 but got an error saying my VirtualMIDISynth#1 default device out wasn't working.  Sometimes my Focusrite driver doesn't always pick up on startup without reconnecting the hardware once.
So I played through E1M1 no crash, went to the desktop and reconnected my Focusrite so it was now working, and played through Map 01 and got the crash to desktop from the exit switch.
I may have also SR50'd towards the exit switch.

Posted (edited)

Aaand just like that I went to go exit D2 MAP09 and as soon as I hit the switch the game immediately closed. Here's the log:

Nugget Doom 3.1.0 (built on Jun 18 2024)

M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
 default file: D:\Source Ports\idTech1\nugget-doom-debug\nugget-doom.cfg

IWAD found: D:\Steam\steamapps\common\doom 2\base\doom2.wad
DOOM II version

Savegame directory: D:\Source Ports\idTech1\nugget-doom-debug\savegames\doom2.wad
Screenshot directory: .

W_Init: Init WADfiles.
 adding D:\Steam\steamapps\common\doom 2\base\doom2.wad
 adding D:\Source Ports\idTech1\nugget-doom-debug\autoload\all-all\woofhud.lmp
 adding D:\Source Ports\idTech1\nugget-doom-debug\autoload\doom-all\brghtmps.lmp

M_Init: Init miscellaneous info.
R_Init: Init DOOM refresh daemon - [                          ]........................
P_Init: Init Playloop state.
I_Init: Setting up machine state.
I_InitController: Initialize game controller.
I_InitSound:
 Using 'OpenAL Soft on Speakers (Realtek(R) Audio)' @ 48000 Hz.
 Using 'Linear' resampler.
 Precaching all sound effects... done.
MIDI Init: Using 'CoolSoft MIDIMapper'.
NET_Init: Init network subsystem.
D_CheckNetGame: Checking network game status.
 startskill 3  deathmatch: 0  startmap: 1  startepisode: 1
 player 1 of 1 (1 nodes)
S_Init: Setting up sound.
HU_Init: Setting up heads up display.
ST_Init: Init status bar.
VX_Init: Voxels not found.

SDL render driver: direct3d
ResetResolution: 320x200
S_ChangeMusic: D_RUNNIN (doom2.wad)
P_SetupLevel: MAP01 (doom2.wad), Skill 4, Doom, Doom 1.9
S_ChangeMusic: D_IN_CIT (doom2.wad)
P_SetupLevel: MAP09 (doom2.wad), Skill 4, Doom, Doom 1.9
G_DoLoadGame: Slot 00, Time (1:09) 0:00.69
=================================================================
==3756==ERROR: AddressSanitizer: access-violation on unknown address 0x000000000000 (pc 0x7ffb9d09ca07 bp 0x000000000000 sp 0x00b54dcff160 T0)
==3756==The signal is caused by a READ memory access.
==3756==Hint: address points to the zero page.
    #0 0x7ffb9d09ca06 in add_string_to_line C:\msvc\Nugget-Doom\src\hu_lib.c:189
    #1 0x7ffb9d09ac16 in HUlib_add_strings_to_cur_line C:\msvc\Nugget-Doom\src\hu_lib.c:215
    #2 0x7ffb9d09a96e in HUlib_add_string_to_cur_line C:\msvc\Nugget-Doom\src\hu_lib.c:222
    #3 0x7ffb9d0aab4e in HU_widget_build_sttime C:\msvc\Nugget-Doom\src\hu_stuff.c:1487
    #4 0x7ffb9d0a16b8 in HU_widget_rebuild_sttime C:\msvc\Nugget-Doom\src\hu_stuff.c:1492
    #5 0x7ffb9d0929dd in G_DoCompleted C:\msvc\Nugget-Doom\src\g_game.c:1756
    #6 0x7ffb9d086e3e in G_Ticker C:\msvc\Nugget-Doom\src\g_game.c:3106
    #7 0x7ffb9d07a231 in RunTic C:\msvc\Nugget-Doom\src\d_net.c:91
    #8 0x7ffb9d06d6e3 in TryRunTics C:\msvc\Nugget-Doom\src\d_loop.c:878
    #9 0x7ffb9d079be9 in D_DoomMain C:\msvc\Nugget-Doom\src\d_main.c:3035
    #10 0x7ffb9d0b877e in NuggetDoom_Main C:\msvc\Nugget-Doom\src\i_main.c:70
    #11 0x7ff72d66283c  (D:\Source Ports\idTech1\nugget-doom-debug\nugget-doom.com+0x14000283c)
    #12 0x7ff72d66a12b  (D:\Source Ports\idTech1\nugget-doom-debug\nugget-doom.com+0x14000a12b)
    #13 0x7ff72d66a1d2  (D:\Source Ports\idTech1\nugget-doom-debug\nugget-doom.com+0x14000a1d2)
    #14 0x7ff72d663e78  (D:\Source Ports\idTech1\nugget-doom-debug\nugget-doom.com+0x140003e78)
    #15 0x7ff72d663d61  (D:\Source Ports\idTech1\nugget-doom-debug\nugget-doom.com+0x140003d61)
    #16 0x7ff72d663c1d  (D:\Source Ports\idTech1\nugget-doom-debug\nugget-doom.com+0x140003c1d)
    #17 0x7ff72d663f0d  (D:\Source Ports\idTech1\nugget-doom-debug\nugget-doom.com+0x140003f0d)
    #18 0x7ffc0ba07343 in BaseThreadInitThunk+0x13 (C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNEL32.DLL+0x180017343)
    #19 0x7ffc0bfbcc90 in RtlUserThreadStart+0x20 (C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll+0x18004cc90)

AddressSanitizer can not provide additional info.
SUMMARY: AddressSanitizer: access-violation C:\msvc\Nugget-Doom\src\hu_lib.c:189 in add_string_to_line
==3756==ABORTING

E: Can't crash it now no matter how hard I try. If anything it seems like it will crash one time during a session on any MAP upon game start/load.

Edited by Lila Feuer

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

E: Can't crash it now no matter how hard I try. If anything it seems like it will crash one time during a session on any MAP upon game start/load.

Don't worry, we got something already. Now it's just a matter of sorting it out. Thanks!

@fabian, thoughts? Could it be related to this recent change?

Edited by Alaux

On 6/1/2024 at 8:44 AM, gayzad said:

International Heretic and Hexen are pretty much that. Really solid ports.