These voxelized Doom sprites are incredible

On 1/27/2022 at 6:54 PM, DooMAD said:

Happy someone is finally doing this.  Just a shame my artistic talent and motivation are somewhat lacking and I wouldn't be able to assist with more complex stuff like this.  

I have always waited for something like this. It was the obvious missing link. 3d models look odd and upscaled sprites as well. Normal sprites also look odd with mouselook on. This solves it.

it would be cool if someone could screenshot some of these and scale them down for extra angles

Well, i really like his work, despite i am - the other one who works on voxeling doom sprite. As my RDVOX is released as frequently as i can, i have never found Chillo's packs for doom. I don't know why doesn't he release his work, or where to find it, but anyway that is titanic ammount of work, i know.

Edited by GRAU

7 hours ago, gwain said:

it would be cool if someone could screenshot some of these and scale them down for extra angles

There is an utility named DD_Voxel from author of delphi doom - Jval. It can convert any voxel into 16 or 32 rotation sprites,  but that never does any light re calculations or shadings, that are the only advantage of the 2D sprites. Actually why do not you llike the idea of using voxels themselve?

• 2 weeks later...

These look great but I see myself disabling them because corpses will be levitating on the edges. That's the problem with not having ragdoll physics.

Just had a play around with the voxel things found at http://teamhellspawn.com/voxels.html referred to above.

They do look pretty cool, and fit in with the pixelated look of Doom really well. This is stated as a work in progress, so not all things are converted. There is an odd effect with a fired rocket though. You'll see...

I added to a PK3 hierarchy as well, and you can see that structure here:

https://github.com/smeghammer/snippets/tree/master/pk3voxel

Having voxel monsters as well will make playing Doom a really good experience IMHO. I for one think this would be an excellent addition.

5 hours ago, smeghammer said:

Just had a play around with the voxel things found at http://teamhellspawn.com/voxels.html referred to above.

They do look pretty cool, and fit in with the pixelated look of Doom really well. This is stated as a work in progress, so not all things are converted. There is an odd effect with a fired rocket though. You'll see...

I added to a PK3 hierarchy as well, and you can see that structure here:

https://github.com/smeghammer/snippets/tree/master/pk3voxel

Having voxel monsters as well will make playing Doom a really good experience IMHO. I for one think this would be an excellent addition.

I would like a way to enable 2d sprites for corpses to avoid the awkard thing of corpses levitating on ledges.

The 3d rocket will be great because projectiles are annoying to dodge if not fully 3d.

On 3/20/2022 at 12:18 AM, smeghammer said:

Having voxel monsters as well will make playing Doom a really good experience IMHO.

but note that rendering voxels in HW-accelerated ports is VERY expensive. even the simpliest voxel model usually has about 500-1000 triangles, and usually there is much more (5000+). those models may look simple, but they are "high-poly models" under the hood.

11 minutes ago, ketmar said:

but note that rendering voxels in HW-accelerated ports is VERY expensive. even the simpliest voxel model usually has about 500-1000 triangles, and usually there is much more (5000+). those models may look simple, but they are "high-poly models" under the hood.

Voxels are also expensive in SW rendering, their drawing complexity is one order of magnitude greater than their sprite equivalent.

This is so cool! While I can't see myself using thing in game, I love the build engine aesthetic of the voxel art. Now if only we could get comical spinning voxel weapons...

8 minutes ago, Sr_Ludicolo said:

Now if only we could get comical spinning voxel weapons...

do you mean… like this? ;-)

1 hour ago, Sr_Ludicolo said:

This is so cool! While I can't see myself using thing in game, I love the build engine aesthetic of the voxel art. Now if only we could get comical spinning voxel weapons...

Actually, there are the DROPPEDSPIN & PLACEDSPIN fields in VOXELDEF lumps than can spin a voxel item.

Edited by jval

I had a negative attitude towards pretty much every 3d model project I've seen for Doom before, but this is just amazing. The fidelity to the originals is perfect and the quality is on point, I had not heard about this project before so thank you for letting us know!

Oh the really do look good AND fitting.

I remember that i once had 3D Models Yeeeeaaars ago.

They were a bit chunky, but i was impressed back then.

Does somebody know such Models from the Mid 2000s?

On 3/19/2022 at 5:34 AM, mankubus said:

These look great but I see myself disabling them because corpses will be levitating on the edges. That's the problem with not having ragdoll physics.

This seems like an odd detail to get hung up about unless you also can't stand corpses in basically every full 3D FPS made up until the mid 2000s.

22 minutes ago, lazygecko said:

This seems like an odd detail to get hung up about unless you also can't stand corpses in basically every full 3D FPS made up until the mid 2000s.

Not to mention that the existing sprite corpses also hang off edges, so disabling the models wouldn't even avoid that problem.

These look really cool, by the way. First 3D interpretation I've seen that actually looks in place with the rest of the game. Will be interesting to see familiar poses and animations from new angles, like death animations from the side or anything from above.

Edited by Shepardus

15 hours ago, lazygecko said:

I couldn't. It always got on my nerves until ragdolls were released. The models just look dumb hanging on the edges of every stair.

15 hours ago, Shepardus said:

Not to mention that the existing sprite corpses also hang off edges, so disabling the models wouldn't even avoid that problem.

These look really cool, by the way. First 3D interpretation I've seen that actually looks in place with the rest of the game. Will be interesting to see familiar poses and animations from new angles, like death animations from the side or anything from above.

But it's not as dramatic as having the 2 legs limp as sticks sticking out off a cliff. You notice it less with a sprite.

I can kinda understand that. A 2D sprite doesn't really exist in the game world in the same way as something 3D does, it's so far detached from the real world's geometry it's more like an abstract representation you can use your imagination on. It's kinda like how people think the Icon of Sin looks awful because it's flat even though it's exactly as flat as every single sprite-based monster. But because it adheres more closely to real world geometry, you can clearly see how flat it is.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/21/2022 at 10:23 AM, lazygecko said:

a possible fix could be to have the bodies dissapear and leave a floating indicator so you can still see bodies that the archvile might target, could be an upside down cross or a little ghost

• 4 weeks later...

I really love the way voxels look in general. I use some packs for Duke Nukem and Blood, but these don't include enemies yet.

Surely, it beats regular 3D polygonal monsters.

@ketmar Excuse my naive approach. If we render our voxel model as cubes, that means we need two triangles for every visible cube's face. Is that correct? As you say, that's a lot of triangles to draw. Is there an advantage to use a voxel model over a polygonal one or it is just a matter of aesthetics?

I am really looking forward to see the Cyberdemons Backsite.

Also, congrats to the Article, those Voxel Models really deserve the Attention.