Can we get a Doom map from this image?

Hellbent

Making a single map from this piece of art is a tall order. The question is, how do you break up such a task into a multi-person project? (Because, honestly, no one would be insane or ambitious enough to tackle this solo). Maybe you could break up the mapping into color codes: One mapper to draw the big purple corridors and the thin blue ones surrounding them. Another to draw the combination of the dark blue and regular blue ones. And another to do draw the gold ones. But this isn't a great solution either since each mapper would have to wait for the previous one to finish before they could start (unless each person were to build their part in separate wads and then you were to overlay each person's designs into a single wad). 4-sector.wad anyone?

If this were to be done with only 4 sectors, what do you think the sector heights and widths should be? One possibility could be:

purple sector: floor:0, ceiling: 512 (I'm thinking these corridors would be 256 wide)

Thin dark-navy blue sector: Floor:-32, Ceiling: 96 (I'm thinking these would be between 40 and 56 wide [the diagonal portions])

Thin blue sector: Floor: -56, Ceiling: 152 (I'm thinking these would be 24 to 33 wide [the diagonal portions]).

Gold sector: Floor: 96, Ceiling: 288 (you'd use arch-viles to get up here) (These generally could be about 128 wide). 

Maybe Doomworld needs another competition wad like 10sector with some worthwhile prize for the effort. Judging would be based on how cool and creative the wad is but just as importantly how closely it adheres to the "blueprint" of the image: 

1450765207_doommapart.jpg.9491dcf8a1f157b682082cfab695e193.jpg1494440311_doommapart1.jpg.552273e4fe845157b9c5537b288b879d.jpg

Edited by Hellbent
clearer communication (hopefully)

its very possible. Not from me but someone can probably do it

Edited by Dyshoria software
typo

Well, this is actually possible for a single person and multi person project. The hardest obstacle would be converting the image into a wad file, since recreation would cause inevitable inaccuracies. 

Second thing, it would need atleast 8 different sectors. The image itself can be broken down into 3 parts, most optimal would be 5 to 7 parts and some source ports do allow teleporting from one map to another. However, for a single wad it is doing to be tricky. A lot of it would have to be done with floor and ceiling shenanigans. 

Community project wise it could be broken down into 10-15 pieces, with largest one being the central hub. Good thing is, that kind of futuristic layout suits for almost anything. Good luck!

39 minutes ago, Dyshoria software said:

its very possible. Not from me but someone can probably do it

Not me. I don't want to go back to my symmetrical ways from the WOS era.

It's definitely possible if you got the right mappers with the guts and the gumption (and possible madness) to do it! I mean, if my boy Clippy could make a functioning and beatable map out of one of my abstract squiggles, there's no doubt in my mind one or more mappers with enough drive could make a map out of that image.

Edited by Biodegradable

If those are all hallways, it seems like it'd be rather boring, but if it's like a giant mural on the floor of a huge arena that could be interesting.

Like VanaheimRanger noted, I think it would be epic as a design for an arena.. perhaps some tiny height variations between the lines (some could be channels of custom blood or lava flats, with a colour matching the art)
These pictures could also be made into cool textures tbh.

Edited by knifeworld