gzdoom 4.8.2 mod autoloading

recently updated gzdoom from 4.6 and autoloading mods via .ini is no longer working.  i can't find any info on this. has the feature changed or is there a mistake on my end?

It should be exactly the same afaik. Double-check if your load paths are correct. Maybe try a clean install if all else fails (God I wish GZDoom had an autoload folder).

Edited by Mike Stu

Check to see if the "Disable autoload" option is checked on the launch window, or use the console command "disableautoload" to check/change.

I always forget to reenable the autoload all the time.

3 hours ago, Mike Stu said:

(God I wish GZDoom had an autoload folder).

You can make a folder anywhere and add that folder path into your GZDoom autoload. You can put in whatever WADS/PK3s/ETC, you want to load in that folder and it'll work.

4 hours ago, DoomTheRobot said:

You can make a folder anywhere and add that folder path into your GZDoom autoload. You can put in whatever WADS/PK3s/ETC, you want to load in that folder and it'll work.

Oh wow. I actually did not know that. Thought you had to specify the path to the file name itself, so thanks for that.

Still, this is limited in functionality, right? Say I wanna autoload stuff with a specific PWAD. Afaik, the ini. autoloading in GZDoom only supports commercial Doom releases, whereas most modern sourceports will just have a designated autoload folder which detects all IWADs and PWADs. Please correct if I'm mistaken tho, not that familiar with ZDoom.

13 hours ago, Mike Stu said:

Say I wanna autoload stuff with a specific PWAD. Afaik, the ini.

You are better off just making a .bat file or saving a launch configuration using a front-end (such as ZDL/Doom Explorer) if you want to have a specific WAD load list for certain PWADs.

13 hours ago, Mike Stu said:

autoloading in GZDoom only supports commercial Doom releases, whereas most modern sourceports will just have a designated autoload folder which detects all IWADs and PWADs.

Above all the IWAD autoload lines in the .ini there is a autoload category called "[Global.Autoload]" which does exactly as it says: Autoloads across ALL IWADs.

You can change/add paths to the "[IWADSearch.Directories]" (for IWADs) and "[FileSearch.Directories]" (for PWADs) lists found at the top of the .ini file so GZDoom can find everything if all your IWADS or PWADS are somewhere else that the sourceport can't manage to find.

Edited by DoomTheRobot

21 hours ago, DoomTheRobot said:

Check to see if the "Disable autoload" option is checked on the launch window, or use the console command "disableautoload" to check/change.

I always forget to reenable the autoload all the time.

interesting.  disableautoload wasn't enabled.  for some reason i can't get gzdoom to generate a fresh .ini...

2 hours ago, KillPixel said:

for some reason i can't get gzdoom to generate a fresh .ini...

Is your GZDoom located in your Program Files directory? It's possible that it does not have permission to write files where it is located and has put your .ini file in %APPDATA% instead.

On 8/19/2022 at 12:47 AM, DoomTheRobot said:

Is your GZDoom located in your Program Files directory? It's possible that it does not have permission to write files where it is located and has put your .ini file in %APPDATA% instead.

that's it, for some reason it's writing to appdata.  just checked and permissions have not changed, it should be able to write in the base dir no problem.  maybe there's a new option I'm missing?  I'll dig around.  Thanks!