WadC 3.1 released: now with tweakable knobs

Jon

A primary bump, but @Jon i have updated the WadC wiki page with a link to Brutal Extinction Tournament as a WadC example and highlighted that version 3.1 will feature built-in support for vanilla conveyors. I also added The Last Sanctuary, as it utilizes WadC to simulate a day/night system using dozens of linedefs/sidedefs.

Side-question: The source code for that day/night system is available. Perhaps, similar to vanilla conveyors, it could be pushed to stove as a part of WadC? The feature might be costly, but the effect is definitely quite unique - TLS is the only wad i know that uses it at this moment.

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2022 at 6:54 PM, Redneckerz said:

A primary bump, but @Jon i have updated the WadC wiki page with a link to Brutal Extinction Tournament as a WadC example and highlighted that version 3.1 will feature built-in support for vanilla conveyors. I also added The Last Sanctuary, as it utilizes WadC to simulate a day/night system using dozens of linedefs/sidedefs.

Thanks. I'm surprised I hadn't put TLC in there already. Thanks for catching that

On 2/5/2022 at 6:54 PM, Redneckerz said:

Side-question: The source code for that day/night system is available. Perhaps, similar to vanilla conveyors, it could be pushed to stove as a part of WadC? The feature might be costly, but the effect is definitely quite unique - TLS is the only wad i know that uses it at this moment.

What the TLC author did was write some C++ to encapsulate their logic that generated as output some relatively "dumb" wadc, since C++ is what they were familiar with. There's nothing wrong with that, for what they did it for: I'm all in favour of "get the job done by any means possible" and that works very well for WADs which are generally speaking "release once and done". But the C++ generator itself is not easy to integrate into WadC (which is written in Java). The logic could be reworked into native WadC (mostly implementing the equivalent of iterative loops), it's something I had considered doing once but never got around to it.

• 3 months later...

I've finally released WadC 3.1. Edited the top post to this thread accordingly. This is my sole bump. I think I'm done now. Thank you.

25 minutes ago, Jon said:

I've finally released WadC 3.1. Edited the top post to this thread accordingly. This is my sole bump. I think I'm done now. Thank you.

So sorry to hear about your friend. I had one like that, we were so close and comfortable we could be in the same room and it was like being alone - no pretences. Could catch up after months of not even a word and it would be like yesterday. All the cliches. Even though the grief's long past, I still miss her a lot.  When you love someone and see that friendship stretching out as long as you live, you lose a part of yourself with that future when they go.

It's tough with something like suicide or in her case accidentally ODing. I mean, it makes no sense to feel guilty, you can't do living or healing for other people, but you also can't help but wonder if there was anything.

WadC looks very cool, cheers for you work on it.

1 hour ago, holaareola said:

So sorry to hear about your friend. I had one like that, we were so close and comfortable we could be in the same room and it was like being alone - no pretences. Could catch up after months of not even a word and it would be like yesterday. All the cliches. Even though the grief's long past, I still miss her a lot.  When you love someone and see that friendship stretching out as long as you live, you lose a part of yourself with that future when they go.

It's tough with something like suicide or in her case accidentally ODing. I mean, it makes no sense to feel guilty, you can't do living or healing for other people, but you also can't help but wonder if there was anything.

Thank you, this was a lovely thing for you to write, I appreciate it.

My condolences, I've been through the same. It's incredibly rough but just hang in there. 

Anyway, love to see the update to WadC. I've fiddled with it before and liked it. I am terminally stupid though, so coding and what not is a little out of my depth. I'm going to give it another shot, as the update looks like it will help dumb brain get a map going. I love the idea typing out a map. Nice and fast. 

4 hours ago, Jon said:

Thanks for releasing WadC 3.1.

And whilst that is the body of your announcement (We are in the WadC thread after all) i'd like to address the dedication to your friendship in long standing.

What you describe is the kind of friend people are damn lucky to have - And i am glad you were damn lucky in that regard, too. The feelings and emotions are readily apparent. I have a friend that perhaps fits this way. Known for 28 years, we were always there whenever someone had something big, but we can not speak for months on end. Yet when you reunite, everything is all the same.

In a way, despite having this semi-fixed connection influences more than meets the eye. I was there on his wedding, marrying a truly lovely Chinese microbiologist and enjoying Asian culture in general. Yet, despite keeping such things to myself, i find myself enjoying said culture equally the same in various ways.

Its that tangible connection that does not keep our lives tight, but rather, flexible - Connected by wire, we still end up meeting from time to time in a life's journey. So i get that feeling you had.

In regards to your friend's demise (Demise, i feel is too strong a word here, but the word i look for, i cannot find): Know that the road you traveled with him was the same one as his. But, like that aforementioned wire, you had to stop for gas. Your friend traveled onward. Questions may always remain, but solitude yourself with the knowledge that in the time your friend was among the physical life, he enjoyed your company as much as you enjoyed his. It never is your fault, and although i can't speak for his family,  i am sure they were grateful you were part of his life.

And frankly, that says more about you as a person than any one of us on the internet can say. My condolences, Jon.