These voxelized Doom sprites are incredible

20 hours ago, Bauul said:

I completely agree that some coding inclusions to help the voxels act more like the original sprites would add a better sense of authenticity, and be less jarring.  It's no critique on the voxels themselves, more an observation of how voxels act differently to sprites.

Yes, just to echo this as well. The voxel models shown in this thread are really well done, I'd just like the option to experience them in a way that may fit best for me.

The same technique could in principle be used for 3D models too.

More of his recent work. This looks really nice. Best 3D-fication of the sprites I've seen so far.

• 1 month later...

Isnt there some kind of trick one could do in order to render voxels more efficiently in the ports that support it?

Rendering them as models seems like the most resource consuming option.

What if the techniques used by Ken's voxel engine was used to render voxels in supported ports instead?

Hmmm.

I dunno much about how voxels work, I guess like dense pixel-cubes as opposed to polygons?

And probably a super stupid question... but performance-wise, would voxels have been possible on the original intended hardware at DOOMs release? Or were those 486DX's really only good for sprites and that's about it? I only question this because (a) my lack of technical understanding of voxels and (b) because technically Quake 1 used polygons without 3D acceleration running on a Pentium 75mhz (GLquake came a bit later I believe). I understand the P75mhz was capable of floating point calculations that the 486 just couldn't do (rendering Quake 1 a slideshow on a 486).... but in the sense of voxels, curious as how do they compare?

Pretty incredible how accurate these models are to the sprites. And yet the madman did it by hand, theres no programming magic involved.

Definitely the "definitive way" of playing with 3D models.

I hope one day we get to see it with ray-tracing. Could look cool.

So I came across this video of another person doing some real interesting tests with alternative rendering methods in Duke Nukem 3D. It renders the voxels with an ortographic projection making them lose their 3D depth and truly look like 2D sprite billboards again, but still retaining the added benefit of the seamless 3D angles. I'd love to see the Doom voxels rendered in this manner as well

Has anyone tried the recently released version of this?

It works fine but sometimes the animations cause stutters. It's very noticeable (and reproducible) in E3M1 after you release the Caco. You can see that as the Caco makes new animations, the whole game loses sync or stutters. The death animation also causes this. I think it only happens the first time these animations occur, kinda like shader cache stutters. It doesn't seem to happen with animations from other monsters like Imps and zombies.

Edited by TasAcri

On 8/29/2022 at 9:45 AM, lazygecko said:

So I came across this video of another person doing some real interesting tests with alternative rendering methods in Duke Nukem 3D. It renders the voxels with an ortographic projection making them lose their 3D depth and truly look like 2D sprite billboards again, but still retaining the added benefit of the seamless 3D angles. I'd love to see the Doom voxels rendered in this manner as well

This is extremely interesting and reminds me of the signature fixed-point wobble of PS1 graphics. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...