128 Linedefs, 64 Things - A Community Project [1.3.3, finally]

So I went through and played all the maps that we currently have continuous (or mostly continuous) in Chocolate Doom. I have to say the megawad is really fun so far!

Here are my overall thoughts/issues I found while playing the current beta in Chocolate Doom:

• @Frost-Core MAP04 - pretty minor nitpick, but I think it's weird to give the player the BFG this early in the megawad. I would change it out with another weapon since getting the BFG this early in the megawad pretty much makes all the early maps super easy.
  • @dotQLL MAP05 - not a big deal, but you can see the plasma through the wall in Chocolate Doom. it's just how the vanilla engine works. To hide the sprites, there would have to be another sector in front of it.
    Spoiler

128l64t-map04.jpg

• @YMB MAP06 - exit sign has a tutti-frutti. Can easily be fixed by changing the exit texture offset from (56,15) to (56,0). I can do this for you, if you want.
    Spoiler

128l64t-map06.jpg

• @Pegleg MAP09 - I tried the new version of the map and it's really good! Thank for taking Luleta's and my comments into account. I overall think the map is better now! Thumbs up!
  • @knifeworld MAP10 - you already know this but just showing all the beautiful tutti-fruttis.
    Spoiler

128l64t-map10-1.jpg
    128l64t-map10-2.jpg
    128l64t-map10-3.jpg

• @CblBOPOTKA MAP18 - extremely bad tutti-frutti. Result from using step1 midtexture with a negative vertical offset. I honestly couldn't find a solution except from removing the step4 midtexture altogether. Also two torches are too close to a sector that they float in the air.
    Spoiler

128l64t-map18-1.jpg128l64t-map18-2.jpg128l64t-map18-3.jpg128l64t-map18-4.jpg128l64t-map18-5.jpg

• @knifeworld MAP20 - lol more beautiful tutti-fruttis!
    Spoiler

128l64t-map20-1.jpg
    128l64t-map20-2.jpg
    128l64t-map20-3.jpg

• @gabirupee MAP29 - I like where this map is going, but I think it's a little too mean. I didn't seem to have enough ammo to deal with the cyberdemon and the archviles. I think adding a big cell where the BFG is, would fix the ammo situation.
  • RedBoule MAP30 - I finally beat map30. The main problem was that I was too focused on getting 100% kills (which may be possible, but idk). If you ignore getting 100% kills the map is actually pretty fun, and the ending is very cathartic. Great job!
Edited by Arsinikk

Everyone, I am posting an updated version of the beta:
128L64T CP (Beta 1.3)

This version includes a vanilla compat version of MAP14, and new versions of MAP09 and MAP29.

Added Paf's MAP28 to Beta 1.3 + dehacked name + CWILV graphic.

It also includes an embed DEHACKED lump based off the deh file @Luleta created. The embedded lump also includes a boom [STRINGS] section with the full names of the maps for source ports that support it. An external deh file is included for use only with Vanilla DOS Doom and Chocolate Doom.

(Also some minor edits have been made the the deh file including: map01 is now "1: Mast Wave Hike", map13 is now "13: Berserk Opening", and by Codename_Delta's request for the meme: "15: Garden Gunfire")

And now...

I am setting some deadlines.

IF YOU ARE STILL INTERESTED IN DOING A MAP FOR THE PROJECT, PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS THREAD BY JULY 1ST, else we will view your map as forfeit and consider your mapslot open to others.

Maps still not finished:

If you are still interested in doing a map for this project, once you respond to the thread, you would have until JULY 15TH to finish your map.

Edited by Arsinikk
updated map03 to NaZa.

6 minutes ago, Arsinikk said:

128L64T CP (Beta 1.3)

This version includes a vanilla compat version of MAP14, and new versions of MAP09 and MAP29.

It also includes an embed DEHACKED lump based off the deh file @Luleta created. The embedded lump also includes a boom [STRINGS] section with the full names of the maps for source ports that support it. An external deh file is included for use only with Vanilla DOS Doom and Chocolate Doom.

(Also some minor edits have been made the the deh file including: map01 is now "1: Mast Wave Hike", map13 is now "13: Berserk Opening", and by Codename_Delta's request for the meme: "15: Garden Gunfire")

And now...

IF YOU ARE STILL INTERESTED IN DOING A MAP FOR THE PROJECT, PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS THREAD BY JULY 1ST, else we will view your map as forfeit and consider your mapslot open to others.

Maps still not finished:

If you are still interested in doing a map for this project, once you respond to the thread, you would have until JULY 15TH to finish your map.

forgot to post, it's finished. let me post it rq

53 minutes ago, Paf said:
  • Title: mappersblock.wad
  •  Midi: FreeDoom II D_RUNNIN (MAP01)
  •  Slot: MAP28

Download

@Paf Just a quick question, is your map called "mappersblock.wad" or like "Mapper's Block"?

Also, I'll remove you from the unfinished maps list. Thanks!

@Arsinikk I am still interested in submitting a map for the project. I have something in progress that will certainly be done by July 15th. Thank you for clarifying a deadline.

Minor update:

I've added map28 to beta 1.3, so if you've downloaded it before, you may wanna redownload! Thanks! :)

2 hours ago, Arsinikk said:

@Paf Just a quick question, is your map called "mappersblock.wad" or like "Mapper's Block"?

Also, I'll remove you from the unfinished maps list. Thanks!

"mappersblock.wad"

6 hours ago, Arsinikk said:

128L64T CP (Beta 1.3)

And now...

Maps still not finished:

Yes........

Thanks.

12 hours ago, Arsinikk said:

MAP06

•   Hide contents

128l64t-map06.jpg

- exit sign has a tutti-frutti. Can easily be fixed by changing the exit texture offset from (56,15) to (56,0). I can do this for you, if you want.

Just fixed and reuploaded, thanks!

12 hours ago, Arsinikk said:

Maps still not finished:

Apologies, thought I was given the 03 slot in early June. Can someone confirm that happened or am I tripping? :P

I had work for college and finals but I should be gucci if I do in fact have the 03 slot - should be done by Thursday

Edited by NaZa

1 hour ago, NaZa said:

Apologies, thought I was given the 03 slot in early June. Can someone confirm that happened or am I tripping? :P

I had work for college and finals but I should be gucci if I do in fact have the 03 slot - should be done by Thursday

if you are still interested thats all that matters really :^D

and yes thou hath been blessed by the 3rd slot.

14 hours ago, Arsinikk said:

@dotQLL MAP05 - not a big deal, but you can see the plasma through the wall in Chocolate Doom. it's just how the vanilla engine works. To hide the sprites, there would have to be another sector in front of it.

Reveal hidden contents

128l64t-map04.jpg

IDK if you noticed but this was already addressed in the updated version. The version in the current WAD is the old version. Download

Edited by dotQLL

13 hours ago, Arsinikk said:

128L64T CP (Beta 1.3)

And now...

Maps still not finished:

Thanks! i'll update the page.

EDIT : page is updated! also one reminder, try adding the dehacked file into the wad as a lump and naming it DEHACKED, it makes it so you don't need the patch, its in the wad

Edited by Frost-Core

3 hours ago, YMB said:

Just fixed and reuploaded, thanks!

Thanks a bunch!

2 hours ago, NaZa said:

My bad, I was just pulling from the list that was on the OP. You know how crazy long and convoluted this thread has become. Sorry bout that. Also thanks for the update! Also i've uploaded the previous post to say that map03 belongs to you. :)

1 hour ago, dotQLL said:

IDK if you noticed but this was already addressed in the updated version. The version in the current WAD is the old version. Download

My bad. I'll take a look at the new version. I was using whatever was considered the latest version at the time (on the OP). It's possible it didn't include your latest update. Sorry bout that.

1 hour ago, Frost-Core said:

EDIT : page is updated! also one reminder, try adding the dehacked file into the wad as a lump and naming it DEHACKED, it makes it so you don't need the patch, its in the wad

Couple clarifications.

1. I did add dehacked into the wad as a lump called DEHACKED.
  2. You still want to include a separate DEH file for Vanilla Doom, since it cannot read DEHACKED lumps. It is common practice to do this for vanilla megawads.
  3. The dehacked lump added the wad file is actually different and includes a boom [STRINGS] section to include the full names of the maps for Boom supported ports and like Crispy Doom. (If this section was in the external dehacked, it would be unreadable by the DOS dehacked patcher, that's why it's ONLY in the embedded dehacked lump)
  4. The only ports that need to use the external DEH file are Vanilla Doom and Chocolate Doom. Other ports do not need the DEH file. It's fine to load it, but it won't do anything, since it will just read the embedded DEHACKED lump.
Edited by Arsinikk

Update for MAP18: Roots v1.1 - download

changes:

Spoiler

- removed step1 midtex that breaks chocolate-doom renderer
- torches are now static at their positions

Here's another update to the beta:
128L64T CP (Beta 1.3.1)

Includes updates/fixes for MAP05, MAP06 and MAP18!

Apparently the tutti-frutti was so bad in MAP18, that it actually made Vanilla/Chocolate Doom crash when you tried to warp via arguments to the map!

Also in case you missed it, there is now a MAP28 from Paf.

Thanks to all the mappers updating their maps!

Edited by Arsinikk

19 hours ago, Arsinikk said:

Sorry about the wait. I was away from home for days with no internet access.

I'm back.

2 minutes ago, Nikku4211 said:

Sorry about the wait. I was away from home for days with no internet access.

I'm back.

No worries. So I take it that you are still interested in doing both your mapslots (MAP16 + MAP31)?

Just now, Arsinikk said:

No worries. So I take it that you are still interested in doing both your mapslots (MAP16 + MAP31)?

Yes.

Sorry for the double post, I want everyone watching this thread to know that since I am running out of time and too busy, I am forfeiting my map slots.

19 hours ago, Nikku4211 said:

Sorry for the double post, I want everyone watching this thread to know that since I am running out of time and too busy, I am forfeiting my map slots.

Oof

51 minutes ago, Codename_Delta said:

Oof

I'll take the MAP16 slot! The deadline is still July 15th, right?

3 hours ago, YMB said:

I'll take the MAP16 slot! The deadline is still July 15th, right?

Yea the deadline I proposed was July 15th.

23 hours ago, Nikku4211 said:

Sad that you are too busy, but thanks for letting us know!

On 6/24/2022 at 3:35 AM, Arsinikk said:

Ok, I'm still interested

Ok here's an updated list of maps left:

• MAP03 - NaZa (map WIP)
  • MAP12 - SilverMiner (map WIP)
  • MAP16 - YMB (map WIP)
  • MAP17 - @PasokonDeacon
  • MAP23 - Large Cat (map WIP)
  • MAP31 - NinjaDelphox (map WIP)

The only mapper we haven't heard from is @PasokonDeacon.

Please let us know by the end of day tomorrow if you are still interested, or your map slot will be freed up for someone else to fill.

The rest of y'all have until July 15th to do your maps.
Good luck and happy mapping! :D

24 minutes ago, NinjaDelphox said:

Made this in ~20 minutes, music is Tempter by Mark Klem

WildWest.zip

Ha, i did it.
So its me proven^^