E3 2002 trailer - was the electro-rock music track ever found?

Fallout2Thrash

I remember viewing the trailer I've linked below on a CD from a magazine back in 2003 and being super stoked about the whole game, and the first music track (the industrial rock song specifically) really managed to pump me up. I sort of expected to find it in the full game, but to my surprise, it never plays anywhere, we only have the Tweaker main theme outside of ambient tracks.

I was really curious if anybody ever managed to get their hands on this industrial rock style track that starts at around 1:24? From the Alpha leak or anything like that.

To me, it sounds like something Trent Reznor from NIN would have produced, and I remember that he actually collaborated with id Software on the 2002 Alpha, providing sounds and ambient tracks. But I've never found this track anywhere since. And it must have been an isolated song that played without all the gameplay audio from the trailer, something produced by Trent I suppose.

It would be cool if anyone had any idea of the song's existence as an isolated track, somewhere on YouTube or anywhere else.

Daaamn, I can't believe you actually found these songs, I was almost 100% they were lost to the void. All this time I thought they must be Nine Inch Nails/Trent Reznor produced tracks because of the style, but I guess they were actually from a compilation of some sort? Songs you could find in various other trailers for movies and such?

What's weird is that according to the details in the YouTube description, these albums were only released in 2018, while id Software used the tracks back in 2002, so I guess they must have been produced as early as then and only available as licensed tracks, like for TV shows, trailers, etc. until 2018, when they could more easily be bought on Amazon Music for example.

It's really unbelievable that you found them, so thank you a lot for this! This could possibly be the first time these tracks were identified, so that's awesome.

Edited by Fallout2Thrash

How about the chorus music at the beginning, same source? There's also some ambient sounds/music during the narrator's part, but that sounds distinctly like the stuff id came up with for the game.

The chorus music is

The stuff during the narrator's part could be Trent Reznor. It sounds somewhat similar in style to the ID_LOGO_BED from the alpha.

I do believe I asked someone at id about this back in the day and the answer was that anything with a beat was NOT Reznor/from the game....but I may be confusing that with some public Q&A at this point :D

On 2/15/2022 at 9:50 PM, Fallout2Thrash said:

Daaamn, I can't believe you actually found these songs, I was almost 100% they were lost to the void. All this time I thought they must be Nine Inch Nails/Trent Reznor produced tracks because of the style, but I guess they were actually from a compilation of some sort? Songs you could find in various other trailers for movies and such?

What's weird is that according to the details in the YouTube description, these albums were only released in 2018, while id Software used the tracks back in 2002, so I guess they must have been produced as early as then and only available as licensed tracks, like for TV shows, trailers, etc. until 2018, when they could more easily be bought on Amazon Music for example.

You would be right there. Stuff like this from Immediate Music (But also X Ray Dog) is called Production Music. Basically, these groups produce a metric fuck ton of music and then license it for every genre out there.

Its the same with Pewdiepie's music tracks, by the way. A lot his stuff is production music from a pool of composers.

On 2/14/2022 at 1:39 PM, Shaviro said:

The 1:24 music is

The 2:20 music is

The latter was also featured on the danish equivalent of "Survivor".

On 2/17/2022 at 12:59 AM, Shaviro said:

The chorus music is

The stuff during the narrator's part could be Trent Reznor. It sounds somewhat similar in style to the ID_LOGO_BED from the alpha.

I do believe I asked someone at id about this back in the day and the answer was that anything with a beat was NOT Reznor/from the game....but I may be confusing that with some public Q&A at this point :D

Now all we need is the early trailer for E3 with only the instrumentals used.

Edited by Wadmodder Shalton