The DWmegawad Club plays: Micro-Slaughter Community Project & Haste

Great! I already played first maps of both sets yesterday in anticipation of this result! I have an opinion on what difficulties I should choose as someone who is not well-versed in slaughter. Based on first map experience, UV is not viable for Haste, even HMP was painful (more on that later), but MSCP looked more viable.

I think I’ll settle for HMP for MSCP and HNTR for Haste, but what do you think?

27 minutes ago, RHhe82 said:

Great! I already played first maps of both sets yesterday in anticipation of this result! I have an opinion on what difficulties I should choose as someone who is not well-versed in slaughter. Based on first map experience, UV is not viable for Haste, even HMP was painful (more on that later), but MSCP looked more viable.

I think I’ll settle for HMP for MSCP and HNTR for Haste, but what do you think?

I think I'll do the same.  UV for MSCP is just nail bitingly difficult.  Though I'll likely do HNTR for both, just to make it an even experience.

Oh, def gonna join this one! MSCP is what first got me into slaughter, and Haste... I have an open score to settle. Not to mention it contains, in my humble opinion, Insane_Gazebo's finest work to date.

From my experience - save for one map, MSCP can be tackd on UV even by non devotees of the genre. Haste is, early maps aside, not any easier than big boys like Abandon and such, so gonna drop to a comfy HMP or even HNTR.

Edited by Thelokk

I just started dipping my toe into slaughter stuff after working my way up with the skill improvement thread, so this is perfect.  I feel like I wanna try UV on both and just drop down to HMP if necessary.  But I wanna see what these things can really throw at you.  Looking forward to trying this out!

3 minutes ago, Deadwing said:

As someone who's used to play Valiant, what would be the best difficult for me to handle these? D:

Reslly depends map to map, MSCP you can probably manage 90% of the maps on UV with some deaths; Haste, the final 5-6 maps at least I'd def suggest HMP.

Edited by Thelokk

Thanks to @dobu gabu maru for organising things in the best way and in advance. I actually started playing Haste first, but it was a hasty decision, I know. If the difficulty level of Micro Slaughter is more beginner-friendly, it is reasonable to start from there.

I do not think HMP matters so much in the first maps of Haste, but everybody (including the project lead) is saying that the last maps are really difficult on UV, so I suppose we should consider what we are being told.

I will be playing everything on HMP and on pistol start, as it should be done.

Edited by Book Lord

Wonderful month ahead. :)

Looking forward to seeing opinions on Firebug specifically, it might be my favorite Nirvana map. I'll be playing along as normal, but might also drop some light commentary about cool runs done/theorized for the wads, because they have quite a few.

The Elden Ring hype is cooling down, so I think I might spend a weekend playing those with latest version of Corruption Cards (and maybe Pandemonia for extra spiciness)

Everyone's talking about difficulties, so I'll say I'm taking on UV pistol start for all maps this month, just like the last four

5 minutes ago, NiGHTS108 said:

Everyone's talking about difficulties, so I'll say I'm taking on UV pistol start for all maps this month, just like the last four

Even MAP14 of MSCP? 

Can I come along? you kill all the stuff, I press the exit switch.

Can I just play the maps and upload them like:

1: MAP01 of MSCP and MAP01 of Haste

2: MAP02 of MSCP and MAP02 of Haste

Because the way it's listed right now is too confusing for my pea-brain :p

3 minutes ago, Bauul said:

I'm excited to hear everyone's thoughts on both MSCP and Haste! Especially those that don't normally play slaughter: both mapsets had an underlying goal of being an introduction to the genre (MSCP especially), so it'll be fun to hear if it succeeds for people who'd usually stay away from maps like this!

In terms of difficulty settings, I can at least speak for MSCP: if you are a decently seasoned Doom player UV should be relatively accessible for most of the maps. There is one notable difficulty spike (Map 14, but it is still relatively consistently beatable once you have the strategy down), but otherwise they're not preposterously challenging. However, HMP and HNTR/ITYTD are fully implemented (HMP is my difficulty of choice for example).

I'll aim to provide a little commentary on at least the first few MSCP maps as we play along. However on April 8th my wife and I are having our first baby, so whether I have brain-space to focus on anything other than sleep deprivation after that remains to be seen!

Congratulations!

And yeah, MSCP was my first foray into slaughter and it was pretty helpful in learning the ropes (a part 2 is long overdue imo). Haste, on the other hand, can be pretty punishing past a certain threshold. 

Edited by Thelokk

I have played both of these sets before and I love them, I am excited to join for this month.

13 minutes ago, Bauul said:

both mapsets had an underlying goal of being an introduction to the genre (MSCP especially)

MSCP was my introduction to the slaughter genre and it was not only a great expeience, but it is also a nice beginner wad a it's not too difficult compared to most other slaughter wads (outside of 14) and is very helpful to learn how to tackle these kinds of maps

16 minutes ago, Bauul said:

on April 8th my wife and I are having our first baby, so whether I have brain-space to focus on anything other than sleep deprivation after that remains to be seen!

Congratulations to both of you!

27 minutes ago, Thelokk said:

Even MAP14 of MSCP? 

Can I come along? you kill all the stuff, I press the exit switch.

You got it!

Okay then, this should be fun.

I'll play through Nugget Doom, on I'm Too Young To Die, continuous with saves when needed.

This will be fun :-)

1 hour ago, Bauul said:

However on April 8th my wife and I are having our first baby, so whether I have brain-space to focus on anything other than sleep deprivation after that remains to be seen!

Congratulations in advance!!!

1 hour ago, Paf said:

Can I just play the maps and upload them like:

1: MAP01 of MSCP and MAP01 of Haste

2: MAP02 of MSCP and MAP02 of Haste

Because the way it's listed right now is too confusing for my pea-brain :p

If it helps to have it laid out by day, I believe Dobu is envisioning the order like this:

• 1st: MSCP map01 and map02
  • 2nd: MSCP map03 and map04
  • 3rd: MSCP map05
  • 4th: MSCP map06
  • 5th: MSCP map07
  • 6th: MSCP map08
  • 7th: MSCP map09
  • 8th: MSCP map10
  • 9th: MSCP map11
  • 10th: MSCP map12
  • 11th: MSCP map13
  • 12th: MSCP map14
  • 13th: MSCP map15 and map31
  • 14th: MSCP map16 and map17

• 15th: Haste map01
  • 16th: Haste map02
  • 17th: Haste map03
  • 18th: Haste map04
  • 19th: Haste map05
  • 20th: Haste map06
  • 21st: Haste map07
  • 22nd: Haste map08
  • 23rd: Haste map09
  • 24th: Haste map10
  • 25th: Haste map11
  • 26th: Haste map12
  • 27th: Haste map13
  • 28th: Haste map14
  • 29th: Haste map15 and map31
  • 30th: Haste map16 and map17

1 minute ago, Bauul said:

If it helps to have it laid out by day, I believe Dobu is envisioning the order like this:

• 1st: MSCP map01 and map02

Yeah, that helps a lot. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Bauul said:

I'll aim to provide a little commentary on at least the first few MSCP maps as we play along. However on April 8th my wife and I are having our first baby, so whether I have brain-space to focus on anything other than sleep deprivation after that remains to be seen!

Congratulations, and hopefully everything goes well on that front!

Gonna be writing some stuff in here. Nothing too harsh, Hurt Me Plenty at all times.

1 hour ago, Bauul said:

However on April 8th my wife and I are having our first baby, so whether I have brain-space to focus on anything other than sleep deprivation after that remains to be seen!

Congratulations! I'm sure that'll be the true test of handling stress and pressure we cultivate when playing Doom ;^)

In any case, I'm very interested in hearing developer commentary track. As a novice with regards to slaughter (I'll elaborate on that more tomorrow) I think I'll try and go into more detail on the my approach to surviving the encounters instead of only nitpicking on design choices. (Although based on what I've seen so far, I'd only be singing praises for the whole of the month).

2 hours ago, Bauul said:

I'm excited to hear everyone's thoughts on both MSCP and Haste! Especially those that don't normally play slaughter: both mapsets had an underlying goal of being an introduction to the genre (MSCP especially), so it'll be fun to hear if it succeeds for people who'd usually stay away from maps like this!

In terms of difficulty settings, I can at least speak for MSCP: if you are a decently seasoned Doom player UV should be relatively accessible for most of the maps. There is one notable difficulty spike (Map 14, but it is still relatively consistently beatable once you have the strategy down), but otherwise they're not preposterously challenging. However, HMP and HNTR/ITYTD are fully implemented (HMP is my difficulty of choice for example).

Congratulations and best of luck. Just enjoy the experience of being parents and let the whole life balance sort itself out in its own time. Honestly I cannot remember my life without my son (Who is now 3 years old).

Anyway I am looking forward to getting stuck into these. I will try to stick to UV, bring on the pain. :)

9 hours ago, Book Lord said:

Thanks to @dobu gabu maru for organising things in the best way and in advance.

Bauul was actually the one to offer the solid advice, and I'm glad he did because I would've put Haste first too! Here's to hoping we get some slaughter-shy folks jumping in here with us

11 hours ago, Bauul said:

I tried. Made it to MAP03 after dying many many times in MAP02 and almost giving up. Reading comments about UV being manageable for non-devotees is a bit depressing (I'm on ITYTD...), and its description as a casual, beginner's slaughter reinforces my decades-old impression that slaughter maps are simply not for me. I don't know if there's any point pushing on with this attitude. I must say that both maps look extremely nice, I love the unusual colours and visuals, especially the very abstract look of MAP02.

Edited by brick

1 hour ago, brick said:

I tried. Made it to MAP03 after dying many many times in MAP02 and almost giving up. Reading comments about UV being manageable for non-devotees is a bit depressing (I'm on ITYTD...), and its description as a casual, beginner's slaughter reinforces my decades-old impression that slaughter maps are simply not for me. I don't know if there's any point pushing on with this attitude. I must say that both maps look extremely nice, I love the unusual colours and visuals, especially the very abstract look of MAP02.

I’ll post my commentary later this evening when I’m back home, but I was struggling with… well, with one level yesterday and another two days ago, and it’s painful to afterwards watch Decino or someone just breeze through something on a higher difficulty and tell it’s nothing special.

Also, I found that once I figured how to do some segment on a lower difficulty, a higher difficulty run suddenly turns more feasible. This applies at least to the first two maps of MSCP.

Well, here it's already the 1st and I woke up early, so here we go!

Spoiler

MSCP map01 - Fire in Your Eyes by Dreadopp

UV / saveless / 100% monsters / 1 secret

What a nice start! Proof that small does not necessarily mean visually simple, Dreadopp's map is intricate with detail and panoramas as it is straightforward in gameplay. After a few warmup fights against mostly imps, spectres and knights (I have to say I really like when a slaughter map includes incidental encounters) we are greeted to our first real 'fight' - which is quintessential slaughter, although on a smaller scale: press a button, watch the before empty arena swarm with enemies (imps and BoH). Get out of that alcove immediately! They will pinch you if they can.

Another rather easy surprise trap, and we're already at the last fight. Revenants and more revenants, but you can get a helping hand! Switches in the alcoves will reveal mancubi and, while there is plenty of ammo to go around, infighting is your friend.

And that's it! Super short even by MSCP standards, but slick and, most of all, metal as f**k. I mean, listen to that MIDI! As I mentioned, it's compact but it has all a slaughter map requires, in the right places. Be warned that the monster count jumps up dramatically from HMP to UV.

MSCP map02 - Viridescent Synapse by Bauul

UV / saveless / 100% monsters / no secrets

Another good one, and another small-scale take on some tropes of slaughter. First of all, the visuals - absolutely gorgeous, and definitely in line with contemporary slaughter trends, where the name of the game is 'feeling tiny? good!'. I mean, either you go Ribbiks neon, like this map does, or you go brutalist nightmare like Insane_Gazebo. One could argue that slaughter maps could use some aesthetic divesifying, but that's another story for another time.

Even smaller than MAP01, MAP02 is only two fights. The first one is the first instance of mandatory infighting - you simply won't get past the cyberdemons, unless you use the them and the horde of HK against each other. It's tricky, and I did die a couple times, but you can do it! Just don't get too close to the knights...

Then, past a way too cool gate (I'm assuming it's some kind of voodoo doll trick, like the map's lighting) we're off to the second and final fight. A horde of demons in front and to the sides, and some BoH behind. Sounds simple, right? Well, once I knew of a map called DEAD simple... and you'll sure be soon dead if you don't find a way out of these two mobs' deadly embrace. Just don't get cornered - I suggest clearing one side of pinkies with some occasional switch to the other, while you maneuver the herd so it's in line with the BoHs' attacks. Make them your meat shield! Soon you'll be trampling their corpses, and able to enjoy one last look around before heading to MAP03, where things will get (relatively) serious...

Edited by Thelokk