Voxel Doom Releasing Today

I love this mod! This is some seriously amazing work put into this... Looking forward to revisiting good ol' Doom with voxel stuffs... Thank you so much!

Now Doom monsters are even more cuddlable then before, yay!

1 hour ago, Marcelus said:

why this  position? But ok...

idk. because they got poor taste for interior design?

9 hours ago, Shawny said:

Because they are positioned in the map like that.

2D sprites always rotate with player´s view so the angle of those doesn´t matter.
As I joked before, now that these are practically 3D models, the angle they have does matter.
This is why monsters are always angled the right way, since monsters have (and always had) sprites for all the angles

and are placed in maps with that in mind.

2d vs 3d is ok but this is illogical position. When I walked around the castles in my country I do not see candelabra in this position and everytime was placed against the wall. it is not only about aesthetic perception but also about logical placement but ok this is creator choice. 

1 minute ago, Marcelus said:

2d vs 3d is ok but this is illogical position. When I walked around the castles in my country I do not see candelabra in this position and everytime was placed against the wall. it is not only about aesthetic perception but also about logical placement but ok this is creator choice. 

The creator of this mod did not choose this position, id software did. But id did not realize that this is kind of badly positioned because the original sprites always turn around to face you with their front side and so positioning and angle didn't matter when not using voxels.

Regarding objects having wrong angles (e.g. candelabras in E1M1):

For those objects to be positioned "correctly", one would need something what is used e.g. in the Duke Nukem 3D Voxel Pack: maphacks. These are basically files which can change rotations/offsets of items and objects without having to alter the map itself.

I could imagine this might also become a very popular thing in Doom soon after this release...

Edited by NightFright

3 hours ago, NightFright said:

Regarding objects having wrong angles (e.g. candelabras in E1M1):

For those objects to be positioned "correctly", one would need something what is used e.g. in the Duke Nukem 3D Voxel Pack: maphacks. These are basically files which can change rotations/offsets of items and objects without having to alter the map itself.

I could imagine this might also become a very popular thing in Doom soon after this release...

I was thinking about BUILD maphacks with this! I remember early on in the Duke High Resolution Project days they ran into the same issue, but it was far more obvious due to how many more objects are in Duke 3D. What would be ideal imo is if Doom's maphacks hit two birds with one stone and just stored a delta between the original map and the fix. That way you can also fix things like the bugged secret in MAP15.

Nash mentioned earlier in this thread that they were thinking about using maphacks to correct all the orientations.

7 minutes ago, segfault said:

What would be ideal imo is if Doom's maphacks hit two birds with one stone and just stored a delta between the original map and the fix. That way you can also fix things like the bugged secret in MAP15.

IIRC GZDoom already does this for the MAP15 secret (by removing the secret tag from it), as well as various bugs in other maps.

Edit: See here. I think the maphacks to correct the orientations would work in a similar fashion.

Edited by Shepardus

Yeah. Since it's a GZDoom mod after all, the possibility to address these issues actually pretty much exists already. And if it doesn't, it shouldn't require much effort to add sprite angle rotation support.

Edited by NightFright

This mod looks incredible in action. This is probably the best thing I've seen come out of the community in years.

Gee, I'm wondering mischievously if it's possible to add extra animation frames to those voxel models... 

On 8/18/2022 at 5:31 AM, NightFright said:

Chillo didn't disappoint with this release. Since I am a Quake fan as well, I am a bit sad he had to stop his Q1 modelling activities for this, but seeing the result of his hard work, I have to concede it was worth it, without a doubt. 

Thanks a lot for finally giving Doom the voxels it deserves! (Silently hoping more ports than just GZDoom will eventually support this in some way, without intending to ask for too much.)

If I remember correctly, DelphiDoom, Doomsday and Risen3D all supports voxels in some way, making model packs for these source ports is very easy and simple, you can literally just drop a model and set which sprite it's going to replace.

Hey @Cheello, do you give permission for someone to extract your models and put them in other source ports? With you being credited as the creator of course. I would do it myself but I don't currently have enough time now.

How long do each sprites take to make on average and will you be replacing Doom 2 assets eventually? Also, would weapons work using voxels or no?

Edited by Lizardcommando

15 hours ago, Rellik66 said:

I kinda want to see this working in both the RTX port and the VR port

This is a GZDoom mod, so it should work on the VR fork, the RTX port is completely abandoned for now and since it's based on PrBoom+ UM it'll probably never work with 3D models.

13 hours ago, Lizardcommando said:

How long do each sprites take to make on average and will you be replacing Doom 2 assets eventually? Also, would weapons work using voxels or no?

I think he answered both of these questions on his Youtube channel.

Edited by Metal_Slayer

34 minutes ago, Metal_Slayer said:

This is a GZDoom mod, so it should work on the VR fork, the RTX port is completely abandoned for now and since it's based on PrBoom+ UM it'll probably never work with 3D models.

image.png.e8634e3db7b46929c43cc0ef08a291f5.png

Looks like the VR fork is a few too many versions behind, darn.

I'm a little late to the party, i remember a video about voxel doom releasing soon, man i'll play it so hard because i've been waiting for so long

EDIT : This is revolutionary! Screenshot_Doom_20220820_171926.png.cf7ab3f11dd4a9e7caa1208b4405ee9a.png

Edited by Frost-Core

1 hour ago, Frost-Core said:

I'm a little late to the party, i remember a video about voxel doom releasing soon, man i'll play it so hard because i've been waiting for so long

EDIT : This is revolutionary! Screenshot_Doom_20220820_171926.png.cf7ab3f11dd4a9e7caa1208b4405ee9a.png

I haven't seen @Maes post here in a while, but this truly wondrous Doom development awaits his return.

3 hours ago, Rellik66 said:

image.png.e8634e3db7b46929c43cc0ef08a291f5.png

Looks like the VR fork is a few too many versions behind, darn.

Editing the version string on zscript.zc can make it work on older versions, like this:

Spoiler

Screenshot_20220820-170701.jpg.442a751735368dc7c29f90b338347b57.jpg

This is how it looks on GZDoom 3.2.5

I managed to make this work on GZDoom 3.2.5 (the second to the oldest GZDoom version on Delta Touch) and it works fine. Before editing, I had the same error as you, but it said "only 3.2.4 supported".

You can try this:

-Open "chello_voxels.zip"

-Open "zscript.zc" with a text editor

-Go to line 11, there will be a sting that says "Version 4.8.2" and change it to "3.2.0" (or lower). Save the file

-Test the mod again on your GZDoom version and cross your fingers :P

I can't guarantee it will work, but hey, it won't hurt to give it a try :D

Edited by LUISDooM

1 hour ago, LUISDooM said:

Editing the version string on zscript.zc can make it work on older versions, like this:

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_20220820-170701.jpg.442a751735368dc7c29f90b338347b57.jpg

This is how it looks on GZDoom 3.2.5

I managed to make this work on GZDoom 3.2.5 (the second to the oldest GZDoom version on Delta Touch) and it works fine. Before editing, I had the same error as you, but it said "only 3.2.4 supported".

You can try this:

-Open "chello_voxels.zip"

-Open "zscript.zc" with a text editor

-Go to line 11, there will be a sting that says "Version 4.8.2" and change it to "3.2.0" (or lower). Save the file

-Test the mod again on your GZDoom version and cross your fingers :P

I can't guarantee it will work, but hey, it won't hurt to give it a try :D

That seems to have worked, thanks! I haven't seen anything too glaring yet.

The Pinkies are legit scary in VR. This mod is easily one of the biggest things to ever happen with vanilla Doom. Too bad other source ports don't support voxels (or atleast these ones) AFAIK. 

I got to try this out for a bit and this looks pretty cool! I've thrown this at a vanil-ish set-up of GZDoom I'm using (mostly in terms of aesthetics) and there are moments the voxels almost gives off an optical illusion effect from a distance until you get to see them monsters up close when viewing the models in junction with NightFright's RetroShader/Pixelizer and Dark Assassin's XPaletteTonemapper mods.

Screenshots:

gaYzpQN.png

TcafUfO.png

Edited by AmethystViper

On 8/19/2022 at 8:46 AM, AdNauseam said:

The creator of this mod did not choose this position, id software did. But id did not realize that this is kind of badly positioned because the original sprites always turn around to face you with their front side and so positioning and angle didn't matter when not using voxels.

I do not have much information about this mod  and I think wrong position was creator choice. Thanks for more info. 

On 8/21/2022 at 6:56 AM, Muusi said:

The Pinkies are legit scary in VR. This mod is easily one of the biggest things to ever happen with vanilla Doom. Too bad other source ports don't support voxels (or atleast these ones) AFAIK. 

@jval's DelphiDoom does (with a software renderer too!), but I'm unsure of how much much effort it'd be to port.

I love it. One of the best mods I've seen. Your 3D models perfectly capture the essence of the original sprites. Very very good work.

Do you plan to tweak spectre transparency level? Maybe set it to something more transparent to make it less visible. This and the initial position/rotation of the objects. The rest is... perfect.

And for dreaming... A smooth version of this mod would be even more amazing. :D