DBP49: Mausoleum Nefarium

Recorded this before so maybe not all updated, but don't remember any issues.  Great finale to a great wad!  I especially like the final battle with the lost soul flood, blowing them all up with a BFG with everything else around is pretty satisfying!

Just some little feedback on the wad:

In short, well-crafted experience, it was a blast. The art design is cohesive and consistent. The gameplay was a bunch of fun, and I've found the difficulty to be medium for me (considering I haven't really played a bunch of wads). I regret not taking notes of the highlights in the wad, because I don't really have the patience to go searching now. I can assure you, though, there were many :)

Some midis I felt did not really fit well within the theme, but I bopped my head to them anyway.

Is the music for map05 from Jazz the Jackrabbit?

Edited by fuzzytrick

1 secret in Map08 is set in the wall that is inaccessible; the 6 of 11 secrets in Map09 also have the same problem as the one in Map08.  I hope you guys could take a bit to scrutinize them all and upload a hotfix version.

Edited by K_krimson painkekk
edited content

• 1 month later...

I know it's probably too late for this, but...

MAP07: there is no way to grab green armor 191 and kill lost souls 57 and 59. Thus 100% kills is impossible.

MAP08: sector 599 shouldn't be secret.

MAP10: 7 monster closets are broken and thus 100% kills is impossible.

3 hours ago, Caleb13 said:

there is no way to grab green armor 191 and kill lost souls 57 and 59. Thus 100% kills is impossible.

Lost souls only count towards the kill count in GZDoom

Very atmospheric mapset, even if combat felt a bit meh in some places.

MAP09 is kind of borked, though (I've played through Crispy Doom FYI): revisiting the gory BFG hallway thrice results in a softlock (which I came across normally), while stimpacks and torches in the giant courtyard area (with two big fights, a plasma and a BFG) seem to hang in the air.

EDIT: I have no idea how to get to the right wing hallway in MAP03 and if it's even possible - the teleport's too wide to go around it, and there's stimpacks and ammo boxes surrounding it. I suppose that part's unfinished since the skull switch there doesn't act as a switch at all. And that's the area with all the armour bonuses.

EDIT: There's also an inescapable pit in MAP10 next to the ledge a mancubus's standing on, reachable through the red bars:

DOOM0036.png.76f72f41eabf6a31a77ff3169504cb46.png

EDIT: Realised the version I've played was outdated, both of the softlocks I've described aren't a thing anymore, but MAP03 is still a headscratcher lol

Edited by brightentayle

20 hours ago, brightentayle said:

Very atmospheric mapset, even if combat felt a bit meh in some places.

MAP09 is kind of borked, though (I've played through Crispy Doom FYI): revisiting the gory BFG hallway thrice results in a softlock (which I came across normally), while stimpacks and torches in the giant courtyard area (with two big fights, a plasma and a BFG) seem to hang in the air.

EDIT: I have no idea how to get to the right wing hallway in MAP03 and if it's even possible - the teleport's too wide to go around it, and there's stimpacks and ammo boxes surrounding it. I suppose that part's unfinished since the skull switch there doesn't act as a switch at all. And that's the area with all the armour bonuses.

EDIT: There's also an inescapable pit in MAP10 next to the ledge a mancubus's standing on, reachable through the red bars:

DOOM0036.png.76f72f41eabf6a31a77ff3169504cb46.png

EDIT: Realised the version I've played was outdated, both of the softlocks I've described aren't a thing anymore, but MAP03 is still a headscratcher lol

thanks for the reports. I think map03 was an artistic decision. I always wondered what was on the other side of that teleport pad myself...

On 8/25/2022 at 2:59 PM, Caleb13 said:

MAP10: 7 monster closets are broken and thus 100% kills is impossible.

Which closets were broken? I tried to replicate the error but wasn't able to.

@matador Here is screenshot, I played on UV in GZdoom 4.8.2. The monsters move inside, but never teleport out. Also, there is some visual irregularity (wrong texture or unclosed sector) around linedef 4359. Why are sectors 342 and 862 even there?

Screenshot_Doom_20220902_200405.png

Edited by Caleb13

On 9/2/2022 at 2:08 PM, Caleb13 said:

@matador Here is screenshot, I played on UV in GZdoom 4.8.2. The monsters move inside, but never teleport out. Also, there is some visual irregularity (wrong texture or unclosed sector) around linedef 4359. Why are sectors 342 and 862 even there?

Haven't tested this in GZDoom yet but the monsters all teleported as expected in PRBoom+ & DSDA-Doom on complevel 2 so I wonder if this might be a port specific issue. I'm a bit stumped as to why it's not working as expected but I'll continue to try and figure out what's going on. Thanks for mentioning the visual issue, that should be fixed now - I uploaded a minor bugfix (same link as in the OP) that should fix this as well as a softlock in my map. The sectors were there for adding some light to the banners, 862 was because a shadow bissected 342.

It's a GZDoom issue (at least it used to be. Don't know what current versions of GZDoom have fixed/altered). IIRC, radius+1 units of a monster has to cross a teleport line for it to teleport. I'm actually surprised any of the monsters teleported. All of them have to get 4 units or less from the wall to teleport. Most monsters won't do that unless they're forced. Revenant AI probably keeps them farther from objects/walls. The tag 5 and 6 Shotgunguys didn't teleport because their teleport lines are pointing to the Demon closets to the west of them and there are no teleport landing spots. I think you'll have to move the monsters north to the platforms that lower and put more distance between the teleport lines and the south walls of their closets.

• 9 months later...

Sorry for bumping, but here's my full playthrough of this DBP. A number of still unresolved technical issues had me either noclipping or slightly editing the maps themselves for UV-Max. It's a very nice wad with a great theme, but I'm posting this in the hopes that it will garner some interest for bug fixes. Apologies again for the bump!