These voxelized Doom sprites are incredible

Chillo already made a lot of amazing Quake models before, so I am actually not THAT surprised he is doing a great job in Doom as well. However, considering the fact these are voxels which are really not easy to animate, let alone make them look good, I gotta say he outdid himself with these.

I've seen a few attempts at making 3D models for Doom and they always look slightly off because their definition tends to be too good compared to their environment. Voxels seem like the perfect solution to this. It's incredible how these models are almost indistinguishable from the 2D sprites when viewed at 90-degree angles.

4 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Speaking of asses, when is @Maes going to be able to lay his eyes on Cybie's fine voxelized buttcheeks?

Just my eyes? :-)

13 minutes ago, Maes said:

Just my eyes? :-)

No no, of course not. You can take him home and go to bed with him, resting your head on his pixelated buttocks. Feel how soft his voxels are as you fall asleep between his crack, only to be startled mid-dream by the thunderous roar of a Voxel-Cybie fart.

You'll be glad afterwards that he doesn't have two buttholes like a Voxel-Caco.

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

32 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

resting your head on his pixelated buttocks. Feel how soft his voxels are as you fall asleep between his crack, only to be startled mid-dream by the thunderous roar of a Voxel-Cybie fart.

FI9t3y9X0AAAfG8?format=jpg&name=small

Edited by The BMFG

35 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

No no, of course not. You can take him home and go to bed with him, resting your head on his pixelated buttocks. Feel how soft his voxels are as you fall asleep between his crack, only to be startled mid-dream by the thunderous roar of a Voxel-Cybie fart.

You'll be glad afterwards that he doesn't have two buttholes like a Voxel-Caco.

629409601107918868.webp?size=44&quality=

3 minutes ago, Lutz said:

These look fantastic!  Out of curiousity, what ports currently/will support voxel models?

GZDoom and Delphi Doom do, I believe. I'm not sure about any others.

Woops I should have read more of the first post! But anyway it deserves another mention I guess since its great work... haha

For Blood fans out there, I believe Chillo has a big voxel enemy set for Blood and you can use it! https://www.moddb.com/mods/blood-coagulated

Oh and I bet a voxelized enemy + item + weapon pack would be fantastic for VR! (Oddly enough I love playing classic Doom in VR)

Edited by Immorpher

Happy someone is finally doing this.  Just a shame my artistic talent and motivation are somewhat lacking and I wouldn't be able to assist with more complex stuff like this.  

On 1/27/2022 at 10:31 AM, Immorpher said:

Woops I should have read more of the first post! But anyway it deserves another mention I guess since its great work... haha

For Blood fans out there, I believe Chillo has a big voxel enemy set for Blood and you can use it! https://www.moddb.com/mods/blood-coagulated

Oh and I bet a voxelized enemy + item + weapon pack would be fantastic for VR! (Oddly enough I love playing classic Doom in VR)

That's what most excites me about this project tbh, classic Doom VR already feels like you're up close and personal with the demons and this pack is gonna amplify that that tenfold. It'll be so cool seeing these demons given a genuine sense of size and scale, with an appealing voxel style no less.

heres his work on the automap

EDIT : more automap stuff from him

Edited by The BMFG

2 hours ago, game said:

Is there also a video on how it's made? The results are truly fascinating.

There are some older tweets showing untextured and partially textured voxels and then there's this one showing the posing process with stick figures