ACE Engine v2 - DOS Doom II [vanilla++?]

kgsws

2 hours ago, Biz! said:

Unfortunately, it didn't work, even with your config, i'm assuming it has to do with either the iwad or exe, i'll set it to the ones that are in my steam folder.

EDIT: Unfortunately, still isn't working, maybe I need to update DOSBOX Staging.

EDIT 2: Unfortunately again, that didn't work, maybe I need to use some .bat file for it.

I'll suggest you to use D-Fend Reloaded. I'm using it right now. It's a Dosbox with Windows GUI. You don't have to write bats here. Just drag and drop doom2.exe, setup the graphics emulation and setup the command line for game (doom2 -file ademo.wad). You will need to setup the audio parameters too, but that's not a big problem.

15 hours ago, THEBaratusII said:

Any possibility of adding support for SBARINFO allowing custom HUDs in the ACE Engine?

Yes, it is possible. Though i do not have this on my plan right now.

You can at least override original ammo counters for new ammo types. Check stbar.ammo in mod config.

9 hours ago, No-Man Baugh said:

FAKE MOUSE AIM, IT'S THE BEST!!!

It's weird at first, very different experience indeed.

9 hours ago, Biz! said:

Hey, I tried loading both the demo wad and the release wad, and they both crash Dosbox X and Dosbox staging when loading with Rocket Launcher 2, do I have to do some funky Dosbox magic with something similar to .bat files or is this just some mysterious settings thing when I don't change anything?

If it does not work you are likely using wrong doom2.exe. It is quite stupid, but there are at least three different 1.9 versions.

You can't use EXE from plutonia or TNT. You can't use EXE from The Ultimate Doom. And, of course, version 1.666 won't work either.

Edited by kgsws

I always wanted such a UDMF flag for 3D floors that would make them behave like that:

- monsters can see through it (I know it's inverse visibility flag);

- hitscan shots and any projectiles can pass through them as they were non-solid;

- monsters and players can not pass through them as they were solid for them.

That way we can finally have proper "Vanilla" grade 3D-floor metallic fences and bridges like those found in Map26: Abandoned mines and many others.

3 hours ago, kgsws said:

If it does not work you are likely using wrong doom2.exe. It is quite stupid, but there are at least three different 1.9 versions.

You can't use EXE from plutonia or TNT. You can't use EXE from The Ultimate Doom. And, of course, version 1.666 won't work either.

I'm using the Doom 2 EXE you can pick up from Doomkid's vanilla exe download.

12 minutes ago, Biz! said:

I'm using the Doom 2 EXE you can pick up from Doomkid's vanilla exe download.

Have you set any special commands? One example is Overlay mounting (GOG!!!) which for some reason causes DOSBox to crash, i'll have to look at that later.

11 hours ago, Dexiaz said:

I'll suggest you to use D-Fend Reloaded. I'm using it right now. It's a Dosbox with Windows GUI. You don't have to write bats here. Just drag and drop doom2.exe, setup the graphics emulation and setup the command line for game (doom2 -file ademo.wad). You will need to setup the audio parameters too, but that's not a big problem.

Your trick worked, and now I have a Dosbox I can figure out, thank you so much.

15 hours ago, kgsws said:

It's weird at first, very different experience indeed.

Your fake mouse option heavily reminds to me this:

It's a Doom engine, actually. All maps are just Hexen-like format and can be opened in Doom Builder.

So I suppose it's even possible to recreate the mechanics with full-motion fake mouse + moving Doomguy/camera without pressing walk buttons.

Edited by Dexiaz

On 6/10/2023 at 11:58 AM, Dexiaz said:

@kgsws, you're a great programmer and mod maker! Well, I've managed to rework your demo wad to create a special patch for "Doom 64 for Doom 2" mod, which adds Unmaker weapon to the regular weaponset. This was impossible with Dehacked, yeah.

And now I understand much more about ACE Engine modding, because it took 2 hours to figure out how ACE Decorate lumps are working here. I mean, any mistake and the game crashes. This is a tough task, it need some time to get used for this.

Holy shit, that Unmaker looks SICK! Where did you find such a demonic beauty?

Edited by WorldMachine

On 6/12/2023 at 5:34 AM, Dexiaz said:

It's a Doom engine, actually. All maps are just Hexen-like format and can be opened in Doom Builder.

It's probably not using the Doom engine, just a reverse engineered map format.

Edited by Individualised

On 6/12/2023 at 6:34 AM, Dexiaz said:

Your fake mouse option heavily reminds to me this

Yeah, it reminds me old arcade games where you could only aim at enemies but the path was prerendered.

6 hours ago, THEBaratusII said:

I made a overview video covering the ACE Engine v2 demo.

Pretty cool to see someone else play my demo wad. And it runs quite well on your hardware.

(i wish i could talk like that in my videos)

15 minutes ago, EpicTyphlosion said:

Would it be possible to support some of the newer "vanilla plus" modding features? (dehextra, umapinfo, etc.)

It would. I was actually thinking about adding dehextra soon but i am still not sure. Using decorate you can add same actors as you would in dehextra and make your WAD compatible with multiple source ports.

You can disable dehacked parser specifically in your wad - in mod config.

Yeah, i understand you would have to do "two" mods in one wad, but you will get GZDoom compatibility for free.

On 6/15/2023 at 1:31 AM, WorldMachine said:

Holy shit, that Unmaker looks SICK! Where did you find such a demonic beauty?

It's a sprite from 64k+ mod by zrrion the insect. I've asked his permission to reuse his sprite.

4 hours ago, Dreemurr Deceevurr said:

Am I the only one having trouble getting sound to work? I've tried DOSBox Staging and DOSBox-X and I get no sound on either program.

That could be a fault of demo WAD. I have already changed this behavior in V2 release, but not i demo WAD.

1) Make sure your sound works in original Doom2

2) delete ACE.CFG

3) run demo WAD

If your sound does not work in original Doom2, i can't help though.

5 hours ago, kgsws said:

That could be a fault of demo WAD. I have already changed this behavior in V2 release, but not i demo WAD.

1) Make sure your sound works in original Doom2

2) delete ACE.CFG

3) run demo WAD

If your sound does not work in original Doom2, i can't help though.

Deleting the CFG fixed it! Thanks!

I have been playing around with the Demo and custom wads with this and I was wondering something. What needs to be done to allow player jumping? I noticed in some wads I can't quite jump with this. And I can't seem to find a command when looking through the Demo in Slade. So what has to be done? Thank you in advanced.

3 hours ago, LinHero20XX said:

I have been playing around with the Demo and custom wads with this and I was wondering something. What needs to be done to allow player jumping? I noticed in some wads I can't quite jump with this. And I can't seem to find a command when looking through the Demo in Slade. So what has to be done? Thank you in advanced.

Jumping is up to mod authors. You can't enable jumping globally as it is property of player class. And this is intended behavior for old map "compatibility".

You have to create new player class that has this property set to desired value.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Actor_properties#Player.JumpZ

Also note that new player class has to be added using KEYCONF.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/KEYCONF

So yeah, you can't enable jumping if mod itself does not allow it in the first place.

3 minutes ago, kgsws said:

Jumping is up to mod authors. You can't enable jumping globally as it is property of player class. And this is intended behavior for old map "compatibility".

You have to create new player class that has this property set to desired value.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Actor_properties#Player.JumpZ

Also note that new player class has to be added using KEYCONF.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/KEYCONF

So yeah, you can't enable jumping if mod itself does not allow it in the first place.

Okay, thank you. I didn't know that.

I was able to run Map03 from my GZDoom's Hell Renaissance project and it ran really smooth in the begininng of the map on Pentium 133 DosBox, the only sad thing occured was that the renderer made it out of visplanes... is there any way the limits like these to be lifted for us "rich pentium owners"?

Edited by Darkcrafter07

19 hours ago, Darkcrafter07 said:

I was able to run Map03 from my GZDoom's Hell Renaissance project and it ran really smooth in the begininng of the map on Pentium 133 (PCem though), the only sad thing occured was that the renderer made it out of visplanes... is there any way the limits like these to be lifted for us "rich pentium owners"?

That visplane leaking looks like some kind of bug. I am not sure why it happens on normal (non-3D) floors. If you are out of visplanes game should just crash like the original.

But anyway, you can set visplane (and more) limit in mod config. Check ACE_CONF in demo wad.

Here's documentation: https://github.com/kgsws/doom_ace/blob/master/doc/config.md

• 4 months later...

Well, there are no updates and i don't plan any ... so far.

But maybe someone is working on cool mods? I would like to see some.

8 hours ago, kgsws said:

Slowly, but I'm working on my Boiled Doom recreated from scratch on your ACE Engine. I do remember you was the first who suggested this cool idea. I'm grateful to you twice: first, because you was interested in my project enough to suggest this idea, and second, you've created a mega update for your ACE Engine (not for me, but for everyone. And we're grateful for that).

On 11/1/2023 at 12:11 AM, kgsws said:

Well, there are no updates and i don't plan any ... so far.

Saw your project doesn't have a license, which might be an issue for people who want to fork it .

If it's ok for you I could make a PR for a GPL3 license , or you could just create a LICENSE file with the license text and commit it. GitHub should even help you with putting that file almost automatically. 

Given the project inherently links to non free code, GPL by itself is probably not a suitable license. You'd need at least a linking exception, LGPL, or something more permissive.