UMAPINFO Designer

I love mapping for Boom and Vanilla / limit removing. I've wanted to get into ZDoom and Doom in Hexen formats, but they seemed quite daunting. Thanks for your work trying to make mapping more approachable! I'll gladly download this and try it out.

12 hours ago, JadingTsunami said:

I notice many threads where users find UMAPINFO difficult to use, or its options hard to understand. There are many caveats that are not obvious. I would like to help make it easier to use. 

I honestly don't find UMAPINFO to be difficult to use or hard to understand, it's just MAPINFO with some new command.

But anyway, the tool looks great! 

Gave this a spin and really like it! I can see this speeding up the process of UMAPINFO creation and will definitely use this in the future. I did notice an oddity where if I change the exit from an endgame to a normal exit, the endgame command still remains. Not a big deal, but can be a trip-up if someone's not paying attention.

If I could make some suggestions, I think adding options in the Boss Action menu for common Boss Actions like "use MAP07 Special" would add to the ease of use.

Again, great work on this tool!

Edited by T.Will

28 minutes ago, T.Will said:

Gave this a spin and really like it! I can see this speeding up the process of UMAPINFO creation and will definitely use this in the future. I did notice an oddity where if I change the exit from an endgame to a normal exit, the endgame command still remains. Not a big deal, but can be a trip-up if someone's not paying attention.

If I could make some suggestions, I think adding options in the Boss Action menu for common Boss Actions like "use MAP07 Special" would add to the ease of use.

Again, great work on this tool!

Thanks for the report! This should be fixed now. I'll release a new Windows binary later on in case there are more bug reports.

I'll think about ease-of-use options for Boss Actions too.

On 11/11/2021 at 4:18 PM, lokbustam257 said:

I honestly don't find UMAPINFO to be difficult to use or hard to understand, it's just MAPINFO with some new command.

But anyway, the tool looks great! 

I can definetly understand UMAPINFO being hard to use, especially to those, who are not used to reading the code speak that wiki has. So until you get used to it, you're going to have trouble with it, even with all the tutorials out there

• 7 months later...
7 hours ago, IcarusOfDaggers said:

Hey, sorry for necro, but for some reason, when i attempt to use the program, it never loads any of my wad files, despite Doom II iwad being loaded

Could you say more about what happens? When you say it doesn't load your WAD files, do you mean the resources don't appear or the maps don't appear?

If it's the maps don't appear, that's expected: you add them in. Loading WADs will only make the resources available.

1 hour ago, JadingTsunami said:

Could you say more about what happens? When you say it doesn't load your WAD files, do you mean the resources don't appear or the maps don't appear?

If it's the maps don't appear, that's expected: you add them in. Loading WADs will only make the resources available.

Okay thanks, i figured it out thanks to your hint.

• 1 month later...

Hey, Avira marks "Drop.Win64.UserProfileSelfRun.210364" (which seems to be part of Umapinfo Designer) as a threat. Do you know why this could be the case?

49 minutes ago, AdNauseam said:

Hey, Avira marks "Drop.Win64.UserProfileSelfRun.210364" (which seems to be part of Umapinfo Designer) as a threat. Do you know why this could be the case?

False positives. It's not even an EXE, it's a python program.

35 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

False positives. It's not even an EXE, it's a python program.

I believe you that it's a false positive, never would have thought anything else of a program that's posted and kept up on Doomworld, but why do you say that it's not an *.exe? The file does have the exe-file extension.

I was just curious what "Drop.Win64.UserProfileSelfRun.210364" means and why it is seen as a threat. But I can also just ignore it, if that's the best thing to do. I'm not that experienced.

Just now, AdNauseam said:

I believe you that it's a false positive, never would have thought anything else of a program that's posted and kept up on Doomworld, but why do you say that it's not an *.exe? The file does have the exe-file extension.

I was just curious what "Drop.Win64.UserProfileSelfRun.210364" means and why it is seen as a threat. But I can also just ignore it, if that's the best thing to do. I'm not that experienced.

Oh, didn't realize he had a compiled binary build. Thought it was just Python source...

The basic gist of what it means is "It thinks there's something here, but there's not." Presumably the way it's coded is tripping heuristics just enough to make it think it's malicious.

Wow this looks great. If only it was an executable. 

I just however spent the last few days working on a UMAPINFO in a text editor and got it mostly working very well.

• 1 month later...