[RC3] ACTINIA - A -cl9 Plutonia minisode

Played this one on HMP and holy hell revealed, MAP01 has a hot start if I've ever seen one in a Plutoniaish map. Rest was a bit more manageable, but some of the traps really got me good (I'm talking to you, floodagates engaging button). Highlights: the sheer, fun absurdity of MAP04, and MAP31, easily the best one in the set in my opinion (Babby's first map my a**, layout and detailing are stellar).

Usually the kind of maps I wouldn't enjoy, yet I stuck for all of them and had fun to boot, which is a very good sign. Looking foward to what comes next or, if you can provide links, what came before.

Hello, I played the maps in prboom UV. Maps 01 to 03 were really good, no complaints at all, 04 was something unexpected and good as well, quite generous which is only an observation and not a critique. Map 31 was cute but unfortunately had several setups that didn't work in cl-9. The hitscanners at the start of map 32 were very annoying and I opted to skip it, while the rest was more palatable. 

Spoiler

Onto the issues in map 31:

- The door -sector 327- should either use action 1 or use tags, because S type actions don't function without tags.

- None of the green bunkers open because of the same problem, the sectors need tags.

- Line 2837 must be facing down to be used.

- This whole room showed HOMs for me, but the walls aren't untextured so not sure where's the issue...

Additionally, in map 32:

- You can easily press the exit switch from below the platform, not sure if it's a concern or not

- You could hit the switch teleport in the red pit before it's up, but you first need to know where it is so I wouldn't consider that too important. 

- There're 3 secrets and I think you can only register the ledge with the potions, the other two are unreachable afaik

Thanks for sharing!

Real talk, it's kind of a shitty thing to do to unashamedly snub the name of a project you already know for a fact is being worked on. I see now why people don't advertise the names of their projects prior to release. Please consider releasing this under a different name.

EDIT:
We were able to resolve this amicably. Thanks to MacGuffin for understanding. I was an asshole in this post as I assumed this was an intentional snub, when it clearly wasn't so I would like to apologize to the team for my tone in this post. Obviously I will not edit my OP for posterity but it should be known to anyone that this was a misunderstanding and nothing more. Thanks for understanding guys.

Edited by Meowgi
Apologies for being a twat

15 minutes ago, Meowgi said:

Real talk, it's kind of a shitty thing to do to unashamedly snub the name of a project you already know for a fact is being worked on. I see now why people don't advertise the names of their projects prior to release. Please consider releasing this under a different name.

no

Edited by Babby_32

16 minutes ago, Meowgi said:

I do not keep up with this community very often. "Stankonia" was a suggestion by punchman that he thought would be funny, and we ran with it. I am not aware of any other project under the title of Stankonia, so if you can point me to what you're referring to, that would be appreciated.

And please, ignore the comment above mine.

Edited by MacGuffin

A group of friends and I have been working on a project titled Stankonia since February of this year. An obvious reference to the OutKast album of the same name, we also thought the name would be "funny". The name has been memed about in several twitch streams and discord servers which may be where your friend heard it from, considering it doesn't sound like you guys were aware of the OutKast album prior to this wad's release.

36 minutes ago, Meowgi said:

Real talk, it's kind of a shitty thing to do to unashamedly snub the name of a project you already know for a fact is being worked on.

14 minutes ago, Meowgi said:

The name has been memed about in several twitch streams and discord servers which may be where your friend heard it from, considering it doesn't sound like you guys were aware of the OutKast album prior to this wad's release.

I, as an outside observer, am seeing nothing but unsubstantiated claims and rude language from you. I don't know anything about whatever Twitch streams or Discord servers you may think are common knowledge, but it sounds like you took the name from an album you liked, and maybe somebody else did? Whatever dude, call yours Stankonia too and let the best WAD win.

1 hour ago, Rancid Sam said:

I, as an outside observer, am seeing nothing but unsubstantiated claims and rude language from you. I don't know anything about whatever Twitch streams or Discord servers you may think are common knowledge, but it sounds like you took the name from an album you liked, and maybe somebody else did? Whatever dude, call yours Stankonia too and let the best WAD win.

EDIT: We were able to resolve this amicably.

Edited by Meowgi

35 minutes ago, Meowgi said:

A group of friends and I have been working on a project titled Stankonia since February of this year. An obvious reference to the OutKast album of the same name, we also thought the name would be "funny". The name has been memed about in several twitch streams and discord servers which may be where your friend heard it from, considering it doesn't sound like you guys were aware of the OutKast album prior to this wad's release.

I can't speak for punchman, but he doesn't strike me as the kind of person to be active in the same discord circles as you, and as a matter of fact, I am not. Admittedly, I was unaware of Stankonia being an OutKast album title, but perhaps punchman was and that's where he got the idea from. All things considered, this seems like a mere coincidence to me.
For future reference, you probably shouldn't accuse people of "unashamedly snubbing" things without presenting any hard evidence of that happening. Can we have this discussion split elsewhere now?

5 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Map 31 was cute but unfortunately had several setups that didn't work in cl-9

Reveal hidden contents

Onto the issues in map 31:

- The door -sector 327- should either use action 1 or use tags, because S type actions don't function without tags.

- None of the green bunkers open because of the same problem, the sectors need tags.

- Line 2837 must be facing down to be used.

- This whole room showed HOMs for me, but the walls aren't untextured so not sure where's the issue...

I only tested in boom and DSDA set to boom compatability, try it again in either of those

Edited by Babby_32

8 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Did you load this with Doom II? Because despite that this mapset uses modified Plutonia textures from PRCP2, the HOM in the screenshot is supposed to be replaced by a texture that requires you to load Plutonia's IWAD with the mapset in order to appear.

Also, when I looked at the M_DOOM graphic/OP image I thought the former name of this was "STARTANia", lol

Edited by Hitboi

I loaded plutonia.wad and had prboom+ set to boom compatibility as suggested in the OP, otherwise I would have seen HOMs since the first map lol.

The map (31) still presented the same exact issues in DSDA's boom, which is no different than prboom's boom, including the HOM. I also checked if it was opengl being goofy but it's also there in software mode, so I'm not sure what's going on with that. Out of curiosity I opened the map in udb and changed the "A-ROCK2" to "A-ROCK1" and that seemed to eliminate the HOM, so maybe there's something funky with that other one idk...