Nugget Doom 3.1.0 (updated May 16th, '24)

Alaux

2 hours ago, CacoKnight said:

Alaux does NUGHUD_DSDA work even with the new dev builds (works fine on 2.3.1)? Trying to load it but I can't make it work, I copied it in the /autoload/all as NUGHUD-DSDA.wad, NUGHUD.wad and even tried to load it with -file but nothing, I don't see it.

It should work. Are you sure that the NUGHUD is being shown? The way to get to it changed since last release: you've to change to the fullscreen HUD size, which has the Boom HUD enabled by default, then change the HUD Type setting in Options > Status Bar/HUD to "Crispy" (or, in the very latest builds, "Nugget" -- same thing with a different name).

21 hours ago, Alaux said:

Status Bar/HUD to "Crispy"

That was it, thank you! Never played with NUGHUDs before other than customizing the default colors for the Extended HUD.

edit:

nugget-doom.cfg needs a missing ) at the end "[0-2(2)] Fullscreen HUD (0 = Crispy, 1 = Boom (No Bars), 2 = Boom " Noticed it's already fixed in the latest build.

edit2:

Is there a way to make them white > gold and blue > purple or do I have to change the colors of the images inside the .wad?

edit3:

I tried to color them and remake the .wad with SLADE but it crashes when I switch to the fullscreen HUD :! Attached the gold files, no idea what I am doing.

Edited by CacoKnight

Speaking of the renderer choice, is there a setting in the menu for this? I managed to change it through the cfg only. Software feels a bit sluggish but D3D11 works great. I also tried OpenGL but unfortunately I only get a black screen with my integrated GPU. OpenGL ES and OpenGL ES2 seem fine though, probably best to use those.

I noticed that with Woof! and this latest Nugget builds when set to opengl you have to alt+tab and come back to the port to make it work/see the game, not sure I explained correctly but once you do that it just works and unfortunately it's every time you launch it but it takes one second, no big deal.

16 minutes ago, DreadWanderer said:

Speaking of the renderer choice, is there a setting in the menu for this?

There isn't, and it looks like the whole setting will be removed (at least for now) due to issues with some renderers.

Reporting another issue, if you touch any of these 2 configs/folders with custom ones Nugget won't start anymore (even with the new folder already present, example: saves):

[("")] Path where savegames are stored 
savegame_dir                 ""

[("")] Path where screenshots are stored 
screenshot_dir               ""

Edited by CacoKnight

8 minutes ago, CacoKnight said:

Reporting another issue, if you touch any of these 2 configs/folders with custom ones Nugget won't start anymore (even with the new folder already present, example: saves):

[("")] Path where savegames are stored 
savegame_dir                 ""

[("")] Path where screenshots are stored 
screenshot_dir               ""

I was aware of savegame_dir causing trouble already, but not about screenshot_dir doing the same. I'll look into it later.

13 hours ago, CacoKnight said:

I tried to color them and remake the .wad with SLADE but it crashes when I switch to the fullscreen HUD :! Attached the gold files, no idea what I am doing.

The NUGHUD itself looks fine, judging from a quick look. As for the graphics, though, I can't really debug them like this; I would need the faulty WAD to try and figure out the issue.

Edited by Alaux

7 hours ago, Alaux said:

I would need the faulty WAD to try and figure out the issue.

Again, I never touched this .wad stuff so, no idea what I am doing, I just loaded the normal .wad and replaced those .png files with the gold ones. Attached the broken wad, thank you for checking.

edit:

Not 100% correct yet, I left the shadow black, checking right now.

7 hours ago, Alaux said:

but not about screenshot_dir doing the same.

It doesn't, my bad, it's only the savegames folder. Just double checked right now.

New files attached but same error.

NUGHUD-DSDA-GOLD2.WAD.zip

NUGHUD-DSDA-GOLD2.zip

@liPillON can you check too please? I don't want to bother him too much, this kind of stuff will take 5 secs to someone that already creates them. Thank you.

Edited by CacoKnight

9 hours ago, CacoKnight said:

Again, I never touched this .wad stuff so, no idea what I am doing, I just loaded the normal .wad and replaced those .png files with the gold ones. Attached the broken wad, thank you for checking.

New files attached but same error.

NUGHUD-DSDA-GOLD2.WAD.zip

NUGHUD-DSDA-GOLD2.zip

@liPillON can you check too please? I don't want to bother him too much, this kind of stuff will take 5 secs to someone that already creates them. Thank you.

Nugget-Doom doesn't use PNGs for graphics, you'll have to use Doom Graphic Lumps for them to work (which for a PNG you can do in Slade3 by right-clicking on a graphic, hover over the "graphic" option, click "convert" click ok, and now your graphics are no longer PNGs

I converted the .pngs to propper doom graphic lumps, don't look so golden anymore, I just wanted to let you see if that's what you've been running up against:

NUGHUD-DSDA-GOLDlmps.wad.zip

Oh geez, had no idea I actually had to convert them and that SLADE does it too, good to know for next stuff I want to change, thank you to all of you !

*Funny in one test I did I actually renamed to .lmp, didn’t even think about any conversion..

Edited by CacoKnight

21 hours ago, CacoKnight said:

Reporting another issue, if you touch any of these 2 configs/folders with custom ones Nugget won't start anymore (even with the new folder already present, example: saves)

The saves one should be fixed now, could you try it just in case?

20 hours ago, CacoKnight said:

[screenshot_dir] doesn't, my bad, it's only the savegames folder. Just double checked right now.

Turns out I had actually been using screenshot_dir myself for quite a while, and it gave me no issues either.

12 minutes ago, Alaux said:

The saves one should be fixed now, could you try it just in case?

Bobbers! It works beautifully now thank you !

10 hours ago, No-Man Baugh said:

don't look so golden anymore

Do you know a tool to convert png to lmp losslessly (or with minimal quality loss if lmp is lossy anyway)?

Edited by CacoKnight

7 minutes ago, CacoKnight said:

Bobbers! It works beautifully now thank you !

Great, thanks for testing!

7 minutes ago, CacoKnight said:

Do you know a tool to convert png to lmp losslessly?

I don't think that's possible, due to Doom's paletted nature: Doom graphics (what you're calling "lmp") store not the RGB components of the colors used, but rather indices to colors in the WAD's palette. That's why you might get weird-looking graphics if you change the palette without converting the existing graphics to it ("converting" as in replacing the graphic's old palette indices with those of the most-similar colors in the new palette, which is done by external programs like SLADE).

Edited by Alaux

1 hour ago, CacoKnight said:

Please do not remove this option when you merge from Woof! so the port can be truly portable.

This is kinda sour grapes, man. You can still set an environment variable which is a very "portable" concept.

4 minutes ago, CacoKnight said:

Just trying to push my preferences, the devs will decide what's best for the port and the users :)

That's fine and all, but your implication that they have made the program less portable somehow is wrong.

Posted (edited)

Well, the new "feature" removes that extra option of portability, standalone is not portable, portable means I can transfer any software to a flash drive, open it anywhere and everything is exactly the same. How can be this the same if the variable path is on the system? Again, not a big deal and they may know what works better for the port graphics etc.

Edited by CacoKnight

1 minute ago, CacoKnight said:

portable means I can transfer any software to a flash drive, open it anywhere and everything is exactly the same.

As rfomin said, even if you're using the same SDL render driver there can still be differences depending on what OS and driver versions you're running. Sure, if we let each OS choose a render driver automatically at launch we ought to have differences too, but I would hope that whatever it chooses is decent; that seems to be the case with Windows choosing Direct3D 9.

Excuse me @rfomin, what if I keep sdl_renderdriver but set it to "" for all OS's? Would that let each OS choose a render driver automatically like with Woof 14.1, while still allowing users to specify a given render driver if they insist?

32 minutes ago, CacoKnight said:

Well, the new "feature" removes that extra option of portability, standalone is not portable, portable means I can transfer any software to a flash drive, open it anywhere and everything is exactly the same. How can be this the same if the variable path is on the system? Again, not a big deal and they may know what works better for the port graphics etc.

You can set an environment variable from the command line as part of a batch file you keep on that flash drive, not sure what you mean by path.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, dasho said:

You can set an environment variable from the command line as part of a batch file you keep on that flash drive, not sure what you mean by path.

I tried a few options but none of them launched Woof, how do I do that? That would actually fix 99.5% of the issue I have with this change.

The other issue is that when you set that system variable then every SDL application will launch in that mode and not just the port, I want to launch the port in OpenGL if available or Vulkan when it will become available, simple as. But again, maybe I am confusing environment variable for the port with the system one? I see that Doom Runner can set the variable for the preset so there must be a way from the command line.

Edited by CacoKnight

10 minutes ago, CacoKnight said:

I tried a few options but none of them launched Woof, how do I do that? That would actually fix 99.5% of the issue I have with this change.

Create woof.bat file with this code:

set SDL_RENDER_DRIVER=opengl
woof %*

Although I don't recommend that.

35 minutes ago, Alaux said:

what if I keep sdl_renderdriver but set it to "" for all OS's? Would that let each OS choose a render driver automatically like with Woof 14.1, while still allowing users to specify a given render driver if they insist?

Yes, you can do that

23 hours ago, CacoKnight said:

Please do not remove this option when you merge from Woof! so the port can be truly portable.

Done, although Windows autobuilds are unavailable at the moment.

Posted (edited)

Weird request here since I'll probably be the only one using it but would it be possible to make another bobbers that's even faster (bobbers2)? Like GZDoom's "sv_fastweapons 2"? Bobbers works like "sv_fastweapons 1" but the 2 makes the normal shotgun work like a chaingun and it's crazy fun! Thank you and thank you for the new builds! Will test as soon as they are available.

Edited by CacoKnight

3 minutes ago, CacoKnight said:

Weird request here since I'll probably be the only one using it but would it be possible to make another bobbers that's even faster? Like GZDoom's "sv_fastweapons 2"?

I've been somewhat considering it for a while, but at first glance I believe it'd require to make pretty much every single weapon attack function call the refire function, which would be a bit tedious. No guarantees.

By the way, BOBBERS is just a shortcut for FULLCLIP and VALIANT, the latter of which is the fast-weapons cheat.

Posted (edited)

Oh yeah, forgot about that ! ..and that seems too much work.

edit:

New build works perfectly thank you. Say whatever you want but OpenGL feels smoother and the GPU fans spin less as well.

Edited by CacoKnight

Is anyone using the "Seizure" screen wipe?

It looks like the next Woof release will include a crossfade wipe, as featured in Eternity, which I believe could supersede Seizure. Even then, Seizure is a bit harsh on the eyes (which is the very reason why I called it that), so that's another factor promoting its removal in my opinion.

Posted (edited)

Where can I find that option? I want to see what I'm using and what that is, thank you.

edit:

Oops, found it, I personally use Melt, I like to keep most I can like vanilla Doom.

edit2:

Geez that "seizure" is NICE to the eyes ...! (I don't like it.)

Edited by CacoKnight

I tried using it once, and it hurt my eyes, even though I'm not prone to seizures, but it would be nicer to replace that with the crossfade option.