128 Linedefs, 64 Things - A Community Project [1.3.3, finally]

Just now, Pegleg said:

@Frost-Core

I would like to claim a spot. Map 09 please.

I have 1 question: when you say "a maximum of 64 things in the map," does that mean no more than 64 things in the map total or no more than 64 things in the map on a given difficulty level?

no more than 64 thins in the map total, also you claim the spot!

I've ended up in slot 23 for the last three projects I have done, so I'll take MAP23 if it's available.

Just now, Large Cat said:

I've ended up in slot 23 for the last three projects I have done, so I'll take MAP23 if it's available.

Sure! also you should be named large human

Finished it.

My maps often are too hard or slaughterish but this time i spent some time balancing it specifically for a map 02, anyway's enjoy.

-Title: Lockjaw
-Build time: 4 Hours
-Midi: Rush by Ashes Are Eternal
-Slot: Map 02
-Tested: Nugget doom, Crispy doom and Gzdoom
-101 Linedefs
-47 Things

Download

Name: Destroyed Base, download: 128L64T_KW__2__Destroyed-Base.zip
Slot: map20
Format: Doom 2, -complevel 2
Linedefs: 128
Things: 64
Monsters: 28
MIDI: Submission by Jimmy, from Overload
Difficulty Settings: UV only
COOP: Nope
Deathmatch: Noppp
Tested in: dsda-doom 0.24.3, -complevel 2
Build Time: a few hours on and off

Description: Drew some shapes, then decided to turn it into a ruined industrial/earth style base after landing on some particular texture choices.

Screens:

Spoiler

doom384.png.d844859d9c3bf120d6278f74b15613b5.png
doom389.png.58f59bd6dc6375c2d32922f3c4f31fe5.png

Edited by knifeworld
noted the map slot

11 hours ago, Frost-Core said:

Attention Mappers :

There is a new rule, if you have very limited space, and you can't place 64 things, then do something under.

Uh... I'm pretty sure a good amount of people would normally already assume that 64 was merely the max amount of things allowed anyway.

At least, I thought this was already the case, not a new rule. If you're clarifying something, that's actually not a new rule at all, you're just making things clearer.

Plus you can stack things anyway.

So I finished the map itself.

Depending if I have time or not, I may compose a custom music track for the map and upload a newer version.

But here's the map currently:

-Title: Malicious Intent
-Build time: ~1 Hour
-Midi: Mesmarine - Mark Klem
-Slot: MAP21
-Skills: All implimented
-Par: 1:20
-Tested: Chocolate Doom, Crispy doom, DSDA Doom and GZDoom
-128 Linedefs
-64 Things

Download

Note: I'd like to bring up that I played the uploaded MAP20 map, and that specific map will not work before this map because of it's death exit.

Edited by Arsinikk
Added par time

Here's my submission—and my second map ever!

MAP24: "Stay With Us, Aniki!!"

Link: Mega.nz

Screenshots:

Spoiler

766025152_Screenshot2022-04-27011502.png.5adb12e6764d743d8e4b6f8e02a25550.png

1566513040_Screenshot2022-04-27011729.png.32836effa86678c46c9bee78b58b063d.png

1060892996_Screenshot2022-04-27013444.png.3478524405736937d9a52cfff97d99a6.png

Info:

Spoiler

- Title: "Stay With Us, Aniki!!"

- Song: "Stay With Me" - Miki Matsubara

- Tested engines: Chocolate Doom, Crispy Doom, GZDoom, PrBoom+ (-complevel 2)

- Stats: 128 Linedefs, 64 Things (29 Enemies, 3 Items)

I borrowed heavily from "The Chasm" (cuz "lol MAP24 lmao"), including the same weapon availability.

I hope the quality is up to the standards of the other contributors. And to anyone who plays my map: Thank you, and I hope you enjoy.

(Also, @Frost-Core, in the OP you put Large-Cat down as MAP24 instead of MAP23.)

UV-Max Demo: RancidSam_dsda-doom_stay.zip

Edited by Rancid Sam
Update download link; added a demo.

Here is my Submition, it is Map08.

By making the Layout i've noticed that i can stay even within 64 Linedefs.
So 64 Things and 64 Linedefs.

Difficulties are implemented.

Tested with Choclate Doom.

Unholy-Zwiebel-64.zip

It is not pretty, but it unfolds like an Onion and could you make Cry.
(Zwiebel = Onion in german)

I am not sure if i should unleash the Cyberdemon at the End or let him stay fixed.

Could also be a bit to much Amo.

Edited by Azuris

Here is my submission for map18: roots_20220428_0113_beta1.zip (difficulties are implemented)

-Title: Roots
-Build time: 6 Hours
-Midi: Baron's Province - James Paddock (from Speed of Doom)
-Slot: MAP18
-Tested: DSDA and GZDoom
-128 Linedefs
-64 Things

Screenshots:

Spoiler

doom46.png.a049fbed83ab54b0a6f0761697b1d6e5.pngdoom49.png.b39ea9926917fafbdc78030ebacf37a2.png

Edited by CblBOPOTKA

9 hours ago, Rancid Sam said:

Here's my submission—and my second map ever!

MAP24: "Stay With Us, Aniki!!"

Link: Mega.nz

Screenshots:

Reveal hidden contents

766025152_Screenshot2022-04-27011502.png.5adb12e6764d743d8e4b6f8e02a25550.png

1566513040_Screenshot2022-04-27011729.png.32836effa86678c46c9bee78b58b063d.png

1060892996_Screenshot2022-04-27013444.png.3478524405736937d9a52cfff97d99a6.png

Info:

Reveal hidden contents

- Title: "Stay With Us, Aniki!!"

- Song: "Stay With Me" - Miki Matsubara

- Tested engines: Chocolate Doom, Crispy Doom, GZDoom, PrBoom+ (-complevel 2)

- Stats: 128 Linedefs, 64 Things (29 Enemies, 3 Items)

I borrowed heavily from "The Chasm" (cuz "lol MAP24 lmao"), including the same weapon availability.

I hope the quality is up to the standards of the other contributors. And to anyone who plays my map: Thank you, and I hope you enjoy.

(Also, @Frost-Core, in the OP you put Large-Cat down as MAP24 instead of MAP23.)

Thank you!

Just finished playing all the WADs posted so-far on UV (didn't UV-Max them all, but got 100% Kills for most.) Thank you to all the creators!

My favorites so far are MAP05 and MAP11, for different reasons. I look forward to seeing the rest of the contributions!

On 4/27/2022 at 3:01 AM, Arsinikk said:

So I finished the map itself.

Depending if I have time or not, I may compose a custom music track for the map and upload a newer version.

But here's the map currently:

-Title: Malicious Intent
-Build time: ~1 Hour
-Midi: Mesmarine - Mark Klem
-Slot: MAP21
-Tested: Chocolate Doom, Crispy doom, DSDA Doom and GZDoom
-128 Linedefs
-64 Things

Download

Note: I'd like to bring up that I played the uploaded MAP20 map, and that specific map will not work before this map because of it's death exit.

Here's an update that uses a regular exit instead: 128L64T_KW__2__Destroyed-Base update 280422.zip  Ty for the feedback.
I'm kind of addicted to using death exits lately but perhaps I should keep them to personal projects lol.

4 hours ago, knifeworld said:

Here's an update that uses a regular exit instead: 128L64T_KW__2__Destroyed-Base update 280422.zip  Ty for the feedback.
I'm kind of addicted to using death exits lately but perhaps I should keep them to personal projects lol.

The only thing about the death exit in your stage that bothered me was the Megasphere, like, right before it. Going from 40% to 200% just to find a death exit was awkward. However, moving the exit into that alcove also made the Revenant fight much harder and forced me to re-evaluate it. I found this version of the map to be harder overall.

That said I don't think anything's making MAP21 easier. It takes me a dozen tries in a row before I can get a clear (pistol start UV, ofc), and even then I think it's only because I get good damage and movement RNG in the first phase.

5 hours ago, knifeworld said:

Generally, I don't have a problem with death exits... Although in this case being a community project, death exits would need to be agreed upon between the mappers. And obviously, with the beginning of my map starting on a -20 damage floor, a death exit before would be instant death on continuous play.

I tried the new version, and it is very similar than before. I mean obviously with a non-death exit. I was curious how you would have to change the map since a death exit doesn't require a linedef, but it seems like your solution works. If I had any minor criticism, I would say that it's not entirely clear where to go after hitting the yellow switch. I say this is minor, since the map is so small that players will figure it out eventually.

Originally, I had 2 versions of map21. I had the original one (which I submitted) and I also had a nerfed version, since I thought my original map21 might be too difficult... But since I played your map20, I decided that my nerfed version was too easy compared to your map, and so I went with my original.

57 minutes ago, Rancid Sam said:

That said I don't think anything's making MAP21 easier. It takes me a dozen tries in a row before I can get a clear (pistol start UV, ofc), and even then I think it's only because I get good damage and movement RNG in the first phase.

Sorry if you think it's too hard. Honestly I don't find it too difficult. It's all about crowd control and luring enemies away to create space to move around. My goal with the map was to create an 128 line / 64 thing map that was challenging. If you'd like I could upload a demo/post a video of my strategy for beating the map.

Edit: Here's a quick demo of map21 I just recorded. I play pretty garbage, but I did beat it first try today: demo.lmp

Edited by Arsinikk

3 hours ago, Arsinikk said:

Sorry if you think it's too hard. Honestly I don't find it too difficult. It's all about crowd control and luring enemies away to create space to move around. My goal with the map was to create an 128 line / 64 thing map that was challenging. If you'd like I could upload a demo/post a video of my strategy for beating the map.

I would be very interested in hearing your strategy! I'm not great with Doom 2's "tougher" enemies (Heavies, Revs, and Arches), so I'm always curious to see how to handle them in different scenarios.

Also, I think it's the 20%-damaging floor that gets me the most. I can fade the first wave projectiles well enough, but I have troubles keeping lanes clear to get through the horde and away from the Super Nukage; that's why I think I have to rely on RNG to make enemies gently caress me while the floor bites on my balls.

Edit: Just watched the demo; your start is a beat-for-beat how I start, but I only get the Pain Elementals to fuck-off about 1 in every 4 attempts (I might be accidentally aggroing them with the Super Shotty?) Your Wave 2 however was comPLETEly different from mine...

Spoiler

I had no idea those Arches would ambush you, so I was fighting both at the same time (or just the one if I could 1-shot the other with the BFG fast enough.) And I'm usually out of ammo by the time I get to the last Arch, so I end-up Berserk punching it every time, which is the highlight of the map for me.

Edit2: Demo of MAP21 (my first ever demo!)

Edited by Rancid Sam
I don't want to double post.

33 minutes ago, Rancid Sam said:

Just watched the demo; your start is a beat-for-beat how I start, but I only get the Pain Elementals to fuck-off about 1 in every 4 attempts (I might be accidentally aggroing them with the Super Shotty?) Your Wave 2 however was comPLETEly different from mine...

This would be my advice for beating MAP21:

Spoiler

First of all, I'd advise on alerting the enemies on one side of the arena, so that you can lure the enemies over to one side and then move around them with space on the other. That's what I meant by this map is all about crowd control and not being sandwiched.

Then I tend to try and get the Pain Elementals to infight a little bit with the revenants, and then when they are distracted to try to delete them with the rocket launcher ASAP. Then I SSG the left over Lost Souls since they can be unpredictable while circle strafing around the arena. You can also use the middle pillar to absorb the Revenant rockets.

Also I tend to almost completely ignore that the beginning floor is damaging and just try to circle strafe and weave around the Pain Elementals and Revenants enough to grab the rocket launcher. The 20 damage floor isn't too damaging when 1) you are continuously moving and 2) there are so many medikits in the arena already.

As for my wave 2... Idk why but I completely forgot I had the BFG lmao. Usually I just bfg the pinkies. You can go all in and alert both archviles, although I'd advise on saving the BFG shot for the teleporting archvile if you do that.

As for why I didn't berserk the last archvile... I actually recorded this demo on an older version of the map that had shells there instead of a berserk. I changed it later cuz 1) berserking archviles is fun and 2) in case players ran out of ammo, I didn't want players to have to pistol the archvile to death.

Edited by Arsinikk

uhm is map 22 still available?

i feel like showing which slots are available would be more intuitive than seeing what slots are taken

Edited by Luleta

If nobody wants to, i would also like to make a second more classic one.

Can i do 25?

Just now, Azuris said:

If nobody wants to, i would also like to make a second more classic one.

Can i do 25?

Yes! oh my only 1 slot left then!

Just now, RedBoule said:

So apparently there is a slot left, I don't know which one but I would like to claim it :D

its map 30. so take it!

5 minutes ago, Frost-Core said:

its map 30. so take it!

Do I have to make a traditionnal icon of sin for this? Can I just make a normal level with romero's head at the end? Because i've never done one before and I don't feel like trying it out.

Just now, RedBoule said:

Do I have to make a traditionnal icon of sin for this? Can I just make a normal level with romero's head at the end? Because i've never done one before and I don't feel like trying it out.

You can do cyberdemons instead.