Doom Podcast - An Evening with Nirvana

Just wanted to chime in that my 5 year old is cracking up at the idea of a cacodemon with a talk show, so thanks for making my day. I'm sure the actual episode will also be great once I set aside some time for it.

I enjoy these interviews because they are always nice to listen to as background while mapping. It's cool to hear a lot of these older and newer designers talk about the creation processes to their respective works.

Wow. Very special episode. Was going to criticize the lack of game dev talk, but I began to realize that you knew what you were doing when interviewing this individual. Especially towards the end. 

I am humbled by the words and works of you both. Thank you again for this excellent show. 

14 hours ago, innerethos said:

Wow. Very special episode. Was going to criticize the lack of game dev talk, but I began to realize that you knew what you were doing when interviewing this individual. Especially towards the end. 

I am humbled by the words and works of you both. Thank you again for this excellent show. 

Thanks for saying this! I try to tailor my questions to my guests and in the case of McGee, I had listened to him on other podcasts and knew he generally didn't remember a huge amount of his time with Doom and didn't necessarily just want to talk about id stuff. He also tends to have a lot to say on important issues and I didn't want to shy away from that, especially considering the themes of the Alice games and what a lot of his fans get out of them. It seems that people in this thread and on Youtube actually did appreciate these aspects of the interview though and it's been great seeing the response!

• 2 weeks later...

Today on the show I'm talking to Rayzik. Creator of maps for Slaughterfest 2012 and Slaughterfest 3, as well as the fantastic Neon Crater and the Cacoward runner up Judgment. You might also know them for their speedruns, which include Swim with the Whales, Stardate 20x6, and Swiftdeath among the nearly 300 demos they've submitted to DSDA.

We talk about how speedrunning influences mapping, working on the slaughterfest wads, and the process of routing large and small maps.

Youtube:

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/1EWvzIJCYuriNHUSfs0Wqp?si=87c28c323fef4825

Twitter: https://twitter.com/nirvanapodcast

Yes!

Gotta have my (bi-)weekly dose of DOOM-talk!

Just wanted to pet you know that although DOOM RADIO was good, your control, voice, and style are already more professional and easier to listen to.

I'll be joining your Patreon this week! Thanks again for the free entertainment!

I have suggestion - why not create one big thread for podcasts, just how here's Dean of Doom thread, it would be easier to track them and people would have one place to talk about them. Now they just get moved in other pages, sometimes with so little attention, even if covered topics are interesting and worth to listen to. 

15 hours ago, Misty said:

I have suggestion - why not create one big thread for podcasts, just how here's Dean of Doom thread, it would be easier to track them and people would have one place to talk about them. Now they just get moved in other pages, sometimes with so little attention, even if covered topics are interesting and worth to listen to. 

I actually did that with the clips thread and kind of wished I had done it with the podcast initially to keep the conversation in one place. Unfortunately at this stage I can't think of an easy way to do that without reposting everything - unless the mods are capable of compiling threads, but that sounds like a lot of work on their end.

Done!

But also, fuck I accidentally merged the clips thread too due to an oversight as I was merging the mass of threads. I'll separate that back into its own thread shortly

Alrighty, all sorted.

Damn, you're legend, Doomkid. Now it should be nicer to have everything in one place and talk on one thread. 

Today on the podcast I'm talking to Dubzzz (or you might know him as Bdubzzz), a Doom speedrunner and mapper who is known for his numerous contributions to community projects like Slaughtermax, Mayhem Orange, the Hellforge Speedmapping sessions, NoYe, and more, as well as for his speedruns. He currently has over 2600 demos recorded on DSDA with a mix of UV Max, Pacifist and D2all runs. He is also notoriously mute.

We discuss Dubz' early introduction to slaughter wads, the reason he mutes his microphone when he streams, and his year of 1,000 demos.

Youtube:

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/0ipFupwniv4si4oj7I3OSP?si=cc8b11d18469475d

Oh shoot, so this is the guy who helped Elmle and Insane Gazebo make the big Holy Hell tribute map that IG talked about in a previous episode. I'll have to check that out one day once I finally get aboard the slaughter/challenge map train.

Today I'm talking to Dragonfly. One of the most prolific Doom mappers you're likely to find, you may know him for some of his Cacoward-winning projects like Skulldash and Eviternity, or perhaps some of the many maps he's made for community projects such as Mayhem, Abyssal Speedmapping, and the Team Rocket CPs. These days you may even know him as a level designer for Prodeus.

We discuss his very early beginnings, the inspiration behind Skulldash, bringing together the Eviternity team, and how he got involved in Prodeus.

Youtube:

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/3eUaYqwX5O7h70VFupF6Tl?si=548dcbb38fea4059

Very exciting guest! I love Eviternity and his albums, and have met Dragonfly on a few projects. He's cool.

Been going through this podcast for a few days, just the names I recognize. I loved the MtPain27, decino, Cyriak, and American McGee episodes. It's always nice and chill while spreading the joy of Doom.

Also, hearing about all the ways people were introduced to Doom makes my introduction feel much stranger. I'm 10 years younger than Doom and I don't think I played it until I found some source ports in a Linux software repository. I beat Freedoom before Doom II, and my first time beating several of the IWADs was on the Doomsday Engine.

This is a call way back to the first episode, with Benjogami, but in case anyone wasn't sure who "Monty" or what "Urkatanyay" was during the discussion of unusual texturing about an hour in, it's Nicolás Monti and Erkattäññe, which won a Cacoward in 2015. The wad other than Eviltech and Erkattäññe which Benjogami calls out as having particularly interesting texturing is Enceladus, an Ultimate Doom E4 replacement.

Well... fiddlesticks. Sad news indeed. It's been an unexpected joy, that's for sure, so thank you for well over 40 hours of great podcasting. This quickly became one of my favorite things to throw on while mapping, the effort and care you put into it made it something special.

I loved the interview with SoBad, I'd never heard his name before but the back-and-forth between you two was fun and felt super comfortable. I'll be looking forward to the new series! 

40 episodes is a phenomenal achievement for a hobbyist podcast, Nirvana, so you should be proud of you efforts; especially having achieved it in such a short time-span. Thank you for putting on a great show while you could, mate. ;^)

We'll never get to see the coffee-drinking Caco again (:

Also, you say you mostly interviewed who you wanted to? I won't question it beyond that, but it does seem curious. 

Edited by LadyMistDragon

38 minutes ago, LadyMistDragon said:

We'll never get to see the coffee-drinking Caco again (:

Also, you say you mostly interviewed who you wanted to? I won't question it beyond that, but it does seem curious. 

There were quite a few people I wanted to interview that either didn't respond or weren't interested, so there are some loose ends. There are definitely instances where I'd do an episode if I get a response from these people out of the blue, so there are opportunities for random episodes of the show to pop up from time to time. I like the idea that it'd just be a nice surprise for people :D

It's just I was thinking a certain Wadazine EIC feels a bit like kind of a gap in the (mostly minor role, apart from perhaps speeding doom Retro's popularity some) Doom communi-tay(I've watched too much Rosie)'s....activities I guess.

Your podcasts were great to listen to, but yeah I can imagine they were very time-consuming to do. Hopefully the SoBad collab will be easier on the schedule and it certainly sounds like an interesting concept. As others have said your SoBad interview was one of the best, you two seemed to gel very well with each other and communication was pretty smooth, so looking forward to it!

Spoiler

Now time to make all those maps named after Nirvana songs ;)

Edited by Horus