POOGERS.wad [Final release]

On 2/14/2022 at 5:44 AM, Meowgi said:

Trailer

I feel like I just gazed into the mind of an absolute madman who did literally all the drugs.

A glorious example of the range of boom compatibility. Long live Poogers!!! 🐸🐸🐸

Edited by cannonball

• 2 weeks later...

Collisions spawn of pain.                                                                                                                                                                                                

• 2 weeks later...

POOGERS RC3.1 (link removed as of 02/06/2022)

bQc7JqE.png

Changelog!

Spoiler

Doing playtesting of own map considered way too OP, pleas nerf

- MAP29 - Fixed guaranteed softlock introduced after RC2 in a secret that only happens for UV, also tweaked a global "parameter" that should prevent voodoos from linedef skipping and potentially getting stuck, causing any kind of softlock

OP to be updated when @Meowgi is available

Spoiler

Much love to @SaladStream for being insane dedicated enough to want to do multiple playthroughs of the map on HNTR and UV and aiming for 100% completion, he has been a massive help for hunting down MAP29 bugs

NxsGJXX.png

Edited by deathz0r

Playing instructions:

1) Get the BFG

2) Drive a nail through the left mouse button

3) Aim in all directions and simulate seizure movements

• 3 weeks later...

POOGERS RC3.11 FOR WORKGROUPS (link removed as of 02/06/2022)

aeGd6rK.png

Changelog!

Spoiler

- MAP20 - Added two lost souls

- MAP29 - Several more fixes including being able to properly build in Platform Panic and a couple of regressions introduced in RC3/RC3.1, and a gameplay tweak somewhere

- MAP31 - 1st fight changed to 1 fight instead of 4 separate ones, 1st secret fight now has the same amount of Revs as RC2.. Kept the green armor. Yellow fight has been changed in the 2nd secret area and cheese removed. Added about 400 anti Cheese viles to the final fight also added some megas so the intended strat to kill the viles should be consistent

OP to be updated when @Meowgi sorts it out

This is likely to be the last RC before /idgames, and with that my current to-do list is as follows:

Spoiler

Create INTERPIC for MAP29

Create ENDOOM lump

Reinsert maps as some of the earlier maps had wonky merge jobs, as there's weird redundant BLOCKMAP lumps and other random crap (a compiled ACS script?!?!) that I have no idea where they came from

Fix at least one music credit in text file

Hope that MAP29 is (almost entirely) bug-free (except for that one extremely rare tic-dependant and state-dependant bug on voodoos getting stuck, which is a WONTFIX for me) now that at least three people have properly completed the map

Edited by deathz0r

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Remember when I said final release in that last post? Yeah.

POOGERS v1.1 (link removed as of 11/06/2022)

xL4k8Ua.gif

There was a few issues brought up and since there was a delay in a response from the /idgames upload, this is effectively a hotfix release which would only cause a desync if anyone had made a max demo of MAP29 that involved player movement input on two scrollers in secret/easter egg areas, and I don't see any demos of MAP29 existing :)

I've checked all existing demos and confirmed there is no desync for those. This version has also been uploaded to /idgames since there is currently no existing download link.

Changelog:

Spoiler
  • Fixed various cosmetic issues with MAP29 and properly applied friction to scrollers in two secret/easter egg areas
  • Properly attributed credit for Hoogers and HonkaGIGA textures in MAP22 to stackcat_
  • Add mention of MAP29 savegame corruption with Woof! in the text file that somehow got eaten up between edits

Edited by deathz0r

I'm proud to have contributed to this project with the Poogers player sprites! I had some help from @SkeletronMK666 who is a very talented spriter. He made the base head sprites for rotations, which are referenced from the Poogers face sprites made by the also extremely talented @Vortale. I then put everything together with GIMP and the result is one mean green Poogers marine!

POOGA1.png.4ed0e4ea9e38dd5d7570b4b83b7c2c00.png

Edited by Kaapeli47

3 hours ago, Kaapeli47 said:

I'm proud to have contributed to this project with the Poogers player sprites! I had some help from @SkeletronMK666 who is a very talented spriter. He made the base head sprites for rotations, which are referenced from the Poogers face sprites made by the also extremely talented @Vortale. I then put everything together with GIMP and the result is one mean green Poogers marine!

POOGA1.png.4ed0e4ea9e38dd5d7570b4b83b7c2c00.png

thanks for the acknowledgements kaapeli! good work putting those sprites btw. i never played poogers but will boot it up shortly.

I gained a notable physical injury when I played this and I can't finish, sorry.

Edited by NuMetalManiak

• 3 months later...

Chaos hordes of colors.Multi level.                                                                                                                                                             

Pgrs31x1624.zip                                                                                                                                                                                        

• 4 months later...

Just a heads-up: This mapset isn't exactly "Boom-Compatible". It should be "PrBoom+ Compatible". For example, Eternity Engine cannot play this mapset reliably due to bugs in Boom that MBF-derived ports fixed. Woof! apparently plays this mapset using its new compatibility level feature based on PrBoom+.

So if you were using another port besides zdoom-derived ports, that was "boom compatible", and noticed you were whisked away into a shame room on MAP01, this is why.

16 minutes ago, Csonicgo said:

Just a heads-up: This mapset isn't exactly "Boom-Compatible". It should be "PrBoom+ Compatible". For example, Eternity Engine cannot play this mapset reliably due to bugs in Boom that MBF-derived ports fixed. Woof! apparently plays this mapset using its new compatibility level feature based on PrBoom+.

So if you were using another port besides zdoom-derived ports, that was "boom compatible", and noticed you were whisked away into a shame room on MAP01, this is why.

Honest question, but doesn't that mean that Eternity's 'Boom-Compatible' mode isn't completely compatible with Boom? And that MAP01 functions perfectly by letting you know: "hey, nice you're playing this map set but it ain't gonna work correctly on what you're using right now"?

7 minutes ago, Peccatum Mihzamiz said:

Honest question, but doesn't that mean that Eternity's 'Boom-Compatible' mode isn't completely compatible with Boom? And that MAP01 functions perfectly by letting you know: "hey, nice you're playing this map set but it ain't gonna work correctly on what you're using right now"?

Eternity is, for the most part, boom-compatible. The real issue is that it's based on SMMU, which is based on MBF, which did fix a lot of Boom's bugs. The issue in this case is silent teleporters. I did find a topic about this bug, which seems to be a nuisance to mappers, but in POOGERS, it's used as an esoteric strictness check.

10 hours ago, Csonicgo said:

image.png.1e2918ba0d7010539fd54f70125dbbf0.png

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cwise103 said:

Playing on PrBoom+ and can't get past first level

Not sure you understood what you have to do in Map01, but all you have to do really is blow up yourself and wait for 2 minutes until the level ends on its own. Or just skip to the next map.

I see the playthroughs. Mine does not do that. There is no dialogue, just rests to same map. I know I could skip it but was wondering why it was doing this.

MAP01 is a test to make sure you've set the compatibility level to Boom explicitly. If you're playing with vanilla behavior, the scrolling floor special goes unused because it's a Boom feature. Play on anything more advanced and it'll cut the music and teleport you to a joke that tells you you're not on the proper compatibility level.