Overboard - 6 map island hopping adventure (now on idgames!)

On 9/24/2022 at 6:51 PM, Cyberdemon531 said:

rip

Indeed.

I've tested all the demos from the demo thread and the only ones that desync are for map1/8, so that inlcudes both your multi-map runs.

Here is a list of the map changes and probability of desync:

Spoiler

Map#    change                   desync

map1    door action              likely
map2    texture alignment    seems ok
map3    multiplayer flag       seems ok
map4    no change
map5    multiplayer flag       seems ok
map6    monster block line    possibly
map7    no change
map8    door action              likely
map9    texture alignment    should be ok/unchecked
map10    no change
map11    no change
map12    multiplayer flag     should be ok/unchecked
map13    extra imp              likely/unchecked
map14    no change

map31    no change

I've uploaded the update today so it should hit idgames in the next whenever. I'll post here when it does

Edited by mouldy

3 hours ago, Pistoolkip said:

Seriously fun and just the right amount of challenge!

Cheers mate. Enjoy the rest

Ah, this is some really neat stuff. I just finished it on UV+brutaldoom mod (2.1) and it was a blast. Nice architecture, unique theme, some humour, fancy explosions, a couple of secrets, lots of monsters, traps and hard batttles - but never really unfair. It'd give this 6/7 map series 5 ***** of 5.

And nice map names. :)

PS: I had only one issue on Archi-Pelago, I could get into the columns and thus not progress - had to noclip, kill the two monsters and the teleports would be free. Not sure if I missed a trigger line or switch (maybe it was too covered in blood ;-) ?) or if something got messed up by the addition of brutaldoom. (gzdoom 4.8.2 Linux)

Edited by Cacodemon

11 hours ago, Cacodemon said:

Ah, this is some really neat stuff. I just finished it on UV+brutaldoom mod (2.1) and it was a blast. Nice architecture, unique theme, some humour, fancy explosions, a couple of secrets, lots of monsters, traps and hard batttles - but never really unfair. It'd give this 6/7 map series 5 ***** of 5.

And nice map names. :)

PS: I had only one issue on Archi-Pelago, I could get into the columns and thus not progress - had to noclip, kill the two monsters and the teleports would be free. Not sure if I missed a trigger line or switch (maybe it was too covered in blood ;-) ?) or if something got messed up by the addition of brutaldoom. (gzdoom 4.8.2 Linux)

Thanks. Any mods that mess with the monster behaviour are liable to break things, because i use monsters to trigger a lot of stuff. Brutal doom appears to break this map because there are imps outside the map who are normally prevented from activating a trigger by a gap in the floor, and brutal doom allows them to cross this gap it seems.

Maxed every map from pistol start today. Awesome wad.

P.S. Am I the only one who found super secret map 31?

1 hour ago, Lewonx said:

Maxed every map from pistol start today. Awesome wad.

P.S. Am I the only one who found super secret map 31?

Mate, you've made my afternoon. No idea this had a little extra secret. And good lord, is it IMPactful... 

heh, map 31 is something silly i knocked up for the demos which autoplay on some ports. Originally it wasn't intended for people to play it, but I figured someone would try so I made it at least possible to finish.

just completed Overboard New Game + on UV Fast and it was probably the hardest thing I've ever done. Prolly cuz I'm bad or something but, I rate it like a 8/10 pretty cool wad cyriak

Oh, "finally" completed it! The last two levels, Archi-Pelago+ and Seaside Siege+ really were something, even with me using saves. I guess Archi-Pelago+ was really, really hard until I noticed the invuln sphere when the archvile horde emerges. Seaside Siege on the other hand... oopfh! I only managed to complete it when an archvile pummeled me to the secret area you normally access through the wooden shack, I could just wait there while others infight, and SSG would-be intruders away :P Some 400 monsters were killed while I was camping there... I really want to see Decino beat that saveless... and thus make me feel like a total newbie D:

Anyway, thanks @mouldy; Going Down is one of my definite favourite pwads, and now Overboard is up there, too!

Is the super secret map actually completeable? I mean in practice? I tried it for a while, but I'd be dead long before second megasphere (I think) shows up, and if I were alive, grabbing it would mean the hordes would overflow the ammo cache. Dead, either way...

Edited by RHhe82

1 hour ago, RHhe82 said:

Is the super secret map actually completeable? I mean in practice? I tried it for a while, but I'd be dead long before second megasphere (I think) shows up, and if I were alive, grabbing it would mean the hordes would overflow the ammo cache. Dead, either way...

I was able to actually beat the level legit, though it took me a dozen attempts and a convenient save in the middle of the fight.

Edited by s4f3s3x
typo

4 hours ago, RHhe82 said:

Seaside Siege on the other hand... oopfh! I only managed to complete it when an archvile pummeled me to the secret area you normally access through the wooden shack, I could just wait there while others infight, and SSG would-be intruders away

In case you didn't know, you can shoot the sand castle for a bit of help if you get in trouble there.

Map 31 is definitely possible. The sea is quite generous with space to circle around them, so i'd recommend some occasional imp-kiting to get them all away from the ammo cache

Finished this in one sitting today on UV-Max, after decino started uploading the regular maps. Gorgeous, innovative and has one of the best difficulty curves I've seen for relatively short maps. Map 12 and 13 (Arch+ and Seaside+) are brutal but doable after a few attempts. Given that the map sizes are relatively small, this is not a chore as you aren't required to beat five easy fights before getting destroyed by a ridiculous final fight: even in Arch+, the final wave is reached within a minute or three. Map 31 is a bit silly, but proper crowd control at the start, kiting them away with ~500 left is enough to give you space to pick up the second mega and the ammo; then it's... smooth sailing? Thanks again for this absolute masterpiece.

Edited by Qoko

I really appreciate your unique style of mapping, @mouldy.

Just like Going Down, this was also a memorable map pack and had a blast with. 
I just wish there were more! :D

Seriously, the geometry, the textures, the quirky MIDI, the atmosphere… your style is recognizable after the first tick!

Thanks for the terrific work, it was very memorable! :)

3 hours ago, mouldy said:

In case you didn't know, you can shoot the sand castle for a bit of help if you get in trouble there.

I was watching Decino's playthrough today, this was the last item he was missing and running around for like 10 minutes trying to find. Very sneaky but a nice touch.

Played the pack earlier today, nice and fun set of maps with some neat visuals; plus I love anything with a tropical theme.

Hoping to complete it at some point cause I'm really loving it so far.

06:23 Thank you Mr. Mouldy for the bug fixed.  Though I still don’t understand  why the red skull key slides into the wall before, with the same mod combination it works fine now.

Demo Island is fun to play for sure. 900+ imps and BFG, that’s total massacre !!

Also the Skeleton Coast again!! I saw it in the background on map01 and map08, now it also shows up on map31.  I wonder if it’s the very first map you made for Overboard.  (I was taking a fast tour again though, really appreciate those details even outside the boundaries.)

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've never laughed at a joke in Doom as much as I did for Map05's ending. Brilliant set!

Edited by JBerg

• 1 month later...

I don't know if this was already mentioned but Map 13 has a typo in the map name. The name of map is displayed in-game as "Seaside Seige +" rather than "Seaside Siege +". I just wanted to make sure this isn't intentional since the map names aren't listed in the text file.

Btw, could you post the names of the music tracks used in the wad?

Edited by Gregor

thanks for lettting me know, although i dont think i'm going to do any more updates for this wad now, so i'll have to live with that typo.

the tracks dont have names, i guess you can refer to them as the map names if you like

3 hours ago, mouldy said:

thanks for lettting me know, although i dont think i'm going to do any more updates for this wad now, so i'll have to live with that typo.

the tracks dont have names, i guess you can refer to them as the map names if you like

So the midi for map01 would be called cruisn'n_uac.mid? I'm just asking for the wiki article. Then i'll use "seaside siege +" since the misspelling wasn't intentional. Sure you don't wanna give the tracks some quick names though? ;) 

26 minutes ago, Gregor said:

So the midi for map01 would be called cruisn'n_uac.mid? I'm just asking for the wiki article. Then i'll use "seaside siege +" since the misspelling wasn't intentional. Sure you don't wanna give the tracks some quick names though? ;) 

I'd rather not give the tracks names in case I end up using them somewhere else, so don't worry about listing them on the wiki, cheers