Angdoom - An Angband-style DOOM Random Map Generator

32 and 64-bit Windows builds now available at https://github.com/dashodanger/angdoom/releases

This is the Angdoom level generator found at http://interreality.org/~tetron/technology/angdoom/, with the bare minimum of tweaks needed for it to compile without error and not require the libggi dependency.

USAGE (from Windows GUI/File Explorer)

Double-click angdoom.exe

USAGE (from a terminal/command prompt)

angdoom.exe

This will produce a file called output.wad in the same directory. There are no command-line options. Also, you will need to use a nodebuilder or a source port capable of generating its own nodes (The *ZDoom family, EDGE-Classic, EDGE and possibly others)

Capture.png

Edited by dasho

1 hour ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

I'm a bit ignorant - what makes this much different from SLIGE and the like?

This uses the same routines that Angband does to generate its overworld maps, but translates them into something that you can navigate and play within Doom (Doom II specifically). 

At its current stage I'd say it would make a good generator of traditionally (although the word is overused these days) roguelike maps to serve as a base for other content. I would like to expand on it, but the current license is a bit dicey in that it only permits copying and distribution, and not explicitly modification.

Edited by dasho

As a big fan of both roguelikes and Doom this is definitely intriguing. Might make a good base for generating a layout for more adventure/exploration-focused maps. Doesn't really fit the style I'm working in at the moment, but I'll have to see what I can do with it at some point!

EDIT: Actually, wait, -- a question: does this just generate rooms and corridors or does it wind up placing monsters too?

Edited by tsathoggua

9 minutes ago, tsathoggua said:

As a big fan of both roguelikes and Doom this is definitely intriguing. Might make a good base for generating a layout for more adventure/exploration-focused maps. Doesn't really fit the style I'm working in at the moment, but I'll have to see what I can do with it at some point!

EDIT: Actually, wait, -- a question: does this just generate rooms and corridors or does it wind up placing monsters too?

It does place monsters and items/weapons/armor, but it's not always a sensible distribution. Monster counts seems to be in the 50ish range.

15 minutes ago, dasho said:

It does place monsters and items/weapons/armor, but it's not always a sensible distribution. Monster counts seems to be in the 50ish range.

I see, okay. This seems a bit less useful for actual map development then, but sounds fun as a quick and dirty random WAD generator. I'll have to check it out!

11 minutes ago, tsathoggua said:

I see, okay. This seems a bit less useful for actual map development then, but sounds fun as a quick and dirty random WAD generator. I'll have to check it out!

Gotcha...well it looks like current Angband codebase can be dual licensed under either GPL2 or the Angband license (which is what the repo currently contains). I'm going to try to adapt the modern equivalent of that codebase so I can integrate this into Obsidian and expose parameters like monster count, etc etc. Might be a bit, but I'll throw in updates as time goes on. I still need to get permission from the Angdoom author to relicense the non-Angband code portions.

6 hours ago, Gibbon said:

Nice stuff.  Hey, if you don't get the permission, you can feel free to use parts of my C++ rewrite (though most is also valid ANSI C) of Larn for any other generation work you need:

https://github.com/atsb/freelarn/tree/master/src/dungeon

It's Apache licensed, but I'll be happy to allow any snippets you need under GPL2.  Quite different from Angband sources though.

Awesome...I'll definitely take you up on that if I don't end up hearing from the Angdoom author. Thanks!

Good news; the original creator has licensed his code under MIT, which should be compatible with the GPL2 parts of the updated Angband codebase when I port them over. I removed the original repo and forked from the original author's new repository, and will re-post download links when everything is back up to speed under the new license. I'll also post a 64-bit build to keep people from needing to download 32-bit runtimes.

I've updated the release link in the original post; I also added a 64-bit build to the available zips.

1 hour ago, Gwarl said:

which version of angband is this? are vaults implemented?

The original code, i.e. what I've forked so far has the following define:
#define VERSION_STRING  "2.8.3"

Which I'm going to guess is very old at this point. The AngDoom page itself where I found the project was last updated in 2002 for reference.

10 hours ago, dasho said:

The original code, i.e. what I've forked so far has the following define:
#define VERSION_STRING  "2.8.3"

Which I'm going to guess is very old at this point. The AngDoom page itself where I found the project was last updated in 2002 for reference.

1998 yes. Vaults (large pre-made 'interesting rooms' that appear deep in the dungeon) were already part of the angband code at this point but don't seem to exist in angdoom.

v0.2 is available on the Release page; just some small quality-of-life updates:

-Trap areas that would damage you for no apparent reason now have lava flats + increased brightness; I'd like to revisit them and make them more trap-like in the future, but for now this will at least avoid confusion

-Hidden doors will now count as secret sectors when you pass through them; the areas they lead to are not necessarily secrets and can likely be reached by alternate paths

-Places where a stair leading down would be placed now have an exit switch as their wall texture; as far as I know there previously wasn't a way to actually complete the level. There are typically 3-4 places on the level where you can exit.

v0.3 is now available:
-Traps are now proper traps; they will be located in corridors and are one of the three W1 crusher types
-Enabled magma streamer placement; amount of lava floors may need tuning as linedef optimization ends up increasing their total surface area
-Non-blocking debris/gore will be randomly placed throughout the level

Edited by dasho