What's your way of making maps?

Assuming all goes well and im not having low inspiration/motivation, usually i just try to draw an area that sets up the theme of the map. This first area kinda determines how the map will be since pretty much everything after this is more or less based on it (such as the texturing, or the style of decorations).

After things are a bit chaotic and improvised. Usually i'll build areas towards a direction, do some progress on them and then build towards another direction from another previous area, i tend to just work on an area for a bit and then work on another one. This is a really unfocused style of mapping, but by having lots of areas pushing towards different directions at the same time a lot of ideas emerge out of just looking at the map at that point (ideas like "hey, wouldn't it be cool if this area connected towards this other area?", "this looks like a good place to have an arena or trap", "it would be great if this area unlocked this other area" and that sort of stuff), this goes on for a while and at some point when most of the map is developed i get more or less a general idea of what progression i want of the map, where i want to have setpieces or traps, or if one area could be optional or not, and at this point i just focus on finishing the map based on that rather than improvise. Another thing to note is that i don't do thing placement until the layout is done and you can run around the map and complete it, but i do add a few monsters before completing the layout (If im adding a setpiece or an arena, i place monsters to plan and test the arena around them and tweak it before calling it done, or if i need to test if an area is suitable for X monsters i also place them just to test them and tweak things as needed).

When the layout is all good and done thing placement goes next, adding ammo and monsters as i see fit, after a looong period of testing where i play the map over and over again (always withouth secrets) until im satisfied with how it plays. This balancing is usually for UV, with difficulty settings following next, usually after hearing some feedback about it

And after all that, the map is done, a lot of it it's unplanned, and a lot of ideas emerge as i go along which i guess it's not a good practice, but works for me heh

Here's my method. I've developed a whole-map approach as I find it's the best way to create a coherent and cohesive experience. Adding section by section leads to a linear designs that run on and on. For example, my current map E1M4 v09 of Endquest was uploaded at the begining of the action + staircase phase but I'm now nearing the end of texture + fine structure phase.

Add resources
Simple rough structure
Start + end
Keys + weapons (so I can imbed them into the structural design)
Action tags + staircases
Texture + fine structure
Aesthetic detail + decor
Lighting
Enemies + items (HMP)
Playtest (phase 1)
Enemy teleports (HMP)
Playtest (phase 2)
Difficulties implimemted
Playtest (phase 3)
Automap cleanup

Playtest (phase 4)

Bug fixes + alignment issues

Playtest (phase 5)

Playtest (phase 6)

My way of making maps?

1. Play wads

2. Get ideas from said wads

3. Start drawing map

4. Drink coffee

5. Blare metal music until neighbors get mad at you

6. Spend time making it look nice

7. Take breaks from mapping because your brain is melting from working on it for too long

8. Have people play it and give you feed back

9. Take the feed back from people and use it for map

10. throws your hands up and fuck it! we're not even half way there! lol

11 & 12. When ever it's done, it's done unless it's for a community project then that needs to be done asap.

When I make maps I tend to first construct and idea/concept of what the map will look like (Theme/dominant texture(s)), for example I recently built and tech base suspended in the void, I then tend to build the map organically whilst making sure the player/monsters have a few options of where they can move (aside from turret like monsters). In the end I want to feel happy with the layout/visuals/atmosphere before proceeding further.

When I proceed further I tend to factor in whether I want set-piece combat, if the answer is yes, then I allow space to create that set piece either as a branch of the central layout or entwined within it. Either way it will be built with the intention of holding the player whilst allow access for extra players without breaking the fight for the first arrival (I try to refrain from using doors for example).

Item placement is somewhat variable, I sometimes do everything after the layout is built, sometimes it is added as the layout is still under construction. All the while I will play test areas to make sure that it feels right to me.

I must confess over the past year I have gone through a period where I felt like I contributed more filler than anything substantial to projects (Not that this is a particularly bad thing), but I felt that I needed to make maps that leave more of an impact on the player (Hopefully). 
I guess my method feels like a blend of organised chaos (Where there isn’t much planning except for core vision that burns into my mind until the entire portrait is finished). 

1. Start making a megawad
  2. Realize that either your mapping skills are not enough or someone already beat you to the punch
  3. Have these leftover maps rot in your hard drive for years

In all seriousness, I just doodle around in the editor, maybe do some fucky shit, search up inspiration on Google Images.

I try to imagine a really strong image of the final map, then I try to map it out area by area. I thing I like to do, is that if a part of the map isn't as detailed as the others, I make it look better, until all the areas are at a desired detail level.

"i want to make a map"

gets a theme

"i need music"

gets music

"lines go brr"

and map's done, nothing complicated, although finding music is the only hard part.

that and when i stop working on them out of nowhere, but then i return to them, although i have not continued my experimental maps yet.

Edited by Archanhell

When I was a kid sometimes I would plan the maps out on paper first, but just the layout and tags and all that.  I never put on there what textures I would use, though.  I just imagined it and would remember it.  Other times I would just make it up as I went along.  But I stopped doing that a long time ago, now my maps are just made up as I go along.  Typically I'll do the layout first, then I'll add the enemies and such.  With one level I did, though, I stopped every 50 sectors and added enemies.  I check for bugs/mistakes as I go along, and will note anything that's not right as I play test it.

I just like to thinking to create a wad but never actually get around to doing anything.

But i'm planning to create 12-level wad.